Sign in to follow this  
anndy

Finding a new company for my phone line

So before I say anything, apologies in advance if this is in the wrong spot, and move it if need be. :)

But anyway, A few people might know already from the bigpond thread in the networking forum, and that I'm not really that happy with them :(

Mum and I have agreed to change to TPG next January, which is when my contract ends. The thing is, apparently the line rental costs from telstra are upto I think 40-50 dollars, the lady on the phone said.

Mum wants a cheaper company for line rental.. So who are you guys with? And is 40-50 dollars an average price now for line rental?

TPG are good if you want heaps of quota, very little support, and so-so reliability. Internode are good if you want heaps of support, heaps of reliability, and a decent amount of quota.

Yeah, I was debating network & security or not. But anyway, yeah I have a couple of mates on TPG and the quality is alright, though they do get the occasional shits.

Though, I'm more interested in peoples phone lines, for the home phone. I'm pretty much set on TPG right now, and I might take a look at Internode.

Also, is that 4 port wireless modem from the TPG site any good? It's the RTA1025W I think, manufactured by Dynalink

I may not be completely right here:

But i have my line rental through telstra and my ADSL through another provider. Im on the "basic" line rental with no included calls and thats about $20 a month.

You can leave your line with them and take your ADSL to TPG. They might be able to offer you a cheaper deal, but i suppose it depends on how much you use the home phone.

I don't actually know how VOIP works :S

EDIT: hey guys, any stories about iprimus? D'you think they're good or bad? 'Cos their plans are pretty good, home phone is $30ish a month, and their plans compete with TPG. Which can be seen here - http://www.iprimus.com.au/PrimusWeb/HomeSo...adbandInternet/

Sooooo, if I get some positive feedback about iprimus, then iprimus here we come! :P

Edited by anndy

Line rental depends on the package you have, Telstra's goes as low as $21.00 month for Homeline budget up to $90.00 a month for Homeline Complete.

http://www.telstra.com.au/homephone/plans/...der_a_plan.html

So you need to work out your phone call costs as call costs vary from plan to plan.

At $50.00 a month you are on Homeline Reach so free local calls and $1.00 capped STD calls. So if you make a lot of long STD calls and a lot of local calls it is worth it.

If you chose Homeline budget you pay a lot more per call.

Also note that Telstra say you cannot use HLB if you have internet with another provider but if you go HLB then just churn to another internet providor Telstra retail is not supposed to know about it, and if they do you have a legit complaint to the ACCC. Retail and wholesale are not supposed to swap customer information to that extent.

Search Whirlpool for more on this and about VOIP as well.

For Iprimus I wouldn't use them personally as I loathe the whole peak/off peak thing. Be aware that if you use all your peak before the month is out you will be shaped on both peak and offpeak even if you have all your offpeak left, and vice versa.

Their coverage checker will tell you what plans are available to you which depends on the exchange equipment. EG for me I can only get 1500/256 plans as Iprimus to do not have a DSLAM in my exchange. Same goes for other ISPS. If you want cheap large data plans your exchange must have one of their DSLAMS installed.

Go to http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/ and pop in your phone number it will tell you what providers are at the exchange.

EG for me

Provider Status Estimate Available Now

Telstra ADSL1 Active Yes

Telstra ADSL2+ Active Yes

Which means Telstra is the only one with a DSLAM in the exchange so I am restricted to Telstra resold plans.

Cool, well on adsl2exchange, it says I'm at the bottom of a street with a red heatmap thingy. Plus I seem to be able to connect with any provider:

Provider Status Estimate Available Now

TPG Active Yes

Chime (Iinet) Active Yes

Telstra ADSL1 Active Yes

Optus No Ports - Unable to Expand No

Primus Active Yes

Telstra ADSL2+ Active Yes

I don't really mind offpeak/onpeak. Either way, they are both pretty even (51/50) and on both occasions, will be higher than my total quota now (12gigs no onpeak/offpeak) so it's still pretty win for me. How about iprimus' home phone service? Have you had any expeerience? I'd be getting the 101gig plan for $50 if I used their home phone.

Plus, would going through the whole churning process prolong the installing of iprimus' internet?

and thank you aliali for such a comprehensive post (not that anyone elses wasn't helpful :P)

Also, does it seem that the ADSL2EXCHANGE site is a bit out dated? Since the plans I saw on the iprimus site haven't been changed on the adsl2exch. site.

and now that i think about it, if i were to use HLB phone plan with telstra.. And used iprimus paying $60, the cost would be the same for the same service, barring the iprimus home phone line. Would this be a better choice? (pretty much, are telstra phone lines better than iprimus?)

Oh, and one more thing, is it true that iprimus are running off Optus cables/phonlines?

another thing is, on the ADSL2exchange site, I did one of those stats shower things, and this came up, in relation to my distance from the exchange:

Line of Sight: 827 m

Estimated Cable: 1323 m

Estimated Attenuation: 19

Estimated Maximum Speed: 18666

What is attenuation? and how do I work out the maximum speed in terms of kb/s or mb/s?

