Sign in to follow this  
segger

Ipv4 Block Registration (cont'd...)

spielentwickler:

I'm aware that the forward lookups will be configured by me, I'm just not sure about the best setup. What I was trying to figure out was, can I have the setup so that the dhcp server, being on the same machine as the name server, can get the required information from teh name servers configuration.

Ah. Well what you probably want is dynamic DNS registration which allows your PCs to register their names with your DNS server after they grab an address via DHCP. This can happen automagically with Microsoft clients and DNS servers and I'm pretty sure it's been implemented in other DNS server implementations also - I haven't needed to do it but I'm sure some googling will produce useful results.

Or you could reserve IP addresses by MAC address in the DHCP server and just create static A records for those addresses.

Or you could go for the integrated DNS & DHCP thing you mention - which may also exist.

Guess it depends on exactly what you're trying to do. If your machines already know what their name is but the issue is getting this into DNS, then the dynamic registration thing is probably most appropriate. If you just want to be able to resolve names to addresses in a forward fashion from anywhere on your network then static reservations are probably the easiest way to manage things.

Or you could go for the integrated DNS & DHCP thing you mention - which may also exist.

dnsmasq does this, it relays any dns queries that it doesn't have in its Leases to the upstream dns servers and the hosts file on the server.

I figured as much, as I was pretty sure I had most of it set up already.

I think the hardest part will be having different domain settings for the separate vlan's, I don't think is set up to exist on 3 networks at once....