Sign in to follow this  
The End

Just got a Nokia N96...

After almost buying a N95 countless times, and drooling over the iPhone's awesome featureset (and bemoaning it's crappiness as a phone), hearing that a brand new uber-phone was on the horizon from Nokia was frustrating as hell. Well, I was in a phone store today and happened to notice that they had N96 promo stuff everywhere. Seeing as every other store I'd spoken to had no clue about when where and how the N96 was going to materialise, I wasn't particularly hopeful when I asked the clerk if they had any pricing info yet.

Another fella there said that they got 5 in that morning.

Instant

Wood.

Needless to say, I walked out of there ten minutes later with a new phone.

I'll post my impressions once I've learned more than 'ooh shiny'

:)

Is it worth paying $250 more than an iPhone?

Has reducing the processor speed of the one taken from the N95 affected performance and does it prolong the life of the smaller battery?

Has the smaller lens affected picture quality?

Come across any software bugs which will need ironing out in future releases?

Is it worth paying $250 more than an iPhone?

Has reducing the processor speed of the one taken from the N95 affected performance and does it prolong the life of the smaller battery?

Has the smaller lens affected picture quality?

Come across any software bugs which will need ironing out in future releases?

You saw the part where I wrote that I had 'almost bought an N95'?

If you want comparisons and tech specs, go to cnet. Or google it. I'm not a tech website and I've upgraded from a Sony Ericsson w900i. A great phone in its day, but nothing at all like the N95.

My initial impressions so far:

General speed is snappy. If they downgraded the processor speed, it hasn't hurt day to day operations none, although Brothers in Arms 3D did seem choppy... but I haven't played it on N95, so I can't really compare.

Image quality from the camera is very nice indeed, although I haven't gone pixel hunting on my PC yet. Shrinking the lens wouldn't affect image quality unless the sensor was also reduced in size. Being a Zeiss branded lens, I'd expect nothing less than decent quality, particularly given the results the N95 produced.

I haven't noticed any glaring bugs yet, but I've only had the phone a short time.

Worth the extra money over the iPhone? For me, absolutely. The iPhone is a lovely media player and its interface is terrific, but at the end of the day, it's a middling quality phone and a big sumbitch to boot. To me, good performance as a phone is priority and so far, I've been nothing less than impressed with the N96's ease of use, speed and quality. The one area that is a bit concerning is the way it chews through battery life, but that's a small price to pay. As long as I can go a day or two between charges, I don't really care.

I just want to know what to look out for before I start selling them.

Battery life will improve as you 'burn it in' over 4 or 5 cycles.

The choppiness in BIA is probably due to 3D acceleration being disabled.

Have you tried the GPS yet?

I'm wondering if it still suffers from the lagginess of the N95.

While I am not at all taking away from the N96, it looks like a really nice phone I do wonder about comments regarding the iPhone not being a substandard phone. Battery issues aside, I don't seem to have a problem with it as a phone. It performs as well if not better than previous phones I have had.

I am genuinely interested though in your experiences with the N96.

Is the camera button really as bad as they say in reviews?

Of course the lack of an 8 Megapixel camera, xenon flash, DIVX & XVID support and widescreen video camera support only emphasizes it's crappiness as a multimedia device.

Oh well at least you can watch TV on it, how is the TV tuner btw?

;p~~~

Actually the TV 'tuner' requires carrier support, as it actually comes to the phone through data - and IIRC none of our carriers support DVB-H yet.

Actually the TV 'tuner' requires carrier support, as it actually comes to the phone through data - and IIRC none of our carriers support DVB-H yet.

People are willing to pay almost $1200 for this piece of junk, it looks like Nokia really are taking advantage of their fanboi's with this one.

Nokia's multimedia capabilities, especially the camera part, are pretty darn good these days from low end to high end.

Looking forward to your snaps.

@hill60606

So you've gone from 'wanting to learn' to throwing around the word fanboy and calling it junk in the space of a day?

As for 8 megapixels... I'd rather a quality lens and a sensor with decently spaced sites than a 8mp overcrowded sensor with grain problems. You might want to pick your tech battles with a little more care. You might have some knowledge about phones, but cameras are a different story. Same goes for tiny flashes. Xenon or no, small flash = small throw.

Nice troll work there boy. Go fish elsewhere, no bites today.

@The Tick

Well, substandard is a relative term these days. It's nearly impossible to find a 'bad' phone these days (hell, even LG produce acceptable phones nowadays, which is terrifying) but for the price tag, the iPhone hasn't really measured up on the phone side of the equation (according to reviews, at any rate.) Even so, it was a close run thing.

New impressions:

Took the phone to the gym today. Sound quality is good with decent clarity and a thick bottom end.

LG Renoir, now that's a multimedia phone that measures up.

