neX

PS3 v 360

Just looking at some of the offers for the PS3 and 360 bundles and am looking to upgrade from my Xbox Classic in regards to playing my sports games - FIFA07 just doesn't cut it anymore.

As a backgrounder, I am rabid PC gamer and primarily use the Xbox Classic with XBMC for Viusal and Streaming Entertainment in the living room with the occasional FIFA07 session which can last up to 6-7 hours depending on my mood.

As such, my decision will be based on the ease of modding (for future uses) when the unit becomes end of life, Blu Ray isn't too important to me either due to my current arrangements, games available, inherent issues with both systems etc.

So what would you recommend purchasing and why?

Look at the list of exclusives available for each. Decide based on that.

This.

I wanted PS3 for the blu ray, which is awesome. Wasn't too concerned about modding myself. It's best you look into the whole modding scene for 360 to see if it's affected by the latest online ban.

To be honest I feel the current gen is lacking good titles probably because big publishers can push more casual games out the door just as easy (or easier) then intricate, deeper games Xbox suffers from this a little more then ps3 does. 360 has been the more popular console out of the 2 for a while but anyone with 2 eyes can see ps3 is gaining momentum with more innovative expansion of their on-line and getting more exclusives lined up with Rockstar confirmed to make 2 exclusives for ps3 next. Pluss all the xbox exclusive DLC has began, or has, hit the ps3.

Because I love things like Metal Gear etc I took the ps3. Also all the portable games are on pc and i couldn't give 2 shits about the bland GoW and Halo..

So I would still take the PS3, that being said nothing beats a good PC in my eyes.

Just looking at some of the offers for the PS3 and 360 bundles and am looking to upgrade from my Xbox Classic in regards to playing my sports games - FIFA07 just doesn't cut it anymore.

As a backgrounder, I am rabid PC gamer and primarily use the Xbox Classic with XBMC for Viusal and Streaming Entertainment in the living room with the occasional FIFA07 session which can last up to 6-7 hours depending on my mood.

As such, my decision will be based on the ease of modding (for future uses) when the unit becomes end of life, Blu Ray isn't too important to me either due to my current arrangements, games available, inherent issues with both systems etc.

So what would you recommend purchasing and why?

if you want too mod the 360 is the only choice , but you will have too put up with possible bannings and consoles failures and a fee for online play.

ps3 is the better option in my opinion if you are not modding... not just because you cant but i find it a better media server with a blueray player (which you said you dont care about but microsoft have allready stated they wont be making one if you want it in the future) so basicly thats some things too consider.

and as said before look at the games you want too play and what do most of your friends own?

360 = free games if you choose.

ps3 = better media server and reliability.

Everyones already said the jist really, but if you decide to go down the 360 route remember that by the time your 360 is old enough to warrant modding etc it may just be an expensive paper weight (I may be wrong but I got the idea from your post that you would wait further into its life cycle before screwing around with it)

I seriously expect a $500+ piece of consumer electronics to last longer than 3 years.

I went with the PS3 because I am a hardcore PC gamer who has absolutely no interest in playing FPS on a console, therefore most of the 360 exclusives are useless to me.

That and there are plenty of exclusive games on PS3 I want to play.

Also the PS3 is a frucking great media server, it looks snappy and if one of the original ones, looks not out of place next to expensive home theartre components.

Hmm, I'd choose based on the following:

1. Are the games I want to play available on this platform?

2. Do I want this machine for gaming, or do I want to use it for Blu-Ray movies too?

3. Am I willing to spend extra for the aforementioned Blu-Ray capabilities.

4. Do I want a console with a better GPU, or better CPU? The former means better textures and shadows, the latter typically means better physics.

5. Am I willing to pay for online access?

XBOX360 answers:

1. N/A - This question is up to you.

2. This console it primarily a gaming machine. There's no Blu-Ray capabilities.

3. N/A

4. XBOX360 has the better GPU. There's no two ways about it.

5. I haven't used it myself, but apparently the XBOX360 has a superior online experience. But, you have to pay for it.

PS3 answers:

1. N/A - This question is up to you.

2. The PS3 tries hard to be a complete home media machine. If you need a Blu-Ray player, it may be a better choice.

3. N/A - Up to you.

4. The PS3 has a better CPU (i.e. the Cell). Make from that what you will, although in theory that would allow for better physics capabilities.

