Sign in to follow this  
The End

Just got a Nokia N96...

Thanks thesorehead - that looks quite clear.

Even though the cameras are essentially the same (and the clarity of that shot looks pretty good), I am still curious as to how much fiddling it takes to get that kind of shot especially from the N96. 10 seconds isn't too bad so long as people are aware that some patience is required, then again I am talking about sales reps here.

Just took another shot (here at work where the lights are a lot more like retail store lights) and when it doesn't need to use the flash to light its target it's a lot faster. As in, with practice it would take less than 10 seconds from unlocking the keypad to taking the shot - including changing settings (they revert to defaults when you turn the camera off) to "close up mode". Picture is just as clear of course, and you can get a bit closer.

At the risk of reigniting the whole thing I do feel I have to respond that in all honesty, a throw away line of "substandard phone" which is really not substantiated apart from people whinging online is somewhat inflamatory. No one was going to ask you why you didn't go an iPhone so there was really no need to put it out there.

Interesting re:battery life too.

A customer came into work to buy an iPhone while I wasn't there, he'd dropped back in to see if we had them in stock (we did) and because the girl who served him was scared of selling iPhones, she took the easy route and pushed him into taking an N95.

Now he's pissed and wants to exchange it for an iPhone, why?

The Nokia does not charge from a USB port, so when he's on the road he has to carry a Nokia car charger, Nokia AC charger, Laptop car charger, Laptop AC charger and Nokia data cable.

With an iphone he needs Laptop car charger, laptop AC charger, iPhone data cable.

He can charge both using a single socket.

A small thing maybe, but to some, these things are more important than all the other features.

You can get small adaptors of ebay that are usb to nokia power pin.. I have one, they work fine. Problem solved.

Ok, for those of you are looking for the emulators...

SNES, GBA etc. have a look at http://www.vampent.com/vsun.htm

http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php

I also recommened the NGage service, it is pretty cool, has a 360 like gamer tag system, online games like Reset Generation. Also check out Creature of the Deep, an excellent rpg-ish fishing game with awesome graphics.

Been selling the N96 for a few weeks now.

Nothing special in terms of an update to the N95, but I do prefer the looks of the N96. Having played around with the INNOV8 I do prefer it for size and features, but price will be the big thing for it.

I don't like the new range of Nokia's to be completely honest [the latest Navigators, the N96] as I just seem them as too... plasticky looking. The keys are nice on the 6220's though :)

New impressions:

Took the phone to the gym today. Sound quality is good with decent clarity and a thick bottom end.

Does it come with earphones, and if they do, how are they?

New impressions:

Took the phone to the gym today. Sound quality is good with decent clarity and a thick bottom end.

There probably the same as the ones I got with my N95, that is they lack bottom end and the mids sound thin to me.

Just like every combined headphones I have, they quickly get swapped for the Sony Bass fontapid headphones that are about $20. They have always sounded the best to me.

The included wired remote thing is handy though.

BTW Get the low down on running Quake here....

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/it..._Smartphone.php

How well will it run without 3D hardware accelleration?

Here's some performance figures:-

Samsung GT-i8510 INNOV8 vs Nokia N96 vs Nokia N85 : Hardware Performance

CPU Platform :

- Samsung GT-i8510 : TI OMAP 2430 450MHz, 128MB RAM

- Nokia N96 : STMicroelectronics Nomadics STn8815 264MHz, 128MB RAM

- Nokia N85 : FreeScale I.MX31 369MHz, 128MB RAM

-Performance Test-

Jbenchmark 1.0.1 Total Score :

- Samsung GT-i8510 : 4997

- Nokia N96 : 2796

- Nokia N85 : 3232

Jbenchmark 2.0.1 Total Score :

- Samsung GT-i8510 : 532

- Nokia N96 : 358

- Nokia N85 : 548

Jbenchmark 3D HQ Score :

- Samsung GT-i8510 : 873

- Nokia N96 : 155

- Nokia N85 : 195

Jbenchmark 3D LQ Score :

- Samsung GT-i8510 : 979

- Nokia N96 : 283

- Nokia N85 : 380

Jbenchmark HD Gaming Score :

- Samsung GT-i8510 : 956 (29.0 fps)

- Nokia N96 : 127 (4.2 fps)

- Nokia N85 : 166 (5.5 fps)

Source Mobileburn.com

Well i'm pretty impressed with how it runs, very smooth, excellent lighting detail in software OpenGL.

On the N95 or N96?

Losing hardware aceleration is one of the differences between the two models + the N95's cpu is faster.

Well i'm pretty impressed with how it runs, very smooth, excellent lighting detail in OpenGL.

On the N95 or N96?

Losing hardware aceleration is one of the differences between the two models + the N95's cpu is faster.

I've just discovered this for myself.. wow that does seem kinda backwards.. does this mean future NGage games that support 3d hardware the N96 has to run in software? That is crazy. What are they thinking.