The trolling began at the first use of the term "crappy".

A subjective term based on comparitive opinions of the iPhone, the term is equally valid when comparisons are drawn between Nokia's flagship multimedia device and what is being released by it's competitors.

There's more to a quality phone than the checklist of features on the side of the box.

There's a good reason why the top mobile brands are Nokia, Sony Ericsson and Samsung. LG, whilst improving considerably, still haven't completely eradicated the reliability gremlins they're notorious for, nor have they really got a handle on fit and finish.

The feature set is impressive for the Renoir, but alot of it is superflous trimming or gimmickry. As for the camera - Schneider-Kreuznach make beautiful standalone lenses, but in consumer cameras, they're partnered with Kodak - a company mainly noted for the cheapness of their cameras, and not their class beating image quality. Divx/Xvid support would be nice, but I've got a high spec pc that can convert my video files for me.

Frankly, the fact that you think 'crappy' as a descriptor would apply to any flagship model mobile on the market today, regardless of brand, just reveals that you have unreasonable expectations or a fanboyish attitude towards mobile phones.

And you're selling the things? Holy cow. Here's a tip from an experienced former tech salesperson - don't get blinkered by your brand biases. It makes you bad at your job.

...the iPhone's awesome featureset (and bemoaning it's crappiness as a phone)...

You bemoan the crappiness of the iPhone whereas I find it very good as a phone.

I bemoan the fact that the N96 seems a backward step from the N95 8GB and that it costs more, they didn't even increase the screen resolution 320 x 240 has been around for around 5 years.

As a flagship it was superseded before release.

Nokia might do a better job if they didn't have a ready market of buyers waiting to snap up anything they release.

btw the top manufacturers are 1 Nokia, 2 Samsung, 3 Motorola, 4 SonyEricsson, 5 LG, 6 Apple.

...the iPhone's awesome featureset (and bemoaning it's crappiness as a phone)...

You bemoan the crappiness of the iPhone whereas I find it very good as a phone.

Ah, so it's because your precious got slighted. There there.

In comparison to its spectacular user interface and featureset, its phone capabilities are disappointing. It's perfectly capable, but for something so spectacularly designed it should be across the board great, not just 'good enough'.

I'm sure the iPhone 2 will be a standout.

Wow, so Moto is third, eh? Whoda thunk that trotting out the same tacky design again and again would be so effective? Oh well, I guess teenage girls are a big market.

EDIT: Typo - third not fourth

Motorola are now 3rd, they were 2nd until Samsung took over, only last year.

Next time you watch an American TV show, pay attention to the phones they are using.

So let me get this straight because the iPhone doesn't have the full feature set of the N95/6 that's crappiness, yet because the N95/6 doesn't have the full feature set of the latest phones it's because they are overladen with unrequired features.

hmmm... I see.

Wow, so Moto is fourth, eh? Whoda thunk that trotting out the same tacky design again and again would be so effective? Oh well, I guess teenage girls are a big market.

Good call. I wonder every time I see a new Moto Razr v-something who the hell still buys them and why?

I loved my E398 back in it's day and I was one of the suckers who got a v3x briefly but I am pretty sure I'll never buy Moto again.

So let me get this straight because the iPhone doesn't have the full feature set of the N95/6 that's crappiness, yet because the N95/6 doesn't have the full feature set of the latest phones it's because they are overladen with unrequired features.

Nothing to do with feature sets, it's all to do with how the iPhone works as a phone. Non-removable battery, easily scratched, passable reception and voice quality, awkward size and shape. The OS and media lockdown and lack of flash card slot are also baffling.

Like I said, awesome gadget, mediocre phone.

Non-removable battery

I've never bought a replacement battery for any other phone

easily scratched

As much as any plastic phone, the screen is hard to scratch - being glass

passable reception and voice quality

I've not had any reception problems, the real issue are the moron users who think 3 bars of reception on the iphone means the same as 3 bars on a nokia

awkward size and shape

Ever held one? I don't know where you get awkward size and shape...

The OS and media lockdown and lack of flash card slot are also baffling.

The OS may be locked down, there's a way around that - I've never felt the need to add some more memory to my 16GB phone though.

Christ almighty. I'm glad you all love your iPhones. It was not the phone for me. The only reason I discussed the thing beyond my OP was that someone asked for a comparison. This thread was never meant to be a 'my phone is better than your phone' pissing contest. Can we move on now?

I'm hesitant to even post any more impressions now, just because it's going to invite more of this shit.

In the Green Room or the Gaming forums, sure. It's a fun way to pass the time.

In the Tech threads? Nope.

In the Green Room or the Gaming forums, sure. It's a fun way to pass the time.

In the Tech threads? Nope.

Perhaps if you never mentioned the iPhone in the first place, things might have gone differently.

Did you ever think of that?