Sign in to follow this  
neX

Steam Purchases

Good work going to the trouble of putting forward an email that wasn't "fuck yoose yoose fuckin' fucks", which seems to be the usual approach.

The basic thing seems to be they're trying not to undercut store front retailers in Oz... but of course the reason store front retailers in Oz. Which, honestly, is kind of fair. Because we have our own laws and rating to abide by, and because we have a relatively tiny market, there would certainly be extra costs in bringing the product to market in Aus.

That would warrant the occasional 10% and maybe even a 33% increase. RF: Geurilla makes zero sense, since as far as I can tell it hasn't been released on PC in AU. So presumably they haven't gone through the ratings process?

Hey well done on contacting them about the issue.

My thoughts:

-Steam operate store-fronts for different countries that have specific pricing and content. Australia and New Zealand have a different store to the US

Are they blaming steam/valve?

-However, Steam are not currently able to operate in AU$ or NZ$ and have to display prices in US$

Yep, how that effects $US on Aus/NZ site vs US site I'm not sure.

-We cannot talk in detail about how the Steam pricing model works but we can tell you that we start in our local currencies and then convert them to US$.

AFAIK 1 US dollar is 1 US dollar, no matter where in the world you are. The only variant in the conversion then would be how much they're converting into USD. Which basically means they're still over charging us right from the beginning.

-Typically you will find that the Steam price for Australian or New Zealand customers is close or below the SRP once you convert it back into AU$ or NZ$.

Why should a digital download version still cost almost the same as a physical copy that needs to be manufactured and shipped around the world?

-When the US$ is weak against the AU$ or NZ$ this gives the impression that we are hiking up prices.

So they don't convert to USD from AUD? Seem to be saying their USD asking price doesn't change compared to exchange rates.

-In fact, our pricing remains consistent with other retailers in the Australian and New Zealand markets.

Again, it's a digital copy. Should be cheaper.

- We update pricing with Steam regularly as exchange rates change or pricing moves in our local markets.

Two points ago they seemed to point out the opposite.

-We cannot talk in detail about how the Steam pricing model works but we can tell you that we start in our local currencies and then convert them to US$.

AFAIK 1 US dollar is 1 US dollar, no matter where in the world you are. The only variant in the conversion then would be how much they're converting into USD. Which basically means they're still over charging us right from the beginning.

My thoughts exactly.

And also anyone else with half a brain.

Edited by bushi

They answered your question bundy, in an ass about way.

Basically, they feel that they can charge as much for a digital copy of a game as they can for a retail copy. And because most games in AUS are between 50-100AUD, 80-90USD seems* fair, when really it should be significantly less, as we have don't get a box/manual etc.

THQ have been at this for years, ever since they first pulled all their titles off steam and added them a year later at 2-3 times the price.

*To them, not us.

That would warrant the occasional 10% and maybe even a 33% increase. RF: Geurilla makes zero sense, since as far as I can tell it hasn't been released on PC in AU. So presumably they haven't gone through the ratings process?

http://www.ebgames.com.au/pc-147754-Red-Faction-Guerrilla-PC

So presumably they haven't gone through the ratings process?

if the game is exactly the same as it is on another platform then it doesn't need to go through the ratings system again as its already been cleared once.

Thanks for posting that email dude, good reading.

I can understand the reasons for not undercutting the retailers but I still think this is basically price gouging, the publishers save heaps of time and effort in distribution costs if they don't have to ship physical product, yet they are refusing to pass this on to consumers. You are paying nearly the same price for an inferior product. At the store you get a box with artwork, a physical disc with the software on it (so you save time and effort downloading) and a printed manual (although sadly, these are going the way of the dodo. Old games used to have awesome manuals, with hundreds of pages, artwork, developer commentary, backstory etc, now you get a slip of paper with basic installation instructions). With some rare exceptions, you can sell physical copies of the game when you have done with them but you can't do that with steam.

They cry foul about piracy but things like this don't exactly help either. (hmmm sounds like a couple of other entertainment industries that I've heard of...)

I'll be using that steamprices site at every opportunity.