neX

PS3 v 360

I would say that if you do all your gaming on the PC get a PS3 for the bluray and the exclusives, but if you want to use a console for your main gaming platform I'd go with a 360 due to higher quality cross platform games.

I was stating that the cell processor and bluray drive are way more advanced than what's in the xbox 360.

Not wanting to start a flame war but can you describe the superiority in the Cell processor, or do you need to use google.

I was stating that the cell processor and bluray drive are way more advanced than what's in the xbox 360.

Not wanting to start a flame war but can you describe the superiority in the Cell processor, or do you need to use google.

I'm sure we're adult enough to discuss this without an argument. After a quick google search I can't find any info to support my argument. Although I haven't learnt more so that's a good thing.

For OP

comparison: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/xbox360_ps3_wii.asp

the discussion here seems like a good wrap up on the programming side. So I guess it will depend how they program the cpu.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=758390

BTW the cell processor is being canned so will not be in the ps4. http://www.trustedreviews.com/cpu-memory/n...ll-Processor/p1

At the end of the day though if you've got a pc there is very few reasons to get a console. Bluray sold me on the ps3, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered with a console.

Edited by spaced

I don't see Xbox 360 clusters being used as supercomputers.

Sorry, this line bugs me.

i.e. http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertain...n-xbox-will-do-

The XBOX360 is based on the ATI Xenos, which is effectively the prototype of the R600 generation of ATI desktop cards. So, think 3xxx series GPUs. The Playstation 3 is based on the 'Reality Synthesiser', which, in typical Nvidia fashion, is just a renamed GeForce 7800 with bits chopped off. As a result, the XBOX360 uses later generation GPU architecture. This makes the platform useful for clusters which take advantage of GPGPU technology.

In addition, the XBOX 360 GPU allows for larger textures and anti-aliasing without a significant performance hit. A good example of this is the game review for Ghostbusters. The main issue here is the lack of VRAM.

On the other hand, the PS3 has the better CPU. This allows many processes to be offloaded onto separate cores, such as audio processing and physics. But IMO, Sony made a big mistake with their choice of GPU. It is a gaming machine, after all.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

On the other hand, the PS3 has the better CPU. This allows many processes to be offloaded onto separate cores, such as audio processing and physics. But IMO, Sony made a big mistake with their choice of GPU. It is a gaming machine, after all.

It has a different CPU. Not better.

Three proper cores versus one with a handful of "processing elements". The processing elements aren't fully fledged CPUs, unlike Xenos' cores.

Given how different these models are, it's practically impossible to get a meaningful comparison. A benchmark program written to employ the SPEs will perform poorly on Xenos, where one written to run on three traditional cores will perform poorly on Cell.

I don't see Xbox 360 clusters being used as supercomputers.

Sorry, this line bugs me.

i.e. http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertain...n-xbox-will-do-

The XBOX360 is based on the ATI Xenos, which is effectively the prototype of the R600 generation of ATI desktop cards. So, think 3xxx series GPUs. The Playstation 3 is based on the 'Reality Synthesiser', which, in typical Nvidia fashion, is just a renamed GeForce 7800 with bits chopped off. As a result, the XBOX360 uses later generation GPU architecture. This makes the platform useful for clusters which take advantage of GPGPU technology.

In addition, the XBOX 360 GPU allows for larger textures and anti-aliasing without a significant performance hit. A good example of this is the game review for Ghostbusters. The main issue here is the lack of VRAM.

These are my thoughts.

I think it's interesting how the philosophies of both Microsoft & Sony permeate their console design, Microsoft being a software company cultivating easier developer environments and Sony being an electronics company using unconventional hardware that requires abstract approaches.

When I hear about how one console is faster then the other, immediately I retract myself from that persons point of view, ultimately the price and the games determines the inherent value of a console, both consoles have good games and both consoles are reasonably priced.

PS3 has good exclusives, and I think that is an example of money being invested into R&D, the 360 has better ports, this because of it's familiar development nature.

