Kimmo

DIAF, malware writers

Currently posting from my laptop while my main PC is 1% the way through an interminable boot-time scan...

Pretty cheesed off that Avast and ZoneAlarm haven't managed to do their job.

I haven't run anything flagged as dodgy, or that obviously might've been dodgy... WTF.

How the hell am I meant to avoid this sort of crap? What more can I do?

Don't use the Internet. Don't connect your PC to any external storage devices. That should do the trick!

On a more serious note, it's impossible to stop all malware from getting to your PC. Try installing Spybot S&D when you get it fixed, its immunisation feature is pretty good.

Malware writers are people too. Its not there fault. Maybe try using a decent AV.

It does depend on the sites you visit and the e-mail you attract.

One idea might be to use a virtual PC for your web browsing. Don't save any changes to the image when you're finished, then when you start again you are starting with a clean system - every time.

Might help.

Time to reinstall Windows anyway...

Malware writers are people too. Its not there fault. Maybe try using a decent AV.

No they're not; they're filth.

Why go to the effort of writing shit that just wastes everybody's time and computing grunt running bloody AV stuff?

Thanks for the VM tip, Mac... been meaning to give that a crack for ages.

Is there some definition of malware I'm unaware of?

What does your malware do?

Edited by Kimmo

No they're not; they're filth.

you have my vote there kimmo

Lol.

"Murders are people too. It's not their fault. Maybe try using a decent clothes, with kevlar in them"

Guess Im filth then.

If you've released it, absolutely. Thankfully I'd guess that all you've done is write some cruddy code in VB.NET Express and then beamed with pride.

Rob.

Edited by robzy

Yeah Avira is very good if you want a free solution. Even if you dont like norton 2010 which is very nice you could try kaspersky too you can pick up single liecense versions of these for $30 for year subscription which is well worth it. Kaspersky also has a sandbox mode which is very cool

I focus alot of energy on botting, RATs and keyloggers and addons for web browsers really just things I like to play around with also had some fun with storm and fake AV scanners. Im sure alot of programmers have experimented with this kind of stuff before so its nothing new and nothing to hate. Its the people that make money from it that are the problem.

Regardless I'm interested in helping fix Kimmo's problem if possible.

I focus alot of energy on botting, RATs and keyloggers and addons for web browsers really just things I like to play around with also had some fun with storm and fake AV scanners. Im sure alot of programmers have experimented with this kind of stuff before so its nothing new and nothing to hate. Its the people that make money from it that are the problem.

Ah, so you haven't released anything in to the wild?

Rob.

Really depends on how my stuff is used to be honest it could be malicious but really only used it for work and to prove a point. I was abit nasty when I was younger but the law caught up and I had some choices to make. True Malware dev's are scum but regardless I enjoy picking apart vulnerabilities in programs and OS's and learning how things work and thats what I get out of it.

Edit: Yeah I have released some stuff into the wild but nothing that would cause a machine not to boot up or somone to lose valuable data there are lines I don't cross.

Edited by mudg3

Edit: Yeah I have released some stuff into the wild but nothing that would cause a machine not to boot up or somone to lose valuable data there are lines I don't cross.

In that case, to answer your previous question, yes you are filth.

Rob.

Okay Rob your opinion is your opinion and that's fine. I wouldn't expect some of you to understand anyway.

I wouldn't expect some of you to understand anyway.

Lol, just the type of thing I'd expect to hear coming from Mark David Chapman :P

Anyways, I remember spending ages scanning IP addresses looking for NetBIOS, and using psexec to install trojans - with my own code floating about in there too, and having a small (ultimately useless) botnet,

But notice the past tense? I am no longer filth.

Rob.

Heh, Avast has been throwing up a tonne of false positives on my brothers machine today. Swap it with Avira, or, if you're willing to spend money, Norton.

Fucken shit... I let that dumbarse thing delete a whole bunch of files, including Painkiller Overdose : (

AV with false positive = malware, dammit

Murders are people too.

A bunch of crows qualifies as a person now?

Yeah I was never really a fan of boot scans or avast though it has saved me big time before.

But notice the past tense? I am no longer filth.

Rob.

Calling the kettle black much pot?

So, because I used to do stupid shit I can point out when others do stupid shit? :P

Murders are people too.

A bunch of crows qualifies as a person now?

I don't know what's been wrong with me lately...

Rob.