- thesorehead

- TinBane

- unclebigdave

- .:Cyb3rGlitch:. *

- _sentinel *

* = This week's submission posted!

New posters this week:

- gabber

The idea is to get us to get out there and take photos, so nothing from your archive.

Edited by CokeMan

Just to say first up that I'm a complete novice at taking photos with a good camera. But anyway...

My first ever attempt at shooting the moon (with some help from google of course).

Posted Image

Edited by gabber

Nice work Gabber,

Here are a couple of pics of my moon shots to get you started. Let me know if you need any tips.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And just something i am working on at the moment

Posted Image

Rob.

Edited by motiv

Thanks for the encouragement. It was shot with a Canon 500D with the EFS 55-250 lens that came in the twin lens kit. The photo was taken on a cheap arse tripod I've had laying around for years.

motiv : How'd you get the moon that colour in the first pic? Lens filter, post-proccessing? The deep space shot was taken with aid of a telescope I'm guessing?

I'm really looking forward to getting into novice astro-photography now we've got a decent camera and telescope. But that would waayyyy down the track after I've really gotten the hang off taking good shots a majority of the time.

Here's hoping I keep the standard of photos I've seen uploaded on these forums as high as it is already...

Edited by gabber

I have been really busy for the last 6 weeks, working weekends and late nights. I have not submitted for a while.

Here's one I took for the person who wanted to know about lensbaby's etc.

Posted Image

I really should take more photos. Here's a recent one for a review I'm doing:

Posted Image

Pretty sure that's already been reviewed, dude :p

@ gabba: The blue moon pic has more than likely been shot by changing the white balance on the camera. (The Up arrow on the 500d, great camera btw, have one myself :P). It's basically the temperature of light, affecting the ambient colour of the photo.

I suck at explaining these things, but one thing to remember is to basically always set the white balance yourself, either through one of the presets, or using a white card, just don't use AWB.

Heres some reading for ya :)

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/D..._Balance_01.htm

http://www.photoxels.com/tutorial_white-balance.html

http://digital-photography-school.com/intr...o-white-balance

And, an example shot I did a while back, used the incandescent light preset for this:

Posted Image

Meh, I can't afford to buy the latest and greatest to review. I'm just trying to get something out there so I can show potential companies that I'm worth sending press kits to.

Meh, I can't afford to buy the latest and greatest to review. I'm just trying to get something out there so I can show potential companies that I'm worth sending press kits to.

For sure. Good luck with it :)

Thanks for the encouragement. It was shot with a Canon 500D with the EFS 55-250 lens that came in the twin lens kit. The photo was taken on a cheap arse tripod I've had laying around for years.

motiv : How'd you get the moon that colour in the first pic? Lens filter, post-proccessing? The deep space shot was taken with aid of a telescope I'm guessing?

I'm really looking forward to getting into novice astro-photography now we've got a decent camera and telescope. But that would waayyyy down the track after I've really gotten the hang off taking good shots a majority of the time.

Here's hoping I keep the standard of photos I've seen uploaded on these forums as high as it is already...

What sort of mount/telescope have you got?

In regards to the blue moon, I used a 2" Light pollution filter which limits certain bandwidths of light like sulfur, mercury, etc... This specific filter will pretty much make anything white, blue.

To start yourself off in astrophotography. Best way is to get yourself a good wide angle lens, head over to a dark site and take 30-45 second subs @ 10-20mm. Unfortunately since the sagg arm is setting, you'll need to wait till next year when it's at or around zenith.

Posted Image

Rob

Thanks for the links _sentinel (they're bookmarked now).

@ motiv : The telescope is a Celestron 114mm reflector with the motorised mount and fancy keypad control thing. I'd be guessing that I just need to buy an adapter to affix the camera to where the eyepiece is? And thnx again :p

hopefully its not shit like my celestron 127mm was.. but you'll probably have a tonne more luck given its motorised.

Thanks for the links _sentinel (they're bookmarked now).

@ motiv : The telescope is a Celestron 114mm reflector with the motorised mount and fancy keypad control thing. I'd be guessing that I just need to buy an adapter to affix the camera to where the eyepiece is? And thnx again :p

Something like the SCA 1.25" T-Adaptor