neX

PS3 v 360

Specifically I want to play games - not on a modded console. A bit of future proofing always helps (hence the BR discussion) which went in a tangent as to what hardware is better. I am purely looking for the best gaming console and the longest possible life. The modding comes after the unit is End of Life - not before.

Specifically I want to play games - not on a modded console. A bit of future proofing always helps (hence the BR discussion) which went in a tangent as to what hardware is better. I am purely looking for the best gaming console and the longest possible life. The modding comes after the unit is End of Life - not before.

They're both great consoles, blu-ray is stellar and it's something I would definitely consider if you want to start building a library for it.

There are great exclusives on both consoles but Microsoft tends to publish its content on the PC aswell, so if you have a decent computer I think the PS3 is a good choice; don't believe the detractors about the 360, it's as good if not better then the PS3 when it comes to gaming.

Here's something to ease the tension.

http://boards.ign.com/teh_vestibule/b5296/174936796/p1/?144

Edited by King_TriTAN

You'll only get a few years out of either console, theyre both looking pretty dated now, so whichever you pick, 2-3 years from now there'll be something better anyway.

Neither will lost support, look at the PS2, its been out for 10 years nearly and theres still games being released on it.

It's clear that the OP wants to use the machine for more than just gaming, especially as it reaches the end of its "generation" life-cycle and is overtaken by the next-gen shiny.

As it stands, and as far as I can see for the future, PS3 is and will continue to be the better all-rounder machine over the 360. I've been able to compare the two machines for media streaming (PS3 > 360); web-browsing (PS3); certain free online services (PS3 > 360); noise (PS3 > 360); media handling (PS3 > 360) etc. etc. With PlayTV you now have PVR functionality and the thing's a pretty decent BRD player. In fact the only thing the 360's better at is games.

Why better? Faster loading, cheaper, better online, better controller. But it's louder, not as good-looking and less versatile.

Me, I'll be getting a 360 when the time - and price - is right. I'd recommend a PS3 for the OP.

If you're really into sports games, then check out which system has the ones that you want to play and get that. But also take note of what other people you know have, as it can help with swapping/testing games or multiplayer games.

Do you intend to play/stream any HD content using the console? If not, then the Xbox Classic will keep you going till something happens with the 360. And as it seems like you have no issue with modding your system, at least at a later stage. Given what's been happening lately on the 360 modding scene, i'd say that would be your best choice. To my knowledge there isn't anything in the pipeline for PS3, at this stage anyway.

Also are you going to play online? And if so are you prepared to pay ~$55/yr for Xbox LIVE.

Seeing as you don't seem to be overly interested Bluray, unless you want a better media player out of the box (i haven't used it, just general consensus) then PS3 might be it.

But if your primary concern is gaming, see which system has the games you want.

In short:

Which console has the games you want? For you to determine

People you know to test/swap/play games? For you to determine

Online play/willing pay? For you to determine

Playing HD content?

Media centre?

Ability to mod in the future? 360 (for now)

Note: This is just my opinion.

I don't understand why people buy gaming consoles for media etc. It is a GAMING console. Wouldn't you by a HTPC or similar for media.

When buying a gaming console, to me, the first thing I'd be looking at it which one has better games etc. Not which one plays movies better.

/end OT

If they were a gaming console only and not a media player at all they should both be half The price. If you are paying for a media player anywya you might as well make sure you get the better option.

I'd like to see you justify a htpc over what a current gen gaming console can do. Why would you pay for two devices that can do the same thing?

If they were a gaming console only and not a media player at all they should both be half The price. If you are paying for a media player anywya you might as well make sure you get the better option.

I'd like to see you justify a htpc over what a current gen gaming console can do. Why would you pay for two devices that can do the same thing?

damn straight, i had a htpc under the tv up until a couple of days ago... it just didnt get used because the ps3 is so much better for it.

I heard from an analyst that the 360 may get a redesign next year with an integrated natal camera, maybe you might want to wait a little if you wanted to get a 360.

Are there any online sources for that? Sounds like an odd thing to do.

In fact the only thing the 360's better at is games.

Why better? Faster loading, cheaper, better online, better controller. But it's louder, not as good-looking and less versatile.

I'd agree with you, I think the 360 is superior in terms of gaming and the PS3 is superior in terms of multimedia.

I heard from an analyst that the 360 may get a redesign next year with an integrated natal camera, maybe you might want to wait a little if you wanted to get a 360.

Are there any online sources for that? Sounds like an odd thing to do.