5. The online service is free. However, a paid premium service is coming soon, so who knows that that entails.

Personally I'd go for the XBOX360. The RRoD issues are rare with the latest revision consoles, and the warranty is top notch. When I buy a console, I buy it for the games, and the XBOX does that well for a good price.

+1 to everything said.

In my opinon, Xbox 360 is dating (technologically speaking) very quickly. Although as a gaming platform it can't be faulted. However, exclusives should only matter if the majority on one console or another. I find that i play the PS3 more than the XBOX 360. PS3 does have Blu Ray and playTV and the Xbox 360 has Media Centre capability and Xbox Live (Paid Service). I have a WD TV Live does my MKV files.

The PS3 is not $499.95 and it is getting cheaper due to Blu Ray Drives being cheaper. Xbox 360 has always been cheaper But you need to think where you will do most of your console gaming.

PS3 is not really a console for modding. However with the Xbox 360 you can however, MS may ban you with a hacked console if you go online.

That said, the difference between consoles is very little these days. Depends on usage.

Edited by 2SHY

Based on the fact that you just want to play new FIFA games, and watch media, either will do that job. The choice is barely even significant.

In terms of modding, PS3 can't be modded, and 360 can be modded but only to play pirated shit (correct me on that - not super knowledgable about 360 homebrew), and then you're fucked online, and that's a crap thing to do anyway.

So both are useless in that respect.

If you want media streaming both can handle divx and other formats, either streamed and/or transcoded from PC, or direct from removable media, or the HD itself.

I would say these are the main pros/cons for you:

PS3

pros - reliable, likely to last a long time, upgradeable HD.

cons - *more expensive (depends), not the slightest bit modabble for anything useful.

pros - *cheap (unless you add peripherals, Live), modding scene means it might do something that insterests you in the future

cons - shitty hardware - apparently prone to issues even after updates/revisions (although much better), probably the worst machine possible to buy with the idea that you'll only use it a little bit now and then thrash it in a few years.

Edited by xfu

Great feedback there by all - has certainly given me some food for thought.

I guess it may come down to games and future proofing.

I am not a big fan of online gaming subscriptions so LIVE does not really appeal to me. It seems the PS3 has the superior tech and the free gaming service sounds enticing.

Not too concerned about modding straight away as I am happy with the current setup (XBMC+Aeon=WIN). Again the PS3 looks to be the option with its Media Server and upgradeable hard drive. And the lack of a Blu-Ray player at the moment again tilts the scales towards the PS3 - although I doubt I will use it for that specific purpose unless someone brings over a blue movie... I mean Blu-Ray movie! :p

I hate FPS on consoles - IMO there is no place for them on consoles hence why I am a PC fanatic (Quaker from way back) and play Sports/Driving games on the console.

Thanks again everyone!

The myth of PS3's 'superior tech' is alive and well I see.

Surely by now, if anything has been demonstrated comprehensively, it is the fact that there is really very little separating the two from a hardware standpoint. It comes down to software, software and software, as far as gaming goes.

Other than that, Bluray, price and online are the remaining consideration.

That, and which controller works better for you. I just can't come to grips with the 360 controller.

Depends on how you want your games to look and run. Both are easy for streaming media (the ps3 feels slightly more streamlined in the menu, but the 360 is better for watching the streamed media imo because its quicker to skip parts and easier to resume watching something you had going previously) Also, games tend to run and look alot better on 360, not all, but alot. Check out Eurogamer for some comparisons of multi platform games you might be interested in.

Personally I think the PS3 has better Exclusives than the 360 (LBP, Uncharted 1 and 2 are some of my fave games of all time) But alot of cross platform games look very plain in comparison to 360. I originally purchased skate 2 for PS3, but took it back and swapped for 360 the next day because 20fps on a skate game doesnt cut it, its alot smoother on 360. Assassins Creed 2 is another game that suffers from a case of the slowdowns inherent to cross platform PS3 titles.

But ultimately, its up to you.

Theyre both great consoles in their own right, I own both, and while I enjoy playing them, I still prefer the 360 over the PS3 from a pure gaming perspective for the better framerates and visuals (google eurogamer ghostbusters comparison) From a Media Centre perspective, well its a mixed bag. I'm personally not that into BluRays, so that never held any sway over me (although being able to watch them now, they are pretty) and the ease of streaming media on both is a big plus, I dont think one is really better than the other in that regard.

