Count

L4D2 Purchase

Ok folks, how did you all buy L4D2? I assume most of you didn't go through steam and get the watered down version that was made available, what are my options other then performing credit fraud with steam us/uk or making a friend quickly enough that i can trust them to gift me and 3 others a copy?

I heard mixed things about g2play.net and thanks to the hype behind this and MW2, i'm convinced customs would seize any physical copy i import just like they did with manhunt...

There is a little hack via the web store for Steam but you need a credit card to make the purchase. There is no need to create a new account or anything to do with gifting. Its how I purchased L4D2 for a number of at0mic members.

There is a little hack via the web store for Steam but you need a credit card to make the purchase. There is no need to create a new account or anything to do with gifting. Its how I purchased L4D2 for a number of at0mic members.

What exactly is this "hack"? Is it going to store.steampowered.com/appid550?cc=uk and buying it from there while stating your credit card location is in the UK?

I just bought the AU version as I wasn't aware of the trick where you could get the US version.

So I just play the AU ver with the appid modification.

I just bought the AU version as I wasn't aware of the trick where you could get the US version.

So I just play the AU ver with the appid modification.

problem with that are achivements are disabled and you can only play wiht other people using the trick.

1. Login with your existing Steam account via the website store.steampowered.com

2. Go to http://store.steampowered.com/app/550/?cc=US for L4D2 (should be able to do this with other games as well)

3. Add to cart L4D2 - ensure the link you click has the following URL - Standalone: java script:addToCart( 2481);; Four Pack: java script:addToCart( 2483);

3. Purchase via credit card - it will state that your location is incorrect.

4. Change your country, state and zip to something local in the US.

EG: United States, CA, 90001. The Country field is the important field here.

5. Make purchase

Don't do this via the Steam App as it won't work and you will end up getting the AU version. You must do this via the website.

Edited by neX

1. Login with your existing Steam account via the web and head to http://store.steampowered.com/app/550/?cc=US

2. Add to cart L4D2 - ensure the link you click has the following URL - java script:addToCart( 2481);

4. Change your country, state and zip to something local in the US - United States, CA, 90001

5. Make purchase

Don't do this via the Steam App as it won't work and you will end up getting the AU version. You must do this via the website.

Yea, that's the one i've seen before, i listed that as the "credit card fraud" method in the opening post. But my question is, in steam, is that address details you put down for your credit card or supposed to just be your location at the time of purchase?

BTW, i just checked on that site, 2481 is the single copy of L4D2, so is 2483 the legitimate 4 pack or is that a bad code for that one? i mean they're both on the same page and the single pack does say 2481...

Edited by Count

1. Login with your existing Steam account via the web and head to http://store.steampowered.com/app/550/?cc=US

2. Add to cart L4D2 - ensure the link you click has the following URL - java script:addToCart( 2481);

4. Change your country, state and zip to something local in the US - United States, CA, 90001

5. Make purchase

Yea, that's the one i've seen before, i listed that as the "credit card fraud" method in the opening post. But my question is, in steam, is that address details you put down for your credit card or supposed to just be your location at the time of purchase?

It depends on what the fraud scrubbing software is checking. Some checks your true IP vs the address you've giving, or check your card number (where it's issued) against the address, or if the address is legitimate.

I guess Steam doesn't really care all that much. lol

But my question is, in steam, is that address details you put down for your credit card or supposed to just be your location at the time of purchase?

Steam just validates location to allow the purchase for the regionalised (US/UK) copy. Credit cards just check the street address for authorisation. Thus they are two separate checks.

BTW, i just checked on that site, 2481 is the single copy of L4D2, so is 2483 the legitimate 4 pack or is that a bad code for that one? i mean they're both on the same page and the single pack does say 2481...

You can check this by matching the ID codes on the AU and US site

http://store.steampowered.com/app/550/?cc=AU

L4D2 Standalone ID: 2489

L4D2 Four Pack ID: 2490

http://store.steampowered.com/app/550/?cc=US

L4D2 Standalone ID: 2481

L4D2 Four Pack ID: 2483

I should add that the same method can be used to purchase items at a cheaper price (CoD4:MW2). See my earlier rant: Steam and Region Pricing

thanks nex, i'll be trying it tonight with my mastercard. Hopefully it'll be all good and i'll be knee deep in the death in an Ultra-violence nightmare bloodbath; if not it'll be hurting me plenty not to play this game in all it's glory.

PS: How're all these doom puns doin?

No worries - you 'should' not have a problem. Steam/Valve just wants the cash and really don't care where you purchase the game from as long you purchase it.

No worries - you 'should' not have a problem. Steam/Valve just wants the cash and really don't care where you purchase the game from as long you purchase it.