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/bonusround/311?ch=1

I believe they talk about the redesign somewhere in the middle.

I heard Peter Monolux is working on a Natal title, I was hoping this had something to do with Fable 3 launching with project natal, that is certainly an awesome prospect.

Edited by King_TriTAN

I reckon there is no VS.. Should be about what you want and what works for you.

I play on PS3 because it does what I want but that is really the point, up to you :)

I think the whole controller argument of bla controller is better is possibly the stupidest you hear in console arguments as it is the most personal preference part of the whole experience. Personally I prefer the ps3 controller and can't stand the left thumb stick on the xbox controller being in the wrong position, and the majority of my friends agree. Doesn't meant everyone prefers the ps3 controller though.

As for choosing the console, if games are the most important, look at which titles you want are available on both, if no differences, see which controller you prefer in your hand, if no difference again, see what the games you like look like on both, and finally if you are stuck on your choice, you have two real things to look at, which will do more for you over all (and the ps3 definitely leads here) and is that worth the price difference between them (remember the price difference shrinks when you account for paying to play online).

how the fuck are you going too integrate a camera into the build of a console considering the 50 billion ways the console could be sitting in someones setup.

how the fuck are you going too integrate a camera into the build of a console considering the 50 billion ways the console could be sitting in someones setup.

Lets just hope the SDF doesn't get hold of this one eh?

Sorry, I must correct myself. The controller is the second stupidest thing to argue. The absolute stupidest part of any console thread are the fanboys who think they are anti fanboys. As soon as anyone shows preference to their non preferred console they will accuse them of being a fanboy yet refuse to add anything constructive to the argument.

In all seriousness, the days of single-consoledom must surely be coming to and end soon. Maybe the prices need to fall a little further still.

There are exclusives on both PS3/360 that make it completely worthwhile getting both, at least eventually. I would probably be seriously feeling the need for a 360 at home if I didn't have one to use at work from time to time, but that gets me by. The controller ain't my bag but I do love a bit of Halo.

I say don't even choose, if it is in fact gaming first and foremost that has you interested.

Also I think it's crazy to write the PS3 off as a machine that's only worth getting if your into watching videos. The games that came out this year have fucking rocked.

I would probably be seriously feeling the need for a 360 at home if I didn't have one to use at work from time to time, but that gets me by.

Where do you work? Sounds like a magical place.

In terms of controller ergonomics it's personal preference, but the thumb sticks on the 360 controller are more precise when adjusting a cursor, conversely the D-Pad on the PS3 is heads above the D-Pad on the 360 which is so clunky and inaccurate that you avoid using it all together.

Edited by King_TriTAN

At a creative agency where we build a lot of Flash games and content related to upcoming console game releases. Having a PS3/360 at work is actually really good reference.

Plus we bust out the good stuff whenever something new and good releases.

In terms of controller ergonomics it's personal preference, but the thumb sticks on the 360 controller are more precise when adjusting a cursor, conversely the D-Pad on the PS3 is heads above the D-Pad on the 360 which is so clunky and inaccurate that you avoid using it all together.

Actually, yeah. As good as the 360 controller is, the D-pad as absolute rubbish. :--[

Actually, yeah. As good as the 360 controller is, the D-pad as absolute rubbish. :--[

I don't understand how they got the controller feeling oh so good, but the D-Pad oh so wrong.

Well everyone has a personal preference on what they feel when using the D-pad (I reckon) Some people prefer the Playstation layout and others prefer the Xbox layout so you really can't create an argument on that.

Well everyone has a personal preference on what they feel when using the D-pad (I reckon) Some people prefer the Playstation layout and others prefer the Xbox layout so you really can't create an argument on that.

Just to be clear, we're talking specifically about the D-Pad here, not the whole controller. I don't think any rational person would say the 360's D-Pad holds a candle to practically any other D-Pad out there. Hell, the NES probably had a better D-Pad.

I agree that opinions vary on DualShock vs. XBox Controller. But AFAIK there is universal consensus that the 360's D-Pad sucks.

Just to be clear, we're talking specifically about the D-Pad here, not the whole controller. I don't think any rational person would say the 360's D-Pad holds a candle to practically any other D-Pad out there. Hell, the NES probably had a better D-Pad.

I agree that opinions vary on DualShock vs. XBox Controller. But AFAIK there is universal consensus that the 360's D-Pad sucks.

Well in that case I can say fair enough I do think the DualShock is easy to use as the D-pad because sometimes using the 360 controller when using the keyboard can be a little frustrating at times but keeping in mind thats my hands and just the way I see it.