Sign in to follow this  
smurfpumper

I have headache from GPU search

I have been searching for an upgrade to my 8800GTS, with no luck....I almost think a coin toss is a wise decision right now.

I am swaying toward a 275GTX (896mb), but ATI is an option (although I've had worse luck with them).

I keep flip flopping, I need someone to push me into a medium priced purchase.

Q: I game. Dragon Age/U2004/U3/WoW(raid)/Bioshock/Spore...are a few that I like to be able to show off to myself, by upgrading my card. I am going to build around the card. Any suggestions to a performance gamer? Visuals on slower games (WoW, Spore, Dragon Age). Price? Well, let's try to keep it at a mediocre $250 give or take a few US dollars (for what they are worth).

Thanks in advanced (been searching site too for opines, it made it worse coming here =)

Smurfpumper

For RPG type games and maybe some FPS thrown into the mix i would have got a 5850 as a decent comprimise plus it is DX11 compliant: $300 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...2-857-_-Product

Other options could be:

Ati 5770 (Crossfire as mentioned above - Single card on par with Radeon 4870) $ 160 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...1-321-_-Product

Ati 4890 $200 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...0-438-_-Product

GTX 275 $250 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...5-290-_-Product

Edited by smakme7757

Lol the 5770 isn't budget, you should see what I have to make do with cause I bought a new car and had to sell my new i7 machine to help pay the cash part I am putting down.

hey nes,

what car did you buy?

Fixed.

It's a Navara from memory.

As for the graphics card search, its basically just a case of what you want.

Nvidia has Physx Support, so if you want that, then an Nvidia card around your price range is a good idea, GTX260 or something similar, if you dont mind, then the 4890 isnt a bad buy, has decent overclocking abilities (better than the 4870) and should still run just about anything you throw at it.

If you can wait a bit longer and save a bit more, you could get something like a 5850, hopefully theyll be down in price a bit by the end of the year when suppliers start getting more stock. Currently they're around 300 dollars, but if US prices and our strong dollar are anything to go by, they might be down to around $300 in a month or so(might be a bit optimistic, but who knows)

Edited by nukejockey

hey nes,

what car did you buy?

Fixed.

isn't a Navara from Nissan? :P nice car, better then the Hilux cause you can easily flip them, if you watch the news and see a Hilux involved, it is very likely that its been fliped. They will try to cover it up from public because the Aussies elites are a bunch of CS's for toyota because they sponsor/promote alot of the PR and keeping alot of workers at work in Oz to pay high taxes for our bloody government.

the Hilux sits too high and lightweight but with good power, in that regards 4x4 also means 4x4 of the ground at high speed around corners.

p.s just a brief hijack.

Edited by xbomx

hey nes,

what car did you buy?

Fixed.

isn't a Navara from Nissan? :P

yea Brand new Nissan Navara since I have been looking for a decent second hand diesel Hilux for 6 months and couldn't find what I wanted.

yea Brand new Nissan Navara since I have been looking for a decent second hand diesel Hilux for 6 months and couldn't find what I wanted.

fortunate you didn't get a Hilux

both are good cars, just like anything comes down to what brand you prefer although the problem I know hilux has is its diffs are crap on all the IFS models from 97>current, I just bought what drove well so eh I don't get caught up in the Toyota/Nissan fan wars.

I must admit though (I frequent Fraser Island a lot and see this), I laugh at those Toyota guys that have "nissan recovery squad" on the back of their car then you see the idiots getting pulled out by a Patrol or something heh.

anyway I think I derailed this thread pretty badly...

Edited by nesquick

i say go for the gtx 275 .. recently bought one and it is very fast. i was mainly looking at cod:mw2 but in benchmarks at 1920x1200 it beats a 5850 and costs a lot less.

HD 5850 > GTX 275, without question. Assuming OP has the right board for it, as Cyb3rGlitch says 2 x 5770 are the best value combo out right now, the odd potential Crossfire gremlin notwithstanding.

Edited by philo-sofa

i say go for the gtx 275 .. recently bought one and it is very fast. i was mainly looking at cod:mw2 but in benchmarks at 1920x1200 it beats a 5850 and costs a lot less.

LOL

HD 5850 > GTX 275, without question. Assuming OP has the right board for it, as Cyb3rGlitch says 2 x 5770 are the best value combo out right now, the odd potential Crossfire gremlin notwithstanding.

I'm gonna take the time to warn people about this right now.

Crossfire with the 5xxx series is very poor at the moment. The games that it does work with, it works well, but then there are games that its supposed to work with, that are full of bugs.

So at the moment its a mixed bag. Hopefully the next driver revision is good, because the 9.12s promised alot, but didnt deliver.

Crossfire with the 5xxx series is very poor at the moment. The games that it does work with, it works well, but then there are games that its supposed to work with, that are full of bugs.

So at the moment its a mixed bag. Hopefully the next driver revision is good, because the 9.12s promised alot, but didnt deliver.

That wasn't what I'd heard - when I said the odd gremlin I was just referring to the usual issues and single card performance without driver support for a particular game. What kind of bugs are there?

That wasn't what I'd heard - when I said the odd gremlin I was just referring to the usual issues and single card performance without driver support for a particular game. What kind of bugs are there?

I've just been having alot of problems with it lately. Crashes, glitches etc. 9.12 did fix alot of it, I dont get crashes on the desktop anymore, but some games still play up. Not that many to really make a huge difference, but substantial enough to annoy the fuck out of me. Coming from a 4870x2 where my system has been 100% stable, to the 2 5850s where I've had several crashes. I'm sure ATI will iron out the problems next driver revision, it was just a quick warning.

+1 vote for 5850. Clear upgrade over the 275 and good value if you don't want to spend the extra $150 for the 5870

Edited by turro