Go visit some friends that have either console and play with them for a bit, see how the games go (I'd put money on FIFA10 being better on 360, just from experience)

Or you could build a HTPC :P

*EDIT* Oh and as for online, I prefer Xbox Live Gold, I feel it is a much superior service, seems to find games alot quicker, and browsing the game store is a hell of a lot simpler than the ps3 one. You can atleast sort by Demo, Addon etc.

Edited by nukejockey

That, and which controller works better for you. I just can't come to grips with the 360 controller.

Oh yeah! Good point! The controller makes a huge difference. I personally loathe the Playstation controller. It's the very definition of RSI. The XBOX 360 controller is probably the most comfortable gamepad I have ever used. Again, it's personal preference.

For the record, I own neither XBOX 360 nor PS3. I have a PS2 and a Gamecube. I also have a 360 controller for my PC.

Just depends on what games you want are on what system . Each Console has pros and cons . I have a PS3 and its great . But probably get a 360 down the track for the titles not available on PC or PS3 .

Write down a list of what you want out of the console and then decide .

Surely by now, if anything has been demonstrated comprehensively, it is the fact that there is really very little separating the two from a hardware standpoint. It comes down to software, software and software, as far as gaming goes.

Wow..Defensive much? I believe the context has only been reliability, and perhaps the BD drive. Although nfi which comment you're even referring to.

Graphically they're about equal, yes. First party PS3 games lately have been streaking ahead in graphics as far as I'm concerned, but no one knows how much of that is down to individual programming ability (and development time) within the studios making them.

Edited by xfu

Although nfi which comment you're even referring to.

In my opinon, Xbox 360 is dating (technologically speaking) very quickly.

It seems the PS3 has the superior tech and the free gaming service sounds enticing.

LTR. GTFO. BYOB. RSVP.

NKVD?

Edited by The End

Wow..Defensive much? I believe the context has only been --reliability--, and perhaps the BD drive.

^ no myth there.

LTR indeed. GTFO optional.

NKVD WTF?

Edited by xfu

Other than that, Bluray, price and online are the remaining consideration.

With bluray it has the ability to store more data for games. I don't see Xbox 360 clusters being used as supercomputers.

And even if you discount this, the difference between a Xbox Elite console and PS3 120GB is $50 and a bluray player. If you want to play pirated games then the xbox 360. I got a PS3 instead.

Edited by spaced

I don't see Xbox 360 clusters being used as supercomputers.

Why'd you go and do that.. :|

Supercomputer clusters don't really have anything to do with gaming or why you'd buy one machine and not another one.

I don't see Xbox 360 clusters being used as supercomputers.

Why'd you go and do that.. :|

Supercomputer clusters don't really have anything to do with gaming or why you'd buy one machine and not another one.

"The End" said that PS3 tech is the same as xbox 360. I was stating that the cell processor and bluray drive are way more advanced than what's in the xbox 360.

"The End" said that PS3 tech is the same as xbox 360. I was stating that the cell processor and bluray drive are way more advanced than what's in the xbox 360.

He stated that whatever hardware differences do exist are not apparent in actual results, which for the most part is true. I thought it sounded kinda defensive but it is basically true. Multiplatform games are all samey, and 90% of everything is all middle of the road anyway.

The only exception is that this year, some first party PS3 games have really gone way out ahead in nice looking visuals, in my opinion. But that's as much programming and technique as it is tech - with an unknown portion of which of the two takes the credit.

Pushing the point any other way is really only going fan flames that have already burned a thousand times too many.

LETS GET READY TO RUUUMBLE... Haha seems I have opened a can of worms. In my comment about tech it was more about the peripherals and scalability (PlayTV, Hard Drive and Blu Ray) as opposed to what had the better GPU.

I think I will have to base my decision on the games themselves and how they play on the different consoles - as this is the primary reason for getting a new console at the moment. But I still leaning towards the PS3 for its BR and PlayTV peripheral. LOL I might just have to get both!

Right now the PS3 is the better value buy. Multiplatform games tend to be superior on 360. If it's a strictly gaming related purchase then 360 but if you're going to use it as a media centre I'd say PS3.