iamthemaxx

Is it rude to send an email to a bunch of random people without BCC?

I just got an email from an air conditioning company doing work in our complex who sent an email to about 50 people, all in the "To:" field.

Now I may be a stickler but I don't want 49 other people I don't know getting my email address.

Yes it's just an email address, but would you be ok with me sharing your phone number with 49 people you don't know? I mean it's just a number after all.

Wouldn't it be considered decent email etiquette to use BCC?

Wouldn't it be considered decent email etiquette to use BCC?

yes it would but do ppl care? No most don't

It is akin to what you said about phone numbers, in fact if someone was to ask me if I had someone elses number. I would check with that person 1st to make sure it is ok to give out their number.

Also on the email listing someone here did a bulk email with the group email list and it has ended up on a spam register somewhere so now all regularly get spam

Yea, quite frankly, I would get right up the tool that sent it out.

BCC is common courtesy when a large group of email addresses is involved, or even a small amount of email addresses belonging to strangers.

It's rude. How are you or I to determine how private one of our associates wants to be. To err on the side of caution is better.

I was reading recently that if you are registered on the Do Not Call (DNC) register, you may need to renew on the register as some records are about to expire as per below:

-

Some Australians who added their home phone numbers to the national Do Not Call database may find themselves receiving fresh telemarketing calls next year as the first entries on the national register expire.

It is expected more than four million telephone numbers will be registered on the government database by the end of this year, but the three-year time limit on registrations will lapse for more than 1 million numbers that were added when the database opened in May 2007. Those who fail to renew numbers will be available to receive calls by telemarketers, who regularly refresh their telephone databases against the Do Not Call register.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority is confident that subscribers who want phone numbers to stay on the register will follow reminders to renew them. The communications authority said last month there had been a 60% reduction in complaints received about the telemarketing industry since the introduction of the register. There are plans to allow phone subscribers with business, fax and emergency service numbers to include their numbers on the Do Not Call register, possibly next year.

I run across people and small business owners who don't know about the BCC field frequently.

I'm sure a polite email telling them about it and the privacy it provides will mean they'll do it in future.

Failing that, ask them a series of inane questions using the Reply to All button. Always good for a laugh.

Failing that, ask them a series of inane questions using the Reply to All button. Always good for a laugh.

Better to do that with asking a really personal question

I'm with the BCC crew, when it involves other random people.

Between colleagues or friends, TO is generally acceptable (though many still opt for BCC in this case too)... but definitely should be BCC with strangers.

I'd say I'm actually less concerned about privacy, per se, than I am about my email ending up on yet another spambot's list.

-A-

use telnet to send spam on the company's behalf to the entire contact list.

to prove a point about security.

Worse than just your email.

My mate went through some cheap company to get his Visa for a trip to Vietnam, a group email was sent out confirming details to about 20 people, and each one had everyone's full address, names, date of birth and passport numbers :P

+1. Play dumb, and everyone else on the To: list who gets pissed off at you, it will be reflected back to the original sender...

Even worse when someone uses 'Reply All' after failing to BCC.

Ever replied all to an email at work, an email that was meant for the person who sent it but not everyone such as the one i sent bagging out my boss once?

That was fun, it went out to EVERYONE in the building

Edited by Linux_Inside V2

It's actually a sackable offence for people in my job role to send out group communications to the clients and not use the BCC feild if the email regards certain topics.

It's actually a sackable offence for people in my job role to send out group communications to the clients and not use the BCC feild if the email regards certain topics.

so it should be, well maybe a caution 1st

Worse than just your email.

My mate went through some cheap company to get his Visa for a trip to Vietnam, a group email was sent out confirming details to about 20 people, and each one had everyone's full address, names, date of birth and passport numbers :P

Awesome...time to do some identity theft!