fLuXeD

Active DisplayPort adapter

I've recently landed myself a Radeon 5850 and I'd like to use 3 displays with it. Problem is the third display must use DisplayPort and my displays don't have that. I need an active DisplayPort->DVI-D converter (a passive one won't work) but they're quite hard to come by. The only one I can find is at this link at Amazon.com, but this item only ships to the US.

I've contacted the manufacturer of this adapter (BizLink, who's has retail brand Accell) and they've informed me they have no Australian distributors for this product. They weren't much help beyond providing me the Amazon.com link that won't ship to Oz and another site they sell to that does ship to Oz but doesn't stock this product. Dell also sells the same adapter rebranded as their own, but they only sell it on their US site and not on their AU site (and you guessed it, the US site won't ship to AU).

Does anyone know where I can get an active DisplayPort->DVI-D adapter? This must be a common enough problem as these are necessary to connect 3 displays to a Radeon 58xx card unless you have a DisplayPort monitor (which are few and far between). Running 3+ displays with these cards was a big part of ATI's marketing campaign.

Apparently the adapters are quite expensive since it's not just a case of different pin-outs. But I gather you know that by looking at the price in that Amazon link. Umm, I guess eBay is the way to go. I've heard that the Apple adapters are faulty, not sure if they've fixed them yet. Apparently Dell is the way to go (according the a netcast I was listening to).

Yeah, stay clear of the Apple one.

Cheers for the advice to avoid the Apple one Cyb3rGlitch. These things are more expensive than I'd like but I really want to get this other monitor running so I can have dual screen desktop + TV running from the same box.

Antraman: Cheers for the link but, yeah, it needs to be active. With the passive adapters, a graphics card would usually produce the normal signal used over DVI-D and send it out the DisplayPort. The passive adapter would just pass this signal through to a DVI-D cable and the DVI-D monitor wouldn't know any different. Unfortunately the new Radeons are only capable of producing 2 of these signals for DVI-D (which I will already be using from 2 DVI-D ports). For a third display they are only capable of outputting the normal DisplayPort signal so only a monitor with DisplayPort can understand it. To use it on a non-DisplayPort monitor, an active converter is needed to convert the actual signal to a different type. The original signal can't simply be passed through as with the passive adapters.

I really think ATI made a bit of a minor blunder hear by not making sure these adapters were readily available prior to the launch of the 5xxx series with their EyeFinity technology.

I really think ATI made a bit of a minor blunder hear by not making sure these adapters were readily available prior to the launch of the 5xxx series with their EyeFinity technology.

Indeed, I'd never heard of DisplayPort jacks on monitors but it seems like there's gonna be more around in the future: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

Supports DRM. WTF?

Apparently the adapters are quite expensive since it's not just a case of different pin-outs. But I gather you know that by looking at the price in that Amazon link. Umm, I guess eBay is the way to go. I've heard that the Apple adapters are faulty, not sure if they've fixed them yet. Apparently Dell is the way to go (according the a netcast I was listening to).

Yeah, stay clear of the Apple one.

Apple adapter works perfectly for me. The main complaints on the Apple site seem to be that it converts DP to DVI-D only, whereas the cuntstomers appear to have assumed that it is a DP to DVI-I adapter. Nowhere in the product listing does it state that it supports analogue signalling. Assumption is the mother of all fuckups. Edited by iain671

It has know image quality issues though, particularly in regards to ghosting. I believe that's the case for both DVI-I and DVI-D.

Really? Have you experienced this first hand, or are you going on what you've read?

I've not seen any ghosting whilst using DVI-D (the adapter doesn't support Analogue signalling, therefore cannot support DVI-I)

However this is all quite off-topic given that MiniDisplayPort != DisplayPort.

Edited by iain671

I've recently landed myself a Radeon 5850 and I'd like to use 3 displays with it. Problem is the third display must use DisplayPort and my displays don't have that. I need an active DisplayPort->DVI-D converter (a passive one won't work) but they're quite hard to come by. The only one I can find is at this link at Amazon.com, but this item only ships to the US.

I've contacted the manufacturer of this adapter (BizLink, who's has retail brand Accell) and they've informed me they have no Australian distributors for this product. They weren't much help beyond providing me the Amazon.com link that won't ship to Oz and another site they sell to that does ship to Oz but doesn't stock this product. Dell also sells the same adapter rebranded as their own, but they only sell it on their US site and not on their AU site (and you guessed it, the US site won't ship to AU).

