Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
AMTP10E

Union Bullies Boy Scout for Dastardly Good Deed

Regardless of where they are in the world, unions are a classy bunch.

This Boy Scout better hide, the SEIU have a tendency to beat people they don't like right into hospital.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local-...d-70285552.html

A 17-year-old Boy Scout worked more than 200 hours to clear a path in his local park so that people could enjoy walking and biking along the river.

Bad move Boy Scout. Now grown men who didn’t get around to doing it for a paycheck are after you.

Kevin Anderson, a junior at Southern Lehigh High School, a varsity soccer player and a Boy Scout hoping to get his Eagle Scout badge, spent 250 hours over several weeks creating a path on the partially complete 165-mile Delaware and Lehigh National Heritage Corridor that runs through Kimmets Lock Park in Allentown, reports The Morning Call.

"I decided to do my part in completing this part of the trail. In that way, others could enjoy walking along the river, without having to walk on the busy road," Anderson said in an e-mail, says The Morning Call.

But once the city’s municipal union caught wind of this do-gooder breath of fresh air, it put up a stink at Tuesday’s city council meeting. Nick Balzano, president of the local Service Employees International Unions said its considering filing a grievance against the city for allowing such good, free-of-charge, work to happen.

"We'll be looking into the Cub Scout or Boy Scout who did the trails," Balzano told the council, reports The Morning Call.

Anderson’s act of carving out a 1,000-foot path is not seen as good community service by the union because it was the only group to suffer layoffs in the city’s current financial downturn.

"We would hope that the well-intentioned efforts of an Eagle Scout candidate would not be challenged by the union," said Mayor Ed Pawlowski in an e-mail Friday. "This young man is performing a great service to the community. His efforts should be recognized as such."

Yes. I'm sure this guys speaks for all unions when he decries such foul and selfish actions.

I think we should take employment back to the industrial era, the golden age of equality and fair pay.

Then the little shit wouldn't have time to clear paths, in between stints in a dangerous cotton mill.

Also note this is an American union. Those guys are so shell-shocked you're never sure what to expect.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Wait... you're serious...

Yes. I'm sure this guys speaks for all unions when he decries such foul and selfish actions.

I think we should take employment back to the industrial era, the golden age of equality and fair pay.

Then the little shit wouldn't have time to clear paths, in between stints in a dangerous cotton mill.

A teenager got off their ass and did some work. Say it isn't so!

Also note this is an American union. Those guys are so shell-shocked you're never sure what to expect.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Wait... you're serious...

There's a reason the unions in the US have fuck all influence compared to Australia.

The guys in this story are obviously out of line (or have been quoted really out of context). With the minimum wage the way it is in the US, though, it's hard to argue the country couldn't use some good representation for its lowest paid workers.

The ironic thing is that if the early industrialists had treated their workers like people and not tools, there'd never have been a need for unions. So it's actually kind of a problem of their own design.

I don't know if that's the best way to be expressing it, but I'd probably be annoyed, too, if my hours were being cut back and workmates retrenched, and then someone/anyone starts to volunteer to do my work for free, making it less likely that my employer will want to keep paying me to do a job someone is doing for free.

Remember people! Free = communist!

So why are the union guys upset then.

/pulls blast doors shut with a resounding clang and sits in a corner giggling insanely.

Umm, Nich.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

If council is cutting back it's workforce then there should be more than enough work to do for the guys left behind. In fact there would be more work than they could handle piling up faster and faster.

It is also usual for councils in trouble not to provide funds for the materials that the workers left need to complete the work that they have.

Also if they were so concerned why had they not gotten in and done the job before the kid did it. I also doubt that he managed it all in an hour or two one afternoon behind their backs. Or maybe he fitted it in during one of their extended smoko breaks?