Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
The End

Just got a Nokia N96...

I'm glad you found a phone that suited your needs, rather than just needlessly following the crowd, and ending up going WAA WHY CAN'T IT DO THIS LIKE I WANT IT TO WAAAA.

That said, the iPhone suits me for what I need.

But I'm not going to tell other people they're wrong.

Have you had a chance to test out the GPS yet? I'd be interested to hear if they've fixed some of the problems they had with the N95 (ridiculous fix times, difficulty getting a fix in urban environments and having to pay to get voice guided navigation etc.). Also, what's the little kick stand construction like? Does it seem like something that's easily worn out/damaged? Lastly, how responsive is the camera? My N95 took a good 3-5 seconds to start up, which meant it was difficult to capture candid moments.

Perhaps if you never mentioned the iPhone in the first place, things might have gone differently.

Did you ever think of that?

I only mentioned it because it was one of the phones I'd considered, and to deal with the inevitable 'why didn't you get an iphone?' questions.

Sorry if you got butthurt because I didn't mention it whilst simultaneously vomiting rainbows on it.

@ The Psychonaut:

The GPS is excellent. Fix times are near instant. It's still a pay service for voice nav, but standard gps and route mapping is free.

Camera startup is quickish, but I'd have to see it side by side with the N95 to give a fair call.

Overall though, I'm impressed by the snappyness of the UI. I did upgrade from a S-E w900i, which is has a pretty slow UI, though.

Perhaps if you never mentioned the iPhone in the first place, things might have gone differently.

I only mentioned it because it was one of the phones I'd considered, and to deal with the inevitable 'why didn't you get an iphone?' questions.

Sorry if you got butthurt because I didn't mention it whilst simultaneously vomiting rainbows on it.

@ The Psychonaut:

The GPS is excellent. Fix times are near instant. It's still a pay service for voice nav, but standard gps and route mapping is free.

Camera startup is quickish, but I'd have to see it side by side with the N95 to give a fair call.

Overall though, I'm impressed by the snappyness of the UI. I did upgrade from a S-E w900i, which is has a pretty slow UI, though.

You have now found out that the iphone fanboy is more precious than a console fanboy... welcome to the world of technology. It's not what you do or who you are that matters, its what you own that defines what people think of you.

And because you didn't like what someone else owns... I dub thee: Cunt. :P

@ The Psychonaut:

You have now found out that the iphone fanboy is more precious than a console fanboy... welcome to the world of technology. It's not what you do or who you are that matters, its what you own that defines what people think of you.

And because you didn't like what someone else owns... I dub thee: Cunt. :P

Heaven forbid that anyone would dare to criticize the greatness of Nokia, the representatives of the pinnacle of human achievement and the creators of perfection with everything they have ever made, from gumboots to mobile phones.

Now do you think you can deal with the points I raised beforehand.

One other thing, the keypad seems rather poorly implemented is it difficult to use the bottom row of keys?

@hill60606

My previous phones (and length of usage)

Ericsson T-28s 3 years

Samsung T100 1 year

Samsung E700 2 years

Sony Ericsson W900i 2 years

And now a Nokia N96, since Saturday.

Yeah, I'm a Nokia fanboy through and through. No question about it.... /rolleyes

As for your questions, you can go ahead and blow them out your arse. Run along, troll boy. Time for you to learn some research skills.

@hill60606

My previous phones (and length of usage)

Ericsson T-28s 3 years

Samsung T100 1 year

Samsung E700 2 years

Sony Ericsson W900i 2 years

And now a Nokia N96, since Saturday.

Yeah, I'm a Nokia fanboy through and through. No question about it.... /rolleyes

As for your questions, you can go ahead and blow them out your arse. Run along, troll boy. Time for you to learn some research skills.

My Phones

Motorola Digitac

Motorola 628

Ericsson GH688

Ericsson 788

Nokia 6110

Nokia 8210

SonyEricsson T300

Sharp GX10

Sharp GX10i

Sagem MyV55

Sharp GX25 concurrent with Motorola V70

Motorola V3XX

Apple iPhone 3G

Over a period of 15 years

What does it mean?

Beats me.

Research?

I thought you were reviewing a phone before you sidetracked yourself, this is research.

I am more questioning of Nokia's motives in designing it the way they did rather than yours, which is why I am interested in how it works.

I would also like to draw a bit of a comparison with Microsoft and the Xbox 360 as was outlined in the recent Atomic article.

As a user is there any evidence the N96 may have been rushed to market before Nokia's competition released their next generation of phones, which have superior features?

The phone was announced in February, 8 months is an abnormally long lead time.

Holy cow he's obnoxious. Get the hint - not answering your questions.

Time to try the new ignore list feature.

I've only had a quick look at the N96, but so far, I'd go so far as to say it's a nicely enhanced N95-2

The kickstand is a nice feature, but I'm a little concerned at it's strength.. and it's retention.. use it a bit and after a while I can see it flapping about loose like a hooker's meat curtains.

