Sign in to follow this  
adjool

Help noob with upgrade ideas.....please

Hi guys, my desktop has finally died and I need to upgrade / replace it on a budget (the less the better). My current motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8PE667 (I know very old) and the only thing I really want to keep is the two IDE HDD that I have. Can I convert / run these through SATA slot somehow?

It is only ever used for sorting storing images, internet usage and a bit of office type stuff so it doesn't have to be too flash. Saying that though I would like to be able to run Windows 7.

If anyone has any suggestions on suitable gear, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

adjool

If I'm in the wrong forum please slot me somewhere more appropriate.

all the new motherboards still have at least one IDE PATA port. so thats your 2 drives covered.

u describe your uses as very simple, a geaphics card isnt very needed in that system.

If recommend a Core2Duo system with an ASUS motherboard and abour 2GB of ram. Will be very cheap.

Do you have any other information or do you just want a pre-configured machine?

One good option is a low end laptop, with external screen and keyboard for home use. put your old drives into USB caddies

all the new motherboards still have at least one IDE PATA port. so thats your 2 drives covered.

u describe your uses as very simple, a geaphics card isnt very needed in that system.

If recommend a Core2Duo system with an ASUS motherboard and abour 2GB of ram. Will be very cheap.

Do you have any other information or do you just want a pre-configured machine?

One good option is a low end laptop, with external screen and keyboard for home use. put your old drives into USB caddies

Thanks for the reply. I've had a quick look and was thinking about the ASUS P5G41-M-LX at $63, along with an Intel E6300 CPU for $89. Is this along the lines you were thinking?

Also, how do I know if my case / PSU will be suffice?

Cheers

adjool

Personally I think the suggestion of a laptop by Master_Scythe is the way to go, plus you then also get portability and a whole new machine. I recently had a new Toshiba and was cleaning all the trial ware off for a client and installing their programs, and was quite impressed with it's performance. They added another 2 gig of ram and the machine came with windows 7 in either 32bit or 64 bit flavours.

Toshiba Satellite 15" Notebook $678.00 (after cash back)

Or this HP Presario 15" Notebook $577.00 if you want to save $100.00 bucks. I guess the smaller hdd of this model would not be a problem if you put your IDE drives in caddies as suggested by Master_Scythe .

My 2c worth :)

EDIT: fixed I hope.

Edited by bowiee

If you decide that you still want the desktop option, I would go for the new AMD Athlon II X2's they are very good bang for your buck. Here is what I would do:

AMD Athlon II X2 240 $69

Asus M4A785-M $92

Kingston DDR2 2048MB(2x1G)PC6400 800Mhz $65

Total $226 from umart.

Actually, at least with intel branded boards, there are a couple of models without pata. Doesn't affect what you are looking at. Just thought I should mention it.

I agree. with your uses, a keyboard, mouse, 24" screen, and a laptop is the way to go.

But if it has to be a desktop, then the sort of thing you are looking at is perfect. my advice is to actually go to a propper computer store (not a chain one; harvey norman and dick smith are out! unless its for a laptop) and look at their preconfigured systems.

Sure they cost a little more, but you get warranty and its still so much cheaper than a big chain store (and more powerful).

in all seriousness though, laptop and external peripherals man, you wont regret it.