Goth

Atheists Too Hot to Handle for Victorian Government

http://www.atheistconvention.org.au/2009/1...ian-government/

At present, something like 1400 tickets have been sold - 1000 tickets were sold after less than three weeks after ticket sales opened.

The funding that was requested by the AFA for this major convention, attracting many, many interstate visitors and tourism (as per the intended spirit of the government funding, to encourage visitors and local economic stimulus), was only something like $200,000; a tiny fraction of the government money handed out to theistic events regularly.

The Atheist Foundation of Australia (AFA) has questioned a decision by the Victorian Government to reject an application for funding for the Global Atheist Convention to be held in Melbourne next March.

The application was made in June 2009 through the Premier’s Department. It was then passed like a ball of flaming brimstone to the Convention and Visitors Bureau and, from there, to the Victorian Multicultural Commission where it has remained, smouldering, for months.

The AFA was advised that the basic criteria for funding was over one thousand ticket sales, including purchases from interstate and overseas. That goal was accomplished in October.

Also in October, the Atheist Foundation received a letter of rejection from the Premier’s Department. But, when AFA President, David Nicholls, questioned the decision he was told the letter had been sent in error, because the application was now being handled elsewhere.

This week, the Convention & Visitors Bureau advised that it was rejecting the AFA’s application because the Convention was already ‘secured’. This was a surprise to the AFA, who believed their application was being handled through the Multicultural Commission and had never been told that securing a venue would disqualify the Convention from funding. In fact, the venue was secured months ago prompting no comment from any government department until now.

"One has to ask," says Nicholls, "how you can confirm 1,000 ticket sales before having a venue secured."

"And," Nicholls continues, "if our application didn’t meet the government criteria, why did they hold on to our application for five months without once mentioning that fact?"

The Global Atheist Convention is a major international event, involving an impressive line-up of world-class speakers. The Convention has been promoted world-wide and will be the largest gathering of freethinkers in Australia’s history. At least 2,000 people are expected to attend the event, bringing considerable publicity and revenue to Victoria. While applications were made to federal, state and municipal authorities with careful attention to meeting funding criteria, not one application has yet been approved.

Conversely, The Parliament of the World’s Religions which is hosting 5,000 people at the same venue (the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre) has attracted $4.5 million in government support – 16 times the amount requested by the AFA.

"The atheist community is large, well-educated and well-connected," said Nicholls. "It’s not going to take long for word to get out internationally that Victoria does not welcome non-theists."

Still, Nicholls is hopeful the situation can be resolved.

"Either this is an ideological and bigoted decision on the part of the Brumby government or a serious bureaucratic bungle. We’re very hopeful that it’s the latter and that Mr Brumby will step in quickly and put things right."

Edited by Goth

Hold up, lets be fair and rational about these things.

It takes a lot of money to baby proof a venue before you allow 5000 dribbling spastics hold a convention there. From a PLI perspective, i can totally see why they'd spend much more on the god bothering event. It could be argued that they should be spending more, but i'd argue that perhaps its in everyones best interests to leave them in a room full of forks and powerpoints and just see what happens.

Atheists have no morals, they're going to destroy everything with their lack of faith and will of the devil.

Does anyone remember how much was spent getting the pope out last time?

I wouldn't mind this so much if they didn't waste money on other religious events. Pay for them all or none at all.

Maybe it's the case that people don't believe that it's happening is the reason they've only sold 1400 tickets.

i c wut u did thar

Atheists have no morals, they're going to destroy everything with their lack of faith and will of the devil.

Bugs me when people say this..

That's because you've got no morals, and the devil's whispering in your ear.

Are you trolling dude?

Morals aren't born form any religion, if they were how would you explain all social animals displaying morals, the fact that moral laws existed in non religious etc..

That's not trolling; that's sarcasm.

So was the first comment you replied to.

This sounds like a topic for Hungry Beast.

Edited by Kimmo

Are you trolling dude?

Morals aren't born form any religion, if they were how would you explain all social animals displaying morals, the fact that moral laws existed in non religious etc..

More making a joke. Like smithjoe1 was. Vacuum the sand out of that vagina, dude.

Way to put sand in somebody's vagina, tantryl.

He wasn't being sandy; merely demonstrating his sarcasm detector is on the fritz.

Way to put sand in somebody's vagina, tantryl.

He wasn't being sandy; merely demonstrating his sarcasm detector is on the fritz.

Fair comment.

Sorry 'bout that Bundy.

I think this convention points out the difference between faith & spirituality versus religion.

Atheism is a religion. At least for some people.

Fair enough, I myself wouldn't be crazy about my taxes paying for a bunch of batshit crazy pseudointellectual wankers/lunatics ranting and raving about how all religion must be destroyed and how all people must be forcibly converted because some Christian chick wouldn't give Richard Dawkins the punani unless he married her.

Edited by The Manta

I think the real issue here is that logic and skepticism will always take a back seat to mass hysteria

Fair enough, I myself wouldn't be crazy about my taxes paying for a bunch of batshit crazy pseudointellectual wankers/lunatics ranting and raving about how all religion must be destroyed and how all people must be forcibly converted because some Christian chick wouldn't give Richard Dawkins the punani unless he married her.

Even in a society that hands money hand over fist to paedophiles and fuckwits so they can rant and rave about their imaginary friends, and how the rest of society must conform to their rules in order for the world to be "right"?

Edited by Juggalo Scrub

Even in a society that hands money hand over fist to paedophiles and fuckwits so they can rant and rave about their imaginary friends, and how the rest of society must conform to their rules in order for the world to be "right"?

Not particularly a fan of them either.

Not particularly a fan of them either.

But its already happening whether you're a fan of it or not.

Does that still make this "Fair enough" as you initially stated?