Sign in to follow this  
iamz0r

building new system, wont POST, plez halp

hey guys, been years since i've been around, just putting together a new box, having some issues, need some help/insight.

mobo: asus p5ql/epu

gfx: ati 3870

ram: corsair 2x2gb (dont have model number on me, at friends place)

chip: core 2 duo (again exact model escapes me)

psu: antec 450W

i had the hdd, a friend gave me an nvidia card he said "may or may not work" and the core 2 duo, i purchased the ram, mobo, psu etc. put it together, wouldn't post, one long 3 short beeps. gfx issue. grabbed the ati 3870 off another mate, swapped it out, turned it on, posted, one beep, all good, reached bios. realised i didn't have a keyboard plugged in so turned it off while i hunted one up. found a keyboard, plugged it in, turned my box on again and now i'm getting onee long, three short beeps again. followed about 30sec later by another short beep.

tried re-seating the card, usual power cycle procedures.

this infuriates me. i had picture. now i don't. please help. haven't had a working box in nearly four months and the shakes have well and truly kicked in.

Possibly a buggered keyboard? had the odd dodgy KB prevent the occasional boot. Is it a PS2 or USB KB?

Otherwise double check everything is seated properly in the mobo and that you have the video card power plug connected and the 4 pin ATX plug connected to the mobo (top left of the CPU).

Also make damn sure you actually used the ATX power plug in the ATX power socket and the PCI-Express power plug in the video card.

Award bios?

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

1 long 3 short is Video card it seems. Hope this helps your trouble shooting.

Oh sry i guess you identified that..

Yea dude sounds strange, Kinda thing you might need to toy with i guess. Considering nothing was changed from your successful boot to the non posting boot..

You try resetting the cmos and all that hoohaah?

Edited by Bundywow

from what I've learned, long beeps and three beeps usually corresponds to RAM, check if the RAM are properly fitted and also make sure that the 2 RAM you have are off the same model and brand, cause they can and do conflict if not.

In this case try using only one of the RAM.

best wishes, Merry Christmass and a Happy New Year :P

ok, i slept on it. that seems to have fixed the issues. no troubles booting at all now.

*shrugs*

I guess it just wanted you to leave it alone for a little while. Too much play.