You know what I hate, when people blame the developer for bad games on the PS3, but of course we don't blame Sony for forcing developers to re-work a port in a cumbersome way through paradigms that are still being discovered and refined. It costs alot of money to develop for the PS3 and studios work within a budget, both consoles have cons and pros, people should take the good with the bad.

One console is only better then the other when that console fits the needs of a person, which is different for everyone because of the diverse offering from both Sony & Microsoft.

I'm sure we're adult enough to discuss this without an argument. After a quick google search I can't find any info to support my argument. Although I haven't learnt more so that's a good thing.

Yeah that's cool, I like both consoles, I just get irked when hardware is brought up, I think it's really irrelevant when you want to play quality video games.

Edited by King_TriTAN

Yeah that's cool, I like both consoles, I just get irked when hardware is brought up, I think it's really irrelevant when you want to play quality video games.

If the games you're after are multi-platform, there really is no need to go with the Xbox. For $50 more you get bluray. Ever since I've watched the first one on my FHD plasma I've been sold on high def.

If the games you're after are multiplatform you're better off getting a 360 as it is widely accepted multi platform games are generally superior on 360.

If the games you're after are multiplatform you're better off getting a 360 as it is widely accepted multi platform games are generally superior on 360.

You still have to ask whether those minor differences are worth a dime compared with losing Bluray and all other considerations.

Honestly, do people enjoy games more on 360 than on PS3 due to some anti-aliasing and that kinda thing? Serious question.

If you don't care for BD or other features like that though then yeah, 360 for multi. Cheaper too.

You still have to ask whether those minor differences are worth a dime compared with losing Bluray and all other considerations.

Honestly, do people enjoy games more on 360 than on PS3 due to some anti-aliasing and that kinda thing? Serious question.

If you don't care for BD or other features like that though then yeah, 360 for multi. Cheaper too.

As I've already said in this thread the PS3 is the superior media machine. I personally don't get why people bust a nut over Bluray from a home media perspective when everything is going streaming and online though. Apart from personal taste with regards to the controller the 360 is better from a pure gaming perspective. I'm not saying the PS3 doesn't have some brilliant first party/exclusive games but multiplatform is where the bulk of great games are nowadays and it's been shown developers find it easier to make higher quality products on 360. Ofcourse this is all just my thoughts on the matter and I'm sure someone from the SDF will jump up and scream "LOLZ MGS4 AND KILLZONE 2 SLAY ALL XBOT!"

It totally depends on the need of the player, to some people BR will matter to some it won't, it varies game to game but there are many reasons to game on the 360: no need for mandatory installs, anti-aliasing, better texturing(cross-platform), thumbsticks designed for FPS, livelier online community.

I think that the difference between a 360 and ps3 can be $200.

PS3+1

Few things:

Mainly, the PS3 sits quite proudly in the lounge as a another piece of black hi-fi goodness, and is my BRD player still, (that also plays GTA4, GH3, GT5P, etc.).

Online gaming? I cannot understand how a paid service could ever be considered superior; and regardless, if I want to play multiplayer, (or any FPS in general), I jump on the PC.

This type of thread is always going create divisions and attract flamewars no doubt. Irrational statements have and will be made.

Really the only person's opinon that matters is the OP's.

It's rarely just 'some antialiasing'. More often it's smoother framerate, which most would agree is a worthy consideration.

I dont game much on our PS3, bought purposly as a media center, and as that it sure does shine. (trashed the pants of my C2D mac mini) in terms of picture quality and bang/buck ratio.

I have a few games for it, but hardly ever play them. The PlayTV add-on is gold, esp if you have a larger that 250gb drive in it.

If you get the old non-slim line ps3, it wont look out of place next to yer plasma/lcd big screen.

If your getting it for gaming, well than base your call on whatever system has the games that you wanna play.

Simple

Hardware wise, who gives a shit, its not like your going to open the box up and display whats in it, and you sure as shit aint gonna code for it, so that defeats any hardware speils that come up.