Here's some performance figures:-

Samsung GT-i8510 INNOV8 vs Nokia N96 vs Nokia N85 : Hardware Performance

CPU Platform :

- Samsung GT-i8510 : TI OMAP 2430 450MHz, 128MB RAM

- Nokia N96 : STMicroelectronics Nomadics STn8815 264MHz, 128MB RAM

- Nokia N85 : FreeScale I.MX31 369MHz, 128MB RAM

-Performance Test-

Jbenchmark 1.0.1 Total Score :

- Samsung GT-i8510 : 4997

- Nokia N96 : 2796

- Nokia N85 : 3232

Jbenchmark 2.0.1 Total Score :

- Samsung GT-i8510 : 532

- Nokia N96 : 358

- Nokia N85 : 548

Jbenchmark 3D HQ Score :

- Samsung GT-i8510 : 873

- Nokia N96 : 155

- Nokia N85 : 195

Jbenchmark 3D LQ Score :

- Samsung GT-i8510 : 979

- Nokia N96 : 283

- Nokia N85 : 380

Jbenchmark HD Gaming Score :

- Samsung GT-i8510 : 956 (29.0 fps)

- Nokia N96 : 127 (4.2 fps)

- Nokia N85 : 166 (5.5 fps)

Source Mobileburn.com

This is why Im holding out for the innov8 :)

I've just discovered this for myself.. wow that does seem kinda backwards.. does this mean future NGage games that support 3d hardware the N96 has to run in software? That is crazy. What are they thinking.

Yeah, well when I brought this issue up in MY FIRST post, it was dismissed and I was accused of being an Apple fanboi...

...meh!

Yeah, well when I brought this issue up in MY FIRST post, it was dismissed and I was accused of being an Apple fanboi...

...meh!

Actually you'll find you were the first one to start throwing the word 'fanboi' around. It was THEN you were dismissed, not so much as a 'fanboi', but because you were a douce.

Actually you'll find you were the first one to start throwing the word 'fanboi' around. It was THEN you were dismissed, not so much as a 'fanboi', but because you were a douce.

Did you mean deuce as in number two, douche as in cunt wash or "Il Duce" as in spelling Nazi?

The "fanboi" comment was in reference to the opening poster describing another phone as "crap" without backing that statement up, then going on to get offended when the specifications of the N96 were brought up and compared to other phones in order to reach the same conclusion, i.e it could be described as "crap".

I suggest you go and look over your post again and you'll find it does not read as a reference to any insult on another phone.

And I most certainly meant cunt wash.

I suggest you go and look over your post again and you'll find it does not read as a reference to any insult on another phone.

And I most certainly meant cunt wash.

Obviously spelling is not your only weak point, you seem to have some trouble with comprehension.

People are willing to pay almost $1200 for this piece of junk, it looks like Nokia really are taking advantage of their fanboi's with this one.

Let me clarify it for you it, Nokia have not improved enough on the N95 or N95 8GB to justify paying such a high price for the N96.

If you have either of the N95's already, stick with it, if you don't them go with the better value the N95 8GB represents.

You may also notice that it is a criticism of Nokia's actions, in releasing it as "the ultimate multimedia device".

So tell me who after reading all the spec's and making comparison's particularly with the Samsung, would be the one's Nokia are seeking to take advantage of?

Might I also remind you of the opening post...

...drooling over the iPhone's awesome featureset (and bemoaning it's crappiness as a phone)...

Ok, ok.. lets just move on shall we.

The lack of a 3D accelerator is an interesting move from Nokia, with its flagship multimedia model lacking 3d acceleration as opposed to it's predecessors. I've

been reading about this on the NGage forums. I'm starting to doubt we will see 3d accelerated ngage games for some time, if ever after this recent twist.

Maybe they don't want to do a Quake 3 and require users to have 3d acceleration and keep as wide a user base as possible over the most devices as possible?

Maybe there could be an option where you turn it on or off.. but then they release their newest model without support for it.

Either way, I was hoping it would be used for upcoming Ngage games but this looks doubtful.

So maybe not so much of a loss for the N96 as far as ngage goes anyway. We'll see.

Sorry for the lack of updates. Been a busy bee, but I'll have some extended impressions when I finally get time to write em up!

(In short, <3 this phone!)

EDIT: As for the 3D acceleration, Nokia have been emphasising video capabilities on the N96 from the word go. I'm pretty sure there's dedicated video hardware in it, in place of a 3d accelerator. I could be wrong.

New impressions:

Yes and fucking horrible. No guts at all, and they're cheap as.

I've trialled it with Sennheiser PX200 earphones and some Sony canal phones - the sound is great through those, although it is thin compared to the w900i I replaced. But the w900i pissed on most dedicated mp3 players, so whaddya do?

I've trialled it with Sennheiser PX200 earphones and some Sony canal phones - the sound is great through those, although it is thin compared to the w900i I replaced. But the w900i pissed on most dedicated mp3 players, so whaddya do?

Buy an iPhone :)

/jk

Do you have any more sample pics?

Buy an iPhone :)

/jk

Do you have any more sample pics?

I've only really got photos of my cats, indoors :S

I'll have time to kill tomorrow, so I'll get some outdoors shots and the barcode shots.