The camera seems decent enough. If it's still 5 MP, I wonder if it's the same sensor used in the N95/N82.

The adaptive backlighting on the media keys is a very nice touch. Only illuminates the keys when they can be used, and allows for multiple labels on the keys when slid to reveal the music/zoom/game keys.

Ultimately, it's not a revolution, it's an evolution - and I expect most people can live with that, aside from the anti-fanbois.

Enjoy your purchase TE.

Im holding off at the moment on this. I want to try the Innov8 and compare the N96 to this. Both interest me but the innov8 (i8510) does look to have more features on paper. Will wait and see.

The End Im glad you think its a good phone and if I have any questions about it I will be coming to you :)

Yeah, I was looking at either this or the 5800 when it comes out early next year. I'll keep an eye on this thread and see how you go with it.

Will post more impressions later tonight. Just nipping in between the ad breaks on Top Gear :)

Ultimately, it's not a revolution, it's an evolution - and I expect most people can live with that, aside from the anti-fanbois.

Precisely one of the things that made me confident when signing on for the thing.

The N95 was pretty much exactly what I wanted in a phone. The N96 is a refined, improved and evolved version of that.

Any chance of turning off 'Assisted GPS' so it doesnt use data?

with that on, N95 had god fix times, it used nokias central computer to help calculate.

However, turn of assisted GPS and it stumbled.

Turn that off and report back if its not too much to ask man.

Appreciated :D

with that on, N95 had god fix times, it used nokias central computer to help calculate.

I'll try it next time I'm out and about. It worked fine sitting here at home :S

Here's a photo I took: (only proper one so far, all the others have been typical indoors, overblown or grainy happysnaps taken with no consideration for quality of results)

Posted Image

Highlights are slightly blown, but I was close to the target.

More to come another time.

I'll try it next time I'm out and about. It worked fine sitting here at home :S

Here's a photo I took: (only proper one so far, all the others have been typical indoors, overblown or grainy happysnaps taken with no consideration for quality of results)

Posted Image

Highlights are slightly blown, but I was close to the target.

More to come another time.

AWWW he's sleepy :D

Hey.. Iphone bollocks aside..

Nice phone! Glad you're liking it. I've been considering getting an n96 after also contemplating an n95. the amount of stuff you get with it for the geek factor plus the fact it actually does an awesome job as a phone is the biggest reason why I've wanted it for so long - but so long eventually becomes "okay, I guess i can live without it for now" notion :p

I do like the os that Nokia uses. If anything, I could possibly be happy with a stock standard nokia phone which the 8800 is just with the price tag - biggest problem is battery life.

So battery life is decent enough for you? It's the biggest killer for me in any phone actually.

I'm currently waiting to replace the 8800 with either the Innov8, C905 or the N95. In the end, i've come to the conclusion that I'm quite happy with tactile buttons esp ones that feel comfortable in hand. one hand usage for the win :)

having said that, I did consider the LG touch phones esp the 8mp one coming out soon because of its gimmicky 120fps video options and divx stuff but then again I have an mp3 player for watching and listening to stuff. I have a DSLR and I know MP aren't everything esp in a camera phone but at the same time I've grown accustomed to wanting a specific phone with certain features that excel in certain areas such as taking photos and well its easier to take a phone with you then a DSLR.. Web browsing isn't one i care to much about but the xperia did tempt me with its qwerty keyboard buts its not really a camera phone. My speed in typing text messages would probably improve :p

what i look for

- voice quality and reception(tho i think the latter comes down to the network yer om, here's hoping 3 are any good as I'll be moving to them most probably)

- battery life

- camera

that will decide my next phone and currently the C905 is looking like my phone of choice.

looking forward to more photos :)

Voice quality and reception are strong, as you'd expect from Nokia. They've got this part well and truly down in almost all their phones these days.

Battery life is not bad, but certainly not great either. I've been thrashing the hell out of it over the long weekend (using games, wifi, music, gps, camera... even taking the odd phone call.) and it's been down to 2 or 1 bar of battery by bedtime. If you're going to use it to its fullest, expect to charge every night, or start carrying extra batteries.

More photos coming :)

With Maps 2.0 you can turn that off. Version 1 you could not. Its also free from http://www.nokia.com.au/A41161414

I've had a N95 8GB for about a month and it is a great phone. I have a GBA, MAME, SNES emulators on it, GPS/ DivX player / Lightsabre / NGage / Mp3 / Video Camera / View Word and PDF etc. it really does it all for me.. and it runs Quake 2!!

I looked into the N96 but decided to get the N95 8GB for the following reasons.

1. N96 too expensive v 2. N95 8GB available from 3 for $0 on a $49 cap plan. This offer is over but Vodafone are doing it but their data plans are a joke.

