Sign in to follow this  
ROUBOS

How big does the UPS need to be? (watts?)

Hi,

just building a new system and was wondering how big does the UPS really has to be?

Do we go by the PSU watts? So when I get a nice 600W PSU I will also need my UPS to have output of 600W?

Tried the APC calculator on their site and it comes out with an expensive UPS. So I was wondering if thats what we're supposed to look out for. The watt output of the UPS to be the same or more than the PSU Watts.

thanks

The UPS certainly won't need to be as big as your PSU. Just because you have a PSU capable of supplying 600W (or whatever) doesn't mean it actually draws that much power from the wall socket. The PSU will only draw the amount of power demanded of it by your PC.

So then it comes down to what sort of gear you've got in your PC. Basically what kind and how many GPUs? What CPU? How many HDDs? Any overclocking? Fans only add a few watts each so don't matter so much. Also if you're planning on plugging your screen into the UPS as well, that would need to be taken into consideration.

What sort of specs have you got?

The UPS certainly won't need to be as big as your PSU. Just because you have a PSU capable of supplying 600W (or whatever) doesn't mean it actually draws that much power from the wall socket. The PSU will only draw the amount of power demanded of it by your PC.

So then it comes down to what sort of gear you've got in your PC. Basically what kind and how many GPUs? What CPU? How many HDDs? Any overclocking? Fans only add a few watts each so don't matter so much. Also if you're planning on plugging your screen into the UPS as well, that would need to be taken into consideration.

What sort of specs have you got?

MOBO: ASUS M4A77TD PRO

CPU: AMD Phenom 2 X4 965 3.4GHZ

GPU: ASUS EAH5770

Monitor: LG 24" LCD

RAM: 4 or 8 Gb Dual Channel RAM 1600

PSU: Corsair HX 520W Modular

A higher VA would be useful if the blackout occurs while gaming or encoding video or something. On the desktop while idling or doing basic stuff like posting on atomic the entire box will only draw 100-130W AC.

Edited by tantryl

A higher VA would be useful if the blackout occurs while gaming or encoding video or something. On the desktop while idling or doing basic stuff like posting on atomic the entire box will only draw 100-130W AC.

Reason I suggest bigger is I had a 500VA UPS for some time. I then upgraded the PC but kept the UPS and all was well till I tried to play a game. Seems the HD 3870 was a bit too much and the UPS started beeping like crazy as it went in to overload.

:-(

So I made sure the new UPS had plenty of spare capacity for future upgrades.

I'd say 800VA or higher would be fine. 500VA would struggle with a higher spec PC.

I've got a 1000VA UPS attached to the home PC since I've got a speaker system, PC and the monitor all running off the UPS.

Edited by Jeruselem

dont mind if it does not stay on for long.

just enough time to shutdown will do. 10 minutes? or less I guess

this good enough? Back UPS RS LCD 550 Master Control http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techsp...ase_sku=BR550GI

i think all the APC UPS comes with a USB cable which signals you PC and the software can shut you PC down at a set % level of battery left.

dont mind if it does not stay on for long.

just enough time to shutdown will do. 10 minutes? or less I guess

Do you have some sort of system to shut the PC down when you're not there when the power fails?

I'm having flaky power problems in my complex, which is slowly killing my raid arrays (I should - and will - just break them, but the sudden outages on the PC's are pissing my off.)

So I'm looking for a reasonable UPS as well. I think I'll have to get something pricey. 3 PCs for 10 minutes is all I'm really looking for, enough time to shutdown gracefully.

no, no system to shutdown the pc when i'm not there

As was mentioned earlier all UPSs come with a monitor cable (mostly USB these days) you plug it in install the UPS software and it does the monitoring for you, if the power fails it gracefully shuts the PC down after a specific time period on batteries.