krispy89

I'm thinking of

There's just a stigma associated with people on the dole. At least if my family were paying for me I know I'd be actively helping them around the house and earning my keep, and I'd also be able to pay them back one day.

So you wouldn't plan on ever being a useful member of society then?

It really is the same logic, just on a different scale.

Living on the dole for a long time when you have other options is bad. Using it as a temporary way of avoiding debt for yourself and your family is the reason it's there. Get a job. Pay it back.

Sounds to me like you've got too much money.

Would you like to take a look at my bank account then? Because it says otherwise.

Whats wrong with actually working?

What makes you think that I DON"T want to work?

I want to work, I've been sending resume's galore all over the place but never getting replies back.

I'd like to believe you, really i would...

Sounds to me like you've got too much money.

Would you like to take a look at my bank account then? Because it says otherwise.

its around $450-$500 p/Fortnight.

Getting on the dole is not that big of a deal. I mean, it can be a blow to the pride, but lets face it. You gotta eat. I considered it once, but didn't follow through, cause I was a fucking idiot

Even if all you get is $31 a week, why not jump through the hoops?

This sounds pretentious and snooty, but I have too much self respect to go on the dole. It's definitely a pride thing.

That'll change if you can't feed yourself.

There's not much chance of it ever coming to that. On my Dad's side of my family, they're all spanish, so there's a shitload of cousins and we're all extremely close. No one in our family would let anyone live on the street, something which has been proven time and time again when a few of my cousins who've made unfortunate life choices have been cared for by my aunts and uncles until they could get back on their feet.

I know not everyone is fortunate enough to have a support network like that, which is why i don't judge anyone who is on the dole. It's just a personal principle for me.

I'm not having a go at you, I just don't understand your view on this. You are too proud to go on the dole if you are in need but your happy for your distant family(cousins) to fund you instead? Personally I would be the other way around, too proud to take cash from my family, I would rather go on the dole.

There's just a stigma associated with people on the dole. At least if my family were paying for me I know I'd be actively helping them around the house and earning my keep, and I'd also be able to pay them back one day.

You've paid taxes, though. You've earned your keep.

If the employer is not going to be cough up the certificate, Centrelink can do without it, but the preference is to have it.

Since you're not 21, you'd be looking at Youth Allowance, and there's a whole lot of other things like independence, parental income etc, which would need to be take into consideration to work out how much benefit you'd be entitled to.

Edited by Wilkshake

Assuming he still lives at home and still gets food from there, I get the feeling that not going on the dole won't end up with krispy being unable to eat or pay off debts and generally ruining his life. It'll just mean he has no disposable income to burn on being social with friends.

When I'm not working and my savings run dry, that kind of spending is usually the first thing to go when I prioritise what I can do with the rest of my money.

Whats wrong with actually working?

What makes you think that I DON"T want to work?

I want to work, I've been sending resume's galore all over the place but never getting replies back.

Krispy, sending resumes is good, keep doing that.

Maybe it's time for *the hard sell*...I don't mean *desperate sell*. Go visit some of these places you've been sending your resume

to, let them see you in the flesh, doing the personal follow up.

Obviously go first to the more preferred places... look like you want the job and know what you're doing.

Don't be too needy or desperate. Just be confident that you can do what's required, and are capable of learning more as

time progresses...

On the other hand, you've been doing under the table work.

Which means no taxes.

So go blow a goat.

There aren't any goats around here tantryl so no thanks.

And also touching on the 'pride' issue as well, I don't like getting money from my mum/dad because I get guilty about it, I also feel the same way with going on the dole, like if I go on the dole it might screw up my credit rating in the future or something like that.

And also touching on the 'pride' issue as well, I don't like getting money from my mum/dad because I get guilty about it, I also feel the same way with going on the dole, like if I go on the dole it might screw up my credit rating in the future or something like that.

1. We don't have credit ratings here.

2. It doesn't affect your credit history. You're not borrowing the money, it's a helping hand from the government to help you get back on your feet.

although the point about avoiding paying tax does suggest hypocrisy if you then avail yourself to government support for which you've actively avoided contributing when you had an income

oh, the irony of double standards if you accept it (but think of the $)

although the point about avoiding paying tax does suggest hypocrisy if you then avail yourself to government support for which you've actively avoided contributing when you had an income

oh, the irony of double standards if you accept it (but think of the $)

If his employer isn't deducting the income tax, is it still tax avoidance?

But taking money under the table doesn't trouble you?

Since you don't actually seem to be opposed to doing it maybe you could go a little out of your way and find some goats. Then sell the resulting footage. But please, pay your damn taxes.

If his employer isn't deducting the income tax, is it still tax avoidance?

damn right !

and the employer is also breaking the law as i understand it

Since you don't actually seem to be opposed to doing it maybe you could go a little out of your way and find some goats. Then sell the resulting footage. But please, pay your damn taxes.

Fairy sure he can declare the income when he does his tax return.

damn right !

I disagree.

1. We don't have credit ratings here.

Not what I was told - both by a friend working in finance, and when advised of methods to improve mine.

Fairy sure he can declare the income when he does his tax return.

damn right !

I disagree.

you are correct presuming he has a conscience and declares it

and yes, there are credit ratings in australia, but they relate to bad debt rather than the dole ttbomk; if you are a responsible financial type you aren't penalised

When I first started out it didn't trouble me at all, but when I told my uncle who worked with the ATO gave me a reality check.

And the employer is also breaking the law as i understand it

The reason being that if anything happened to one of his un-official employees, he can say "Oh he's not an official employee, he just helps us out sometimes"

Partly the reason that I left my former employer.

Edited by krispy89

Getting on the dole is not that big of a deal. I mean, it can be a blow to the pride, but lets face it. You gotta eat. I considered it once, but didn't follow through, cause I was a fucking idiot

I like a man who can be honest with himself.

On the other hand, you've been doing under the table work.

Which means no taxes.

So go blow a goat.

There aren't any goats around here tantryl so no thanks.

But you're perfectly fine with doing illegal work and avoiding paying tax which has a potential gaol sentence? Yeah, can see you're thinking clearly.

But you're perfectly fine with doing illegal work and avoiding paying tax which has a potential gaol sentence? Yeah, can see you're thinking clearly.

The financial year hasn't ended, at this stage he's not avoiding paying tax.