krispy89

I'm thinking of

Self Explanatory.

After quitting my (un-official) job my finances weren't the best, and after going out for dinner tonight, my nanna told me that:

"You can't just go around with no money in your pocket"

I've been out of work for a month now, and my savings have gone downhill.

I'm seriously considering it but I'm having conflicting thoughts, are there any conditions that I have to abide by? Will I have to pay the money back etc.

Anyone here been on the dole?

Anyone here been on the dole?

Have been, but it was a long time ago, and things have probably changed.

Based on experience back then, you will:

- Have to obtain signatures from at a number of employers per week to say you've been looking for work. (It was 1 or 2 per week, then.)

- Have to declare your income (if any) and that will affect your dole payment.

- Lose your soul within six months. ;P

You may also be ineligible for assistance if you have significant assets and it's means tested atm.

You can get any job you want as soon as you cut your damned hair.

Buy a suit, get a clean cut and be confident and before you know it, BAM, president of Australia.

You should have appied as soon as out of work. Apply ASAP, if you get a job in meantime is easy to cancel. You make appointment to see them, show you been let go from last position (seperation cert, etc), and fill out paperwork. Nothing complicated. Leave swwet FA in your babk acounts, this will count against you if "reasonable" amount of funds there. Claim was spent paying bills if asked. Understand your obligations, receive the pittance the pay, find nerw job. Pretty straight forward.

Only reason you should have to pay is you lie to tthem, about having no work, and need to repay monies received you were not entitled to. If you get caught. :P

Straight-forward really. Make appointment or just turn up at offfice and wait, interview, fill out papaerwork, and agrre to everything. Then wait 2 weeks before they do shit for you. Easy. Tho, no less painful.

Will I have to pay the money back etc.

No, it's a part of what tax is for. Swallow your pride and apply for the dole, you should've done it the day you finished work.

Will I have to pay the money back etc.

No, it's a part of what tax is for. Swallow your pride and apply for the dole, you should've done it the day you finished work.

Since he was 'off the books', he could have been on it the whole time!

This sounds pretentious and snooty, but I have too much self respect to go on the dole. It's definitely a pride thing.

This sounds pretentious and snooty, but I have too much self respect to go on the dole. It's definitely a pride thing.

That'll change if you can't feed yourself.

There's not much chance of it ever coming to that. On my Dad's side of my family, they're all spanish, so there's a shitload of cousins and we're all extremely close. No one in our family would let anyone live on the street, something which has been proven time and time again when a few of my cousins who've made unfortunate life choices have been cared for by my aunts and uncles until they could get back on their feet.

I know not everyone is fortunate enough to have a support network like that, which is why i don't judge anyone who is on the dole. It's just a personal principle for me.

Edited by kamerong

I would have no hesitation.

I've paid a lot of tax in my time.

as new graduate i was always pleased to think that i personally knew enough people on the dole that they probably accounted for all my income tax being distributed

i was unemployed for several months after my 2nd postgrad year, and quite happy to take the money until i found work (interstate)

the hardest part was attending the mandatory face to face and having them incredulous that there was an unemployed doctor; these days it's probably common, as without further postgrad qualifications there is no right of medicare income, and the private sector resident positions are thin due to the multitude of postgrads who don't go on to further training

You should have applied as soon as out of work. Apply ASAP, if you get a job in meantime is easy to cancel. You make appointment to see them, show you been let go from last position (separation cert, etc), and fill out paperwork. Nothing complicated. Leave sweet FA in your bank accounts, this will count against you if "reasonable" amount of funds there. Claim was spent paying bills if asked. Understand your obligations, receive the pittance the pay, find nerw job. Pretty straight forward.

Only reason you should have to pay is you lie to them, about having no work, and need to repay monies received you were not entitled to. If you get caught. :P

Straight-forward really. Make appointment or just turn up at office and wait, interview, fill out paperwork, and agrre to everything. Then wait 2 weeks before they do shit for you. Easy. Tho, no less painful.

But if he's tossed in the job without a reasonable excuse (just cause he felt like it isn't a reasonable excuse) he's going to be looking at an eight-week non-payment period from the day after he last worked, before he'll get any money on Newstart.

It's difficult to say what the outcome will be without having the full situation to look at.

You should have applied as soon as out of work. Apply ASAP, if you get a job in meantime is easy to cancel. You make appointment to see them, show you been let go from last position (separation cert, etc), and fill out paperwork. Nothing complicated. Leave sweet FA in your bank accounts, this will count against you if "reasonable" amount of funds there. Claim was spent paying bills if asked. Understand your obligations, receive the pittance the pay, find nerw job. Pretty straight forward.

Only reason you should have to pay is you lie to them, about having no work, and need to repay monies received you were not entitled to. If you get caught. :P

Straight-forward really. Make appointment or just turn up at office and wait, interview, fill out paperwork, and agrre to everything. Then wait 2 weeks before they do shit for you. Easy. Tho, no less painful.

But if he's tossed in the job without a reasonable excuse (just cause he felt like it isn't a reasonable excuse) he's going to be looking at an eight-week non-payment period from the day after he last worked, before he'll get any money on Newstart.

It's difficult to say what the outcome will be without having the full situation to look at.

He was off the books.

No problem.

There's not much chance of it ever coming to that. On my Dad's side of my family, they're all spanish, so there's a shitload of cousins and we're all extremely close. No one in our family would let anyone live on the street, something which has been proven time and time again when a few of my cousins who've made unfortunate life choices have been cared for by my aunts and uncles until they could get back on their feet.

I know not everyone is fortunate enough to have a support network like that, which is why i don't judge anyone who is on the dole. It's just a personal principle for me.

I'm not having a go at you, I just don't understand your view on this. You are too proud to go on the dole if you are in need but your happy for your distant family(cousins) to fund you instead? Personally I would be the other way around, too proud to take cash from my family, I would rather go on the dole.

Which is why he should have appliesd straight away, to minimise the wait. That said, no, we don't have enough details.

If i could walk into a retail menswear outlet with no previous experience in that field (actually, i did once do night fill at kmart), get the job that day and then be promoted to store manager role within 6 months in a store located in a major cbd thoroughfare, then so can you.

Get off your arse and look.

He was off the books.

No problem.

Doesn't matter whether it's off the books or not.

Only thing will be that since it was off the books the employer will be less than forthcoming with a separation certificate. The non-payment period still applies.

Edited by Wilkshake

I don't think by former employer will be forthcoming with a certificate, and besides I don't fit the requirements for NewStart as I'm only 19, well 20 in a couple of weeks.

And if it involves me jumping through hoops to only get $62 per fortnight, then it won't be worth it.

Whats wrong with actually working?

What makes you think that I DON"T want to work?

I want to work, I've been sending resume's galore all over the place but never getting replies back.

I'm not having a go at you, I just don't understand your view on this. You are too proud to go on the dole if you are in need but your happy for your distant family(cousins) to fund you instead? Personally I would be the other way around, too proud to take cash from my family, I would rather go on the dole.

There's just a stigma associated with people on the dole. At least if my family were paying for me I know I'd be actively helping them around the house and earning my keep, and I'd also be able to pay them back one day.

Whats wrong with actually working?

What makes you think that I DON"T want to work?

I want to work, I've been sending resume's galore all over the place but never getting replies back.

erskine park, eh ?

have a look here as a temporary measure at $20.80/hr

And if it involves me jumping through hoops to only get $62 per fortnight, then it won't be worth it.

That's $31 a week more than you'll get for not jumping through the hoops.

Sounds to me like you've got too much money. Certainly more money than sense, anyway.