Get what you want, stuff the fanboi crap, its a loose-loose situation.

It's rarely just 'some antialiasing'. More often it's smoother framerate, which most would agree is a worthy consideration.

framerate is more important than graphics imho

I dont game much on our PS3, bought purposly as a media center, and as that it sure does shine. (trashed the pants of my C2D mac mini) in terms of picture quality and bang/buck ratio.

I have a few games for it, but hardly ever play them. The PlayTV add-on is gold, esp if you have a larger that 250gb drive in it.

If you get the old non-slim line ps3, it wont look out of place next to yer plasma/lcd big screen.

If your getting it for gaming, well than base your call on whatever system has the games that you wanna play.

Simple

Hardware wise, who gives a shit, its not like your going to open the box up and display whats in it, and you sure as shit aint gonna code for it, so that defeats any hardware speils that come up.

Get what you want, stuff the fanboi crap, its a loose-loose situation.

This is perfect advice.

I don't understand how people could dismiss owning a bluray player as something worth having in a day and age where most TV programs are broadcast at higher quality than DVD's. Unless you have some garbage old TV the picture difference is huge. The prices of blurays vs dvd's isn't even that huge anymore, I sure as hell wouldnt' buy a shitty DVD for the price.

Buying a stand alone bluray player however is still very hit and miss, I've been to a few friends places who have stand alone bluray players and yet to see one of them own a player that isn't shitful with huge load times every time you put the disc in. I'd say PS3 is definitely the best value for money bluray player, and tops a large percentage of them out there.

Now add to that PlayTV, and the media capabilities of the Xbox are pretty well garbage in comparison, all it can really do is stream your divx's from your computer.

Not bad when for $600 you can now get a PS3 with a 250gb HDD inbuilt, 3 games, and PlayTV in the box.

Personally I'm far happier having one device that can play games, music, divx, tv, music videos, blurays and dvd's under my TV than having a heap of crap as well as being able to have one remote for the functions of all of these devices, and it's so easy to use that my missus can happily use all of the functions with a pretty small learning curve.

I don't understand how people could dismiss owning a bluray player as something worth having in a day and age where most TV programs are broadcast at higher quality than DVD's. Unless you have some garbage old TV the picture difference is huge. The prices of blurays vs dvd's isn't even that huge anymore, I sure as hell wouldnt' buy a shitty DVD for the price.

Buying a stand alone bluray player however is still very hit and miss, I've been to a few friends places who have stand alone bluray players and yet to see one of them own a player that isn't shitful with huge load times every time you put the disc in. I'd say PS3 is definitely the best value for money bluray player, and tops a large percentage of them out there.

Now add to that PlayTV, and the media capabilities of the Xbox are pretty well garbage in comparison, all it can really do is stream your divx's from your computer.

Not bad when for $600 you can now get a PS3 with a 250gb HDD inbuilt, 3 games, and PlayTV in the box.

Personally I'm far happier having one device that can play games, music, divx, tv, music videos, blurays and dvd's under my TV than having a heap of crap as well as being able to have one remote for the functions of all of these devices, and it's so easy to use that my missus can happily use all of the functions with a pretty small learning curve.

SDF REP!!!!

Xbots r 4 n00bs

No one here is saying that blu-ray support is bad, everyone here is praising the PS3 for it's multimedia qualities, but the original poster wants to play games, see the difference there, he wants to play video-games, his arrangements are different from yours. He says he wants to play video games preferably on a modded console.

PS3's exclusives have been stellar this year, but the 360 has excellent exclusives aswell ie.

Mechwarrior 5

Splinter Cell: Conviction

Mass Effect 2

Alan Wake

Fable 3

Crackdown 2

Left 4 Dead 2

Shadow Complex

Gears Series

And cross platform games tend to run better on the 360, assassins creed 2 is a good example of this, better frame rates, less screen tearing, higher texture resolutions faster load times without mandatory installs.

If you have the money owning both consoles is good if your into gaming I reckon.

Edited by King_TriTAN