Edited by anndy

Yes http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/ tends to be rather outdated this is why you need to check with each ISPs coverage checker for what plans are available from your exchange.

http://www.iprimus.com.au/PrimusWeb/HomeSo...adbandInternet/

Put your number in on the right where it says Can I Get Broadband?. An ISPs coverage checker takes precedence over any third party site.

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/ can also give you an idea of what is available as it is generally more up to date than ADSL2exchanges, plus you can filter by ISP, price etc.

http://whirlpool.net.au/survey/2008/

may also be of interest to you especially the Would you recommend your current ISP to other people? responses as I reckon this shows how people really feel about their ISP.

Never used Iprimus for anything so again Whirlpool, in particular

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/108 is where to look.

Iprimus like Optus (and everyone else in the vast majority of cases) lease the phonelines off Telstra so there is no difference in phone line quality per se. One reason I stay with Telstra for phone is that if I have a voice fault I can get straight on to them to fix it. Whereas with another voice carrier you contact them then they contact Telstra for repairs.

In simple terms attenuation is how much the signal is attenuated (reduced) from travelling over the copper. The longer the distance the bigger the attenuation and the slower you will connect.

Think of it like friction loss in a water pipe, if that makes sense. The longer the pipe the less comes out the end.

Or as mentioned in the below link how sound dissipates over distance.

More here

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=ADSL_Theory_Attenuation

Approximations of line length to speed can be seen here

http://www.internode.on.net/residential/br...me/performance/

18666 kbit/s (18.66 Mbit/s) is the speed you may possibly sync at if the estimator is right about the line length (not always accurate) and your phone line is in good condition. The only way to find out for sure what you can get is to actually sign up and connect.

Given various overheads etc this actually equates to about 18 Megabytes a second.

Download speeds are also affected by backhaul congestion (too many people sucking at the pipe at once). This tends to be a major issue with off peak plans and the ultra budget ISPs (DODO, Supernerd etc). They only purchase just enough backhaul to cover average use and any bump in use causes major network congestion (network traffic jam).

The more expensive ISPs leave some room in their backhaul bandwidth purchases where possible.

Offpeak is notorious for backhaul congestion as all the leechers cue up their torrent/usenet/other downloads to kick in 1 minute in to offpeak time.

Note that ADSL is a best effort service and speeds depend on so many factors you may not get anywhere near this speed, all you can do is suck it and see.

This is why I would not sign up for a long term contract. if it sucks bigtime you can disconnect without penalty.

Well, on the survey site, it says that iprimus customers are generally happier than those on TPG. So I guess I'll give it a swing. However the contract IS for 24 months, as was this telstra one. So I guess I can stick it out :S. Though there aren't many people willing to recommend it to other people..

I just hoped I guess, that optus had their own set of phone lines and that iprimus ran off them, so I'd totally be away from telstra hehe :D. But I guess, with you saying that at least with telstra manning all the lines then the quality of telephony would be the same with all if not most of the companies so that's a good thing.

And yeah, you explained attenuation pretty well thanks :) Also, is it the lower the attenuation the better?

Though, seriously, 18 megabytes? I'm sorta in disbelief lol. I assumed it would be around 1.8 megabytes per second. Or are you going off the whole megabits megabytes thing? Like, a 30mb youtube video taking 2-3 seconds to finish downloading?

Yeah, I'm aware that there are lots of factors affecting the speed of ADSL. How come that doesn't seem to be the case with cable? Or it is the same case and isn't cared about as much?

Another question, is it alright to use ADSL line filters on ADSL2 plans? It should be, right?

Thanks a bunch again aliali, just wait for me to come back asking about modems and stuff after the new year :P

Nope 18 megabytes/second. EG a mate syncs at 20Mbit and if he starts a usenet download of 350 Megabytes he can walk up a short flight of stairs, make a coffee, walk back down the stairs and the download is finished. So 350 Megabyte in under a few minutes and he has AltBinz throttled to a lower speed so it does not flood the connection and cause his Dad's WoW game to lag.

No, 18 megabytes/second means a sync and download speed of 144-180Mbit. It's 18 megabits, not bytes. His <2MB/s estimate is right.

I re-iterate, Naked + VOIP. If you don't know anything about it, research it. iiNet have a FAQ, and Choice have a write up on it.

You don't pay any line rental, and phone calls are cheaper, while getting a cheaper ADSL2+ plan.

Hmm my parents want to keep the phone number though..

Which you can do with VOIP, as I said in my first post.

Ah, so you did :\ my mistake.

Can you use like, telephones and stuff with voip?

Yes.

I did link a couple of pages that'll answer most of your questions.

Hm.. I have a monitored alarm system but, and a fax machine.

Though, I haven't come across naked DSL plans which are going at $2 per gig yet either..

Hm.. I have a monitored alarm system but, and a fax machine.

Though, I haven't come across naked DSL plans which are going at $2 per gig yet either..

How does your alarm system connect to your phone line?

Do you have an ADSL service at the moment?

I think it's one of those ring to base or something ones.

And I'm on telstra cable right now.