Kimmo

DIAF, malware writers

Heh, Avast has been throwing up a tonne of false positives on my brothers machine today. Swap it with Avira, or, if you're willing to spend money, Norton.

Fucken shit... I let that dumbarse thing delete a whole bunch of files, including Painkiller Overdose : (

AV with false positive = malware, dammit

I haven't had any false alarms from avast.

Maybe my PC needs to get out more :)

One of the most important things you can do it to keep flash and adobe reader updated, as many(if not most) exploits use this software as their avenue of attack. Ideally, you could use something like noscript with a whitelist of sites you trust.

You can't be sure of staying clean just by sticking to trustworthy sites these days, as ads are also a major avenue of attack.

I've got Adblocker and Noscript going on, but endless Adobe updates shit me to tears, so I often tell it to get fucked via Avast ZoneAlarm...

Hm.

Edited by Kimmo

If you were otherwise prudent, then I would wager that is how it happened.

If you don't mind a lack of proper unicode and form support you can switch to a different PDF reader such as foxit, although you're stuck with Adobe's flashplayer for flash.

Flashblocker can also be a good thing to have.

Following that make sure to run as a limited user as opposed to a privileged user if possible.

Here is an article you may find interesting: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/conte...57032795489.htm

Edited by willm

I was using Foxit, but it was a bit annoying without the browser integration.

Flashblocker rocks; it's the first addon I install after Foxmarks. So obvious I forgot to mention it.

As for the false positive factor, the night before I got all the virus warnings, Firefox kept locking up and was using 50% CPU (dual-core), so I was pretty sure something untoward was going on... oddly enough my machine completely crashed while I was watching a movie, which actually kept playing in KMPlayer despite the progress bar getting stuck when I checked it and the fullscreen controls remaining visible... weird. Nice not to have to restart to finish watching the flick.

I tried using a non-administrator account ages ago, but CBF with the hassle; not being able to install apps and stuff without logging out was a major pain in the arse... I don't suppose there's a happy medium?

Nice bit of irony in that article... More than a dozen sites, including those of The New York Times, USA Today, and Nature, have been infected with fake ads that exploit Adobe software. In the case of the Times, if Web surfers clicked on an ad for antivirus software, malicious code would take control of their computers through Flash and direct them to a site infested with malware.

Heh... irony much? That's what you get for clicking on ads.

Malware writers are people too. Its not there fault. Maybe try using a decent AV.

Yes, they are people - people who should be shot.

I tried using a non-administrator account ages ago, but CBF with the hassle; not being able to install apps and stuff without logging out was a major pain in the arse... I don't suppose there's a happy medium?

Perhaps use a power user account, and get to love UAC?

Otherwise just keep your adobe software updated as much as possible in line with other good security practices.

Main box running XP, UAC got the bullet it deserves on my lappy.

There's no way to love that shit.

VM seems like the go...