Does anyone know where I can get an active DisplayPort->DVI-D adapter? This must be a common enough problem as these are necessary to connect 3 displays to a Radeon 58xx card unless you have a DisplayPort monitor (which are few and far between). Running 3+ displays with these cards was a big part of ATI's marketing campaign.

You could always use one of the services that will purchase and forward to you, such as www.priceusa.com.au

I'm looking into this forwarding service thing. Not sure how expensive it's gonna be at this stage. I'm also going to call Dell Australia tomorrow to see if they can sell me the adapter they have on their US website.

bump

any solution?

could you just use a dvi->vga plug on dvi connector then use a passive one?

Edited by B82R3S

That's a bit of a different solution B82R3S, but from everything I've read, the third display must necessarily use a native DisplayPort signal. This unfortunately means you must have either a DisplayPort monitor or an active DisplayPort adapter regardless of which combination of other adapters are used.

I've been on the phone to Dell a couple times to see if they'll sell me the adapter they sell in the US but that's been rather trying. The first time they said they'd check and get back to me with a photo of the part so I could confirm it was what I wanted - they didn't. I called for a second time yesterday and this time they sent me a photo while I was on the phone. The photo was the correct item - the BizLink active DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter. I was told that this would cost AU$165 (including GST, postage and handling). They are going to call me back sometime this week to confirm its availability and begin the transaction (supposedly).

That's a bit of a different solution B82R3S, but from everything I've read, the third display must necessarily use a native DisplayPort signal. This unfortunately means you must have either a DisplayPort monitor or an active DisplayPort adapter regardless of which combination of other adapters are used.

I've been on the phone to Dell a couple times to see if they'll sell me the adapter they sell in the US but that's been rather trying. The first time they said they'd check and get back to me with a photo of the part so I could confirm it was what I wanted - they didn't. I called for a second time yesterday and this time they sent me a photo while I was on the phone. The photo was the correct item - the BizLink active DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter. I was told that this would cost AU$165 (including GST, postage and handling). They are going to call me back sometime this week to confirm its availability and begin the transaction (supposedly).

:O @ $165

might aswell buy a monitor with the port on it lol

There are very few monitors that have DisplayPort and the only ones I can find are at the expensive end of the spectrum so I would still have to spend an extra $200 or so over the price of cheap monitor and the adapter. Neither of my 2 local computer stores stock any DisplayPort monitors at all in the 22-24" range.

There are very few monitors that have DisplayPort and the only ones I can find are at the expensive end of the spectrum so I would still have to spend an extra $200 or so over the price of cheap monitor and the adapter. Neither of my 2 local computer stores stock any DisplayPort monitors at all in the 22-24" range.

Indeed. Eizo among them.....

What pisses me off is ATi make no freakin mention of this when flogging off Eyefinity to the masses.

Yeah sure our groovy 58XX range offers our exclusive Eyefinity (shhh don't mention you need an expensive and hard to get part for it to work)

What pisses me off is ATi make no freakin mention of this when flogging off Eyefinity to the masses.

Yeah sure our groovy 58XX range offers our exclusive Eyefinity (shhh don't mention you need an expensive and hard to get part for it to work)

I hear ya there, but I think that we are going to see a lot of more mainstream monitors with DispayPort available in the future. Its a fairly new architecture, and there appears to be a number of heavyweights behind it, so I think ATI is basically futureproofing the card in some way by making it compatible with a technology that is yet to become commonplace. I believe it will become commonplace, simply by the fact that is has some facility for DRM built into the standard.

Well I've finally managed to order the BizLink adapter through Dell Australia after many emails and phone calls. It cost me AU$165 (including GST & postage/handling). The lead time is 4 to 6 weeks since they have none in stock atm *crosses fingers for 4*. I think it's pretty unlikely that a cheap 22-24" DisplayPort monitor will be released between now and then but I guess I can only have a laugh if it is.

In case anyone else wants to order a the same adapter through Dell Australia, here's some information that may help expedite the process:

Contact Dell AU Sales on 1800 812 393 (phone number from their web site)

The part number I was given by Dell Australia is XT625.

Picture of the BizLink DisplayPort to DVI-D Dual Link Adapter Cable (active adapter)

Posted Image

http://www.bizlinktech.com/future_displayport.html

Same adapter at Dell US web site

Manufacturer Part# as listed on Dell US web site: R478G

Dell Part# as listed on Dell US web site: 330-5521