neX

PS3 v 360

Well everyone has a personal preference on what they feel when using the D-pad (I reckon) Some people prefer the Playstation layout and others prefer the Xbox layout so you really can't create an argument on that.

Just to be clear, we're talking specifically about the D-Pad here, not the whole controller. I don't think any rational person would say the 360's D-Pad holds a candle to practically any other D-Pad out there. Hell, the NES probably had a better D-Pad.

I agree that opinions vary on DualShock vs. XBox Controller. But AFAIK there is universal consensus that the 360's D-Pad sucks.

Well in that case I can say fair enough I do think the DualShock is easy to use as the D-pad because sometimes using the 360 controller when using the keyboard can be a little frustrating at times but keeping in mind thats my hands and just the way I see it.

Me fail english, that's unpossible.

I don't think I've used a D-Pad since my SNES. What's the advantage over analogue?

Precision.

Especially for things like fighters, where you need to hit individual directions quickly and accurately.

Edited by SquallStrife

I need to use the D-Pad for Fighters

I am silly sometimes but when you phrased Fighters aka with Dpad, now its clear to me :P

It's pretty clear you have no idea what "aka" means, index. Please stop using it.

aka.

I do.

Its like when you say that chick has big jugs aka big tits.

:)

Ahh fair enough. I don't play fighters, so I guess that's why!

It's pretty clear you have no idea what "aka" means, index. Please stop using it.

aka.

I do.

Its like when you say that chick has big jugs aka big tits.

:)

What does 'aka' stand for?

How are fighters "also known as" dpads index?

no no

I meant like.

When he mentioned D-Pad and said he uses it for fighters I thought to myself, ah okay now I fully know what your using the Dpad for.

Like the arrows on the controller and I thought D-Pad was analog sticks so yeah had a blond moment and yes I know, must be painful to see me finally get what D pad is for.

Edited by index680i

'aka' is the acronym for Also Known As. There's no two ways about it. You used it incorrectly.

Anyway, let's get back on topic.

I just tried my D-Pad on the Xbox 360 controller. Yeh, it's not too good. It's almost analogue in nature!

If you look back at all the threads on atomic with this exact thread title, they're all just as long, and just as nonsensical.

Edited by xfu

'aka' is the acronym for Also Known As. There's no two ways about it. You used it incorrectly.

Anyway, let's get back on topic.

I just tried my D-Pad on the Xbox 360 controller. Yeh, it's not too good. It's almost analogue in nature!

lol they are shit. It's like they are put on for decoration, because you sure as hell can't use them :P

I think the OP has answered his own quesion with his requirement for mod-ability.

PS3s cannot be modded yet so it's 360 for him.

If he wants to drop that requirement it's a different story.

Having a job and owning all 3 consoles I can say I definitely prefer the PS3 for 3 reasons.

1. More exclusives I want: For me Gran Turismo and Metal Gear are the franchises I have to have. Gears of War and Halo were good but I actually prefer the easier FPS thrills of Uncharted more as I can normally only get 2-5 hours in a week and need my games to be more 'casual'.

2. Media capabilities: Even disregarding blu-ray PS3 has this hands down. Add blu-ray and you have a great home entertainment system. Not to mention Play TV is also a great alternative to getting a dedicated HD PVR. Additionally streaming to the PS3 is easy with PS3 Media Server. In fact I had trouble getting my XBox connected to my PC until I ran PS3MS. I can't understand why.

3. The store: I prefer the PS Store over Game Marketplace for both usability and the fact that it doesn't use that stupid points system. GM does however have much more content and just about everything alows a demo download which is a plus.

4. User freindliness: XMB is so much better than the dashboard. Changing settings and getting to your games or movies is easy and inserting media like thumbdrives is just simple.

5. Upgrading HDDs. Just ridiculous system for 360. PS3 is sh!tful if you need to do a backup and restore but absolutely painless otherwise.

Now don't get me wrong, the 360 is great especially if you want to play online but for sociopaths like me It's the PS3.

Or you could just buy both?

I am now a 360 owner. The JB offer was too good to pass up ($399 Elite with 4 games) plus traded in some Wii games and had some JB vouchers from the Birthday and Christmas. I picked up FIFA 10 as well.

Thanks for all the opinions - the PS3 is still on my wish list but was a little out of my price range. Will one day have it too.

I am now a 360 owner. The JB offer was too good to pass up ($399 Elite with 4 games) plus traded in some Wii games and had some JB vouchers from the Birthday and Christmas. I picked up FIFA 10 as well.

Thanks for all the opinions - the PS3 is still on my wish list but was a little out of my price range. Will one day have it too.

Good choice, some excellent exclusives are coming out early next year, two to look out for in January both Serious Sam HD and Mass Effect 2, very good titles. In the meanwhile there are to many multi-platform games to enjoy now like the excellent Assassins Creed 2 which runs ever so well.

And I believe you can pick up Shadow Complex for 800 points for a limited time.

Yeah the pack included Lego Batman, Pure, Assassins Creed and Saints Row. I will give AC a go but the other games I could do without.

Will see if I can get AC2 - if the missus lets me :p And will look at the specials on the Marketplace as well.

I also hooked up the Media Center with my Win7 Ultimate and have tested playback - not bad at all. Once I have an HDMI cable I might tend to use this as the primary instead of the old XBX. Any idea what an original XBX (modded/chipped) would go for?

Note: This is just my opinion.

I don't understand why people buy gaming consoles for media etc. It is a GAMING console. Wouldn't you by a HTPC or similar for media.

When buying a gaming console, to me, the first thing I'd be looking at it which one has better games etc. Not which one plays movies better.

You let the name you've decided to call it dictate what you're going to do with it?

So... if I call the PS3 a home media system... you'll stop playing games on it?

Note: This is just my opinion.

I don't understand why people buy gaming consoles for media etc. It is a GAMING console. Wouldn't you by a HTPC or similar for media.

When buying a gaming console, to me, the first thing I'd be looking at it which one has better games etc. Not which one plays movies better.

You let the name you've decided to call it dictate what you're going to do with it?

So... if I call the PS3 a home media system... you'll stop playing games on it?

Don't confuse him Tantryl

The gaming experience on the 360 was the clincher in my decision. The media capabilities are a value add.

Yeah the pack included Lego Batman, Pure, Assassins Creed and Saints Row. I will give AC a go but the other games I could do without.

You might be able to trade them all in for a single good game,

If you have an ebay account you can get games relatively cheap overseas.

Assasins Creed 2

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/XBOX-360-ASSASSINS-...=item5d2778b33f

Batman Arkham Asylum <- My favorite game of the year

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/XBOX-360-BATMAN-ARK...=item2eaa1a0726

Red Faction Guerrilla

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/209A-XBox-360-Red-F...=item41491ecfee

I've also seen Gears of War 2 limited edition for about 50 bucks at JB and Forza 3 is a great racer from what I know of Forza 2.