• Uncharted 2 Among Thieves
    • Dragon Age Origins
    • New Super Mario Bros
    • Forza 3
    • Fifa 10
    • GTA: Chinatown Wars
    • Others

Hi,

Probably it's a bit early since November isn't over yet, but as 2009's December is really not that exciting for new game releases, so I just wondering what's everyone's opinion on GOTY of 2009? All major platforms included. I have narrowed down some of the candidates for you.

Update: Poll is available now.

Edited by jiayijames

my vote goes to STALKER: Clear Sky

nothing else of value has been released this year besides borderlands imo

Batman Arkham Asylum

Street Fighter 4

Tough choice, but in the end....

Batman Arkham Asylum. Game Of The Fucking Year.

Empire: Total War - The amount of sheer depth you can extract from the game is legendary where the creators go from strength to strength in the series. A game I am proud to have a niche title because if it did become more popular than god knows what would happen to it. The shining example of what the PC is capable of (if only they focused on some more patches instead of paid expansions).

Although if you are including all platforms then I shall sit back and wait for Modern Warfare 2 to win.

Edited by Rion

Empire: Total War - The amount of sheer depth you can extract from the game is legendary where the creators go from strength to strength in the series. A game I am proud to have a niche title because if it did become more popular than god knows what would happen to it. The shining example of what the PC is capable of (if only they focused on some more patches instead of paid expansions).

Although if you are including all platforms then I shall sit back and wait for Modern Warfare 2 to win.

I agree its in a league of its own, sega deserves GOTY for E:TW

second would have to be world of goo :P

Dragon Age: Origins, followed shortly by Uncharted 2 I reckon. Unless Assassin's Creed 2 is beyond awesome or somebody fixes MW2 multiplayer by the end of the year on an official level, it's pretty much locked in from my POV.

Street Fighter 4 feels like it should be the winner for me even though I don't play it much.

MW2 is my pick for possibly taking the win based on hype/sales.

my vote goes to STALKER: Clear Sky

But... Clear Sky wasn't released this year...

My top 3 would be (in no specific order, since I can't choose just one);

Uncharted 2

Modern Warfare 2

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

+1 with Manta, and Modern Warfare 2 is hacked to death, it'll be hard to just patch it, they'll need to plug some security holes in their game or otherwise people are going to convert Modern Warfare 2 into the Matrix...

Yet to see Assasin Creed 2, though I dont think its coming out on PC. So I wont be playing it.

Gee, this is tough.

I've played more of Empire than any other game this year (apart from Lord of the Rings Online), so that's a pretty good measure right there.

But few games have given me the visceral thrill of Arkham Asylum, either.

Come on Hawkeye, you know Empire deserves the win. You know strategy games deserve the win for once!

I'm sorry, but any GOTY competition that includes a Total War game should automatically default the award to TW. :-)

But failing that, I would say MW2? Hard to say though since I never played the others lol

How would Assassin's Creed 2 count? It's not even out yet?

Assassin's Creed II won't be out on PC till January/February, just like the last one.

I don't think MW2 deserves GOTY, just because to me the singleplayer tried too hard to be too complex, and it feels too recycled, relying on the same format of gameplay, and quite often the same models, set pieces or audio as the previous game. It also lacks the amazement of playing CoD4 for the first time, and the multiplayer on PC is clearly borked. Saying it deserves GOTY is like GTA4 getting a 10/10 on Gamespot. It was "good", but nowhere near as great as it's predecessors like Vice City, and again, the PC version was borked.

And aside from that, I haven't played any of those games. I am looking at getting Batman, because I've only heard good things about it. So maybe that should just get my vote? Uncharted 2 seems quite popular too, but it's a console exclusive, and I don't own one. I noticed Brutal Legends didn't get a mention?

Edited by Mademan

Empire

Pros: Probably has the most hours worth in it. Is a game for the thinker. A game you can always come back to after a long spell and still enjoy it.

Cons: We have seen allot of it before in the previous versions.

Dragon Age

Pros: Probably the best story told through a game this year, good mix of action or strategy you can be a pause strategist or a click and kill on an easier difficulty setting. Great service to any hardcore RPG fan. DLC promised for 2 years.. With 3-6 hours worth available at launch.

Cons: The nature of the story might make the game inaccessible for people not into high fantasy or drawn out for people looking for a faster paced game.

Borderlands

Pros: Fast fun and unique, co-op helps re-playability and adds to fun factor. DLC support looks promising.

Cons: A mediocre shooter and a mediocre RPG at best although the combination works well.

Those would be my 3 picks but out of them I would personally choose DA:O.

As for uncharted while great find it hard to give it GOTY or even nominate it because while it had great visuals./story/voice acting and sequences it was short with no reason to ever play through it again IMO represents poor value the multi-player was good for only a couple hours... I guess what I'm trying to say is, when you can get all you can from game if you hire it for 1 or 2 nights it is not a contender for GOTY..

As for the other games on the list I didn't really play them. Might give L4D2 a go but IDK.

Just my opinion but I hope it was constructive.

Edited by Bundywow

Call of Doody will probably win, but it really shouldn't. This year has produced some way more original titles.

Apart from the story which lets face it will make up the least %age of play time in CoD:MW2 i don't see what isnt a clone of before really. In that sense i agree that originality should be a factor in GOTY's.