Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
nesquick

Sick and tired of these bloody ebay scammers

I just started using ebay and already I am fucking pissed off with it, trying to sell my laptop here failed (had a buyer who made me wait a few weeks till he got the money then he sees one that had a slightly better processor and hdd so drops mine for it kinda understandable but still don't commit to a sale if you have no intentions of buying something) anyway I put the laptop up for sale for $700 starting bid and $1200 instant, a few hours later someone buys it for the instant. I then get an email from Ebay saying this persons account has been used without their authority and suspended, so I was pretty pissed off with that but re listed it after calming down. Then the same thing happened I felt like sending them a email saying "bloody hell ebay how many people are using phished accounts? almost like you couldn't organise a root in a brothel". Although the second one proceeded a little further, the buyer was posing as an American from west Virginia with 91+ feedback points, if it was legit I would of been cool with it as long as we used paypal because $1250US (instant price) = ~$1370AUS.

I then got an email from the scammer this morning who has just failed miserably with the scam:

Thanks for the prompt response,

Regarding postage, I want to purchase these Item for a friend oversea as a gift,He works with the America refineries Industries there in West Africa Due to my workload, i might not be checking my mails often.So i will be offering AU $1,350. I want the item posted to him in Nigeria Via Australia Express Courier International (EMS) Delivery Hope the package will get to him in good condition? ..What is the present condition of this item? does it comes in it's original box and full accessories?

Regarding payment, I will be paying you for the item via Bank Deposit,

Name On Account:

Account Number:

Bsb Number:

so get back to me with the following Banking details where payment will be deposited to.

MANY THANKS.

Hmm an American wrote that? sounds like someone who cannot speak english very well wrote it...

I just laughed and proceeded to block that email, I guess I will try 1 last time to sell the laptop or bring it back here cheaper.

anyone else got some funny scammer stories?

Looked like a typical American written letter to me, full of spelling errors, grammatical mistakes and a reference to conquered territories.

But seriously tho, where is the middle class American man going to get a laptop for his Nigerian buddy now? Shame on you!

I still sell a little bit of stuff on ebay. I also don't accept bids from overseas buyers, among other conditions.

Haven't had any real issues for a while..

Edited by iain671

The poor president of Nigeria has to cover up his true identity Nes because of a nasty email scam that made people not trust him any more.

Just restrict your auction to A/NZ. 95% of scammers eliminated right there.

You obviously haven't read the Terms and Conditions of using eBay, have you?

The bidding is a Contract - if you let your first winner off the deal without a "Sorry, You Bid, You Won, Pay Up or Else" then you lost out, you Silly Man. :]

The US bloke - easy. Tell him because he wants alternate overseas delivery address that wasn't discussed before the auction closed then Full Payment Up Front Via PayPal Only, with additional (ridiculously high) Registered and Insured Freight. Else Delivery Only to his registered eBay address. He tries to squawk and bullshit you about it, refer above.

And get on eBay to complain to them, I've had a couple of hassles earlier this year with some Australian Sellers and they actually seemed to be of help (one Seller ended up getting canned off eBay, even with quite a few positive Feedbacks). Unlike a few years ago where they just didn't/couldn't give a shit...

Anything too good to be true on ebay is. If it seems like a great bargain, its fake or will never turn up.

Only buy from reputable buyers.

Ebay don't give a shit about the sellers or the buyers. They only care about the money they make from each sale.

I've had one or two problems with Ebay over the years, but yeah, the saying 'too good to be true probably is' holds here.

pay with credit cards, paypal, or to a personal australian bank account. these options can be tracked and some are reversible. that door swings both ways, too.

NEVER pay for anything outside ebay with western union or the like. if you are buying form overseas; paypal, paypal, paypal. paypal will insure you against loss if you buy on ebay properly, and pay with paypal.

It's though selling online regardless. When I use Gumtree I get a lot of emails such as the one you posted. I usually reply saying that I will be happy to ship it to Nigeria for another $1kAU. And then they'll reply with "Paying you $2300 is no problem but you still need to give me your PayPal details etc".

Refer comments above about eBay only giving a shit about making money.

Another thing - Paypal is getting worse.

I've done 2 purchases in the last month. Took about 4 and a half working days for funds to finally land in my account.

Utter joke given that the funds became unavailable to my bank a/c less than 2 working days after I started the transaction.

Obviously they're witholding the money - probably making a cool couple of million a week on the short-term money market by delaying transactions by an unnecessary extra day or two.

Refer comments above about eBay only giving a shit about making money.

Another thing - Paypal is getting worse.

I've done 2 purchases in the last month. Took about 4 and a half working days for funds to finally land in my account.

Utter joke given that the funds became unavailable to my bank a/c less than 2 working days after I started the transaction.

Obviously they're witholding the money - probably making a cool couple of million a week on the short-term money market by delaying transactions by an unnecessary extra day or two.

That's what one of my old employers did with our super contributions at one stage. Paid the super later as possible.

I've had people who want me to send my car that is for sale, to Nigeria. Get real.

I've had people who want me to send my car that is for sale, to Nigeria. Get real.

Yep, if the weird-shit-o-meter is going off, avoid.

Anything too good to be true on ebay is. If it seems like a great bargain, its fake or will never turn up.

Only buy from reputable buyers.

Ebay don't give a shit about the sellers or the buyers. They only care about the money they make from each sale.

I've gotten some great stuff of there that would usually seem that way.

Merlin its a scam I won't get any money from them.

Go back to what you posted about the first transaction, or did they also want you to post it to Nigeria?...

And you mightn't get any money out of them but at least if you complained you might get eBay to close that +90 Feedback Buyer down if you show them it's a scam, eh?

I too had shit like that happen, only when I had a "buy it now" on a large ticket item, also a laptop.

Three times in the same item before I listed it without the buy it now, then it was sweet.