One final question for ya tho, do i check or uncheck "i live in the country stated above"

Leave it as is - from memory I did not have to change that and left it as ticked.

The check is just on the Country location.

Had to register when I saw this topic :)

I'm a little worried about the legality of this...is there anywhere that can confirm that only street address is used by Visa?

Can't vouch for Visa but MC went through fine.

Numerous people in AU have purchased the US version via this method so I don't think you will have an issue unless they all used MC - which is unthinkable.

black dracula, ask your bank or credit card provider.

Specifically ask them, "What is the exact billing address for my card?" and see what they say, i just put in my street number, name and suburb name then filled in seperate fields for the location and whatnot. The billign address was only ever my home one so it wasn't a lie at all.

nex: My brother found an issue when he tried to buy it, he got as far as reviewing and the product id changed to 2490, although he claims he was browsing other region codes at the time, it's possible there's a script that turns a product in the card from US to AU version when AU country code is selected. Obviously it wouldnt change back because the AU game is permitted in other countries.

Did you see that at all when you purchased?

Oh, and one more thing, did you need to change your steam location to US or did you leave it as Australia when you bought it?

Edited by Count

nex: My brother found an issue when he tried to buy it, he got as far as reviewing and the product id changed to 2490, although he claims he was browsing other region codes at the time, it's possible there's a script that turns a product in the card from US to AU version when AU country code is selected. Obviously it wouldnt change back because the AU game is permitted in other countries.

Did you see that at all when you purchased?

Interesting to say the least.

When I purchased the four pack, there was no discrepancy in the AppID codes. I did not browse other country codes at the time so that may cause a conflict in website cookies setting the country code. The review should show L4D2.

After my purchase I found that within the Steam App itself the Country, State, Zip fields had all updated to the US entries when I went to purchase some other games.

Within my account L4D2 comes up as follows: Left 4 Dead 2 - Four Pack (preorder). Whereas my initial AU purchase showed Left 4 Dead 2 - Four Pack (AU preorder).

I just tested what it should look like if I were to gift to someone with the US details - I can't see where the ID may have changed:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5294/usl4d2order.gif

If I try and do the same using the ?cc=AU code it gives a warning due to the country code not matching the Country for the billing address:

Your billing address doesn’t look like it matches up with your current country. Please contact support for assistance or use a payment method registered to your current address.

Further to this it appears that State and Zip may not be entirely necessary as I just changed to Australia for the country and left State and Zip as CA and 90001 and I am able to proceed with purchase of the AU version.

Oh, and one more thing, did you need to change your steam location to US or did you leave it as Australia when you bought it?

It must be US in the country field.

Interesting to say the least.

When I purchased the four pack, there was no discrepancy in the AppID codes. I did not browse other country codes at the time so that may cause a conflict in website cookies setting the country code. The review should show L4D2.

That may simply be a glitch on his part then, he played around and got the settings changed somehow.

After my purchase I found that within the Steam App itself the Country, State, Zip fields had all updated to the US entries when I went to purchase some other games.

That's to be expected, steam's site stores those as cookie values on the system, they'll clear next time you purchase or if you update your steam client back to a new region.

Within my account L4D2 comes up as follows: Left 4 Dead 2 - Four Pack (preorder). Whereas my initial AU purchase showed Left 4 Dead 2 - Four Pack (AU preorder).

That was in the "review pane" before purchase? Didnt say anything except l4d2-4pack?

I just tested what it should look like if I were to gift to someone with the US details - I can't see where the ID may have changed:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5294/usl4d2order.gif

Gifting isnt a problem, steam support said gifted games are uncensored.

If I try and do the same using the ?cc=AU code it gives a warning due to the country code not matching the Country for the billing address:

Your billing address doesn’t look like it matches up with your current country. Please contact support for assistance or use a payment method registered to your current address.

I got that when i tried to buy through steam itself, i think it's cause the region (cc=AU) doesnt match the steam region set.

Further to this it appears that State and Zip may not be entirely necessary as I just changed to Australia for the country and left State and Zip as CA and 90001 and I am able to proceed with purchase of the AU version.

Interesting, I did read that people kept their own states and postcodes and only changed the country name itself and it worked.

It must be US in the country field.

So you leave it as US in your steam client, but when you've made the sale, can you switch it back to AU in your steam client or does it forever have to stay in US for your steam location?

Edited by Count

Important note: The purchase must be made via the website not the Steam client as the client will have its region set to AU natively.

Edited by neX

I imagine it would be as it is the exact same principal. I have been considering purchasing MW2 this way as it is US$30 cheaper (see my previous rant Steam and Region Pricing)but I have too many games on my plate at present.

Hahaha - no worries mate I know you weren't taking cred for it - my Steam ID is in my sig.