2. TV function in N96 not supported here.

3. N95 8Gb better battery.

Apparently the 1,2,3 buttons are obscured a bit on the N96 by the top slider when moved up.. is this correct? Can you press them without your thumb rubbing the top of the slider?

Well that's about it.. overall I think the N96 is a better phone from the reviews I have read but just not better enough.. The next version should be a leap from the N95/96 design.

N96 +'s:

• That camera stand thing - I could do with that but I have doubts to it's reliability.
  • Expandable memory - something I could do with I've already maxed out my 8gb with divx files! Support to 24Gb would be great.
  • I like the smooth rounded edge design

But really I think this is a repackaged N95 8GB..

BTW add me on NGage - dimebag666

Cheers,

The Monarch

I've had a N95 8GB for about a month and it is a great phone. I have a GBA, MAME, SNES emulators on it, GPS/ DivX player / Lightsabre / NGage / Mp3 / Video Camera / View Word and PDF etc. it really does it all for me.. and it runs Quake 2!!

OOh, I'm gonna have to do all that :)

I looked into the N96 but decided to get the N95 8GB for the following reasons.

1. N96 too expensive v 2. N95 8GB available from 3 for $0 on a $49 cap plan. This offer is over but Vodafone are doing it but their data plans are a joke.

2. TV function in N96 not supported here.

3. N95 8Gb better battery.

Apparently the 1,2,3 buttons are obscured a bit on the N96 by the top slider when moved up.. is this correct? Can you press them without your thumb rubbing the top of the slider?

Well that's about it.. overall I think the N96 is a better phone from the reviews I have read but just not better enough.. The next version should be a leap from the N95/96 design.

N96 +'s:

• That camera stand thing - I could do with that but I have doubts to it's reliability.
  • Expandable memory - something I could do with I've already maxed out my 8gb with divx files! Support to 24Gb would be great.
  • I like the smooth rounded edge design

But really I think this is a repackaged N95 8GB..

BTW add me on NGage - dimebag666

Cheers,

The Monarch

1. The N96 is only a little dearer on a plan.

2. Not yet. Not terribly important anyway :P

3. True. The battery is the one major bugbear I have so far.

Buttons: I haven't found them to be tricky to get at. I suspect people who whinge about that might have big fat meat mitts from too much WoW.

It IS a N95 8GB on steroids. That's the whole point. If it aint broke, don't fix it. :)

DAMN - got linkage for the emulators?? Gots me an N95 8GB that needs some love...

The GPS is the biggest disappointment in that machine ... so dang slow to find where it is, even when it has 5 satellites. The music player leaves something to be desired. But otherwise, solid phone. $79 cap on Voda with $1 / 5 mins data.

@The Tick

Well, substandard is a relative term these days. It's nearly impossible to find a 'bad' phone these days (hell, even LG produce acceptable phones nowadays, which is terrifying) but for the price tag, the iPhone hasn't really measured up on the phone side of the equation (according to reviews, at any rate.) Even so, it was a close run thing.

At the risk of reigniting the whole thing I do feel I have to respond that in all honesty, a throw away line of "substandard phone" which is really not substantiated apart from people whinging online is somewhat inflamatory. No one was going to ask you why you didn't go an iPhone so there was really no need to put it out there.

Anyway - back to your experiences.

That picture does look good - if you could put up some more that would be great. One request, next time your in a store try to sneak some shots of some merchandise (in particular bar codes). Our reps here constantly ask for phones with reasonable cameras. I wouldn't mind knowing if the camera operates in the usual sluggish way camera phones do or if the flash blows it out.

Interesting re:battery life too.

At the risk of reigniting the whole thing I do feel I have to respond that in all honesty, a throw away line of "substandard phone" which is really not substantiated apart from people whinging online is somewhat inflamatory. No one was going to ask you why you didn't go an iPhone so there was really no need to put it out there.

Interesting re:battery life too.

A customer came into work to buy an iPhone while I wasn't there, he'd dropped back in to see if we had them in stock (we did) and because the girl who served him was scared of selling iPhones, she took the easy route and pushed him into taking an N95.

Now he's pissed and wants to exchange it for an iPhone, why?

The Nokia does not charge from a USB port, so when he's on the road he has to carry a Nokia car charger, Nokia AC charger, Laptop car charger, Laptop AC charger and Nokia data cable.

With an iphone he needs Laptop car charger, laptop AC charger, iPhone data cable.

He can charge both using a single socket.

A small thing maybe, but to some, these things are more important than all the other features.

Took a picture of one of my spare HDDs with my N95 8GB. I understand the N96 uses an almost identical camera - check it out here.

Camera took a good 10 seconds from framing to taking shot - first it lit it up bright, then it focussed and took the shot. Couple seconds of processing and what you see is what it got. This is more or less the closest you can get in "close up mode" for its autofocus to get a fix. Placed the drive standing upright facing away from ceiling incandescent light - so some ambient but most of the light there is from the flash.