Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
nobodyishere

Vista Usb External Drive Troubles...

ok, i recently bought 2x WD elements 640gb external usb drives, im currently trying to install them in vista 32-bit ultimate, and having no luck.

when i plug it in, it says found wd 6400aak storage device and locating drivers, however it always fails.......

ive done a look around using google to find similar problems, closest thing ive found is: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/ph...amp;p_topview=1

ive tried the 11 steps to get it to work, but it still doesnt work, im out of ideas here......

maybe someone has come across this problem and knows how to fix it? any help would be awesome

last week i borrowed a mates 60gb fujitsu external usb drive, and that wouldnt work either, so i reinstalled xp to gain access to the drive, copied over what i needed, then re-installed vista, at this point, im thinking the only way im going to be able to use these drives is if i wipe my hdd, and reinstall xp again which i rather not do again.

im using vista cause i like to play crysis, and i have a radeon 2900xt so can run in dx10mode, only real reason why i have vista installed..... lol

hardware config is as follows (just in case it helps):

amd x2 6000+ @ 3.1ghz

4gb ddr2 ram

asus m2n-e sli motherboard (dont ask)

2x WD hdds, 1x320gb 1x500g

Okay, have you installed the USB drivers for your motherboard in Vista? Given how it is searching and failing is an indication that the drivers are either incorrectly installed or it can't find them.

Okay, have you installed the USB drivers for your motherboard in Vista? Given how it is searching and failing is an indication that the drivers are either incorrectly installed or it can't find them.

there are no usb drivers for my motherboard, i downloaded and installed the lastest nforce drivers for my mb off nvidia's website, it only contains a updated ethernet+smbus drivers

using the default windows vista usb drivers, im using a logitech g15 keyboard+g5 mouse, and they work perfectly (well the mouse is having problems switching dpi modes >.> )

so windows usb drivers are working, it cant find a compatbile driver for the hdd from what im understanding....