Sign in to follow this  
index680i

Who hates Windows Live Sign In BS?

Do you like Windows Live sign-up/ login to save?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Yeah I like Icecream =D

• I hate it
    • Yes I like it.
    • Do I get Icecream if I click this option?
    • If you ticked the above and read this message then you get no fucking icecream.

Some of us have no internet in some locations and some only have dial-up and can be hard to connect and play.

But what pings me off the most is the fact that you have to always be signed in just to save the fing game. What happened to the old way of saving games aka just fucking saving and be done with it? And some other problems I reckon I seen is activating games on Windows Live. I re installed GTA 4 on my new machine (Specs in Sig) and it sent me a message back telling me its already been used and I can only use the key once! I was so fucking pissed becuase,

A. You pay what $89 - $99 for a game just to use the Key once? How gay!

B. Just don't need to have a B option but thought I would type something totally random but here goes > Pancakes.

I reckon its a load of crap just to save online and to use the key once but mind you I got it working becuase I sent an email and in some ways its fair enough because of the new machine and they thought it was sus that the same key being used on a different PC but still mofo's! STILL!.

Yeah its a rant but I want to hear your thoughts on this.

Edited by index680i

lol you really need a beer.

BTW I lent my GTAIV copy to my mate and he had no issues. It's annoying having to create an offline profile as I don't like my main gaming pc on the net.

GTA 4 has no activation restrictions. You can install and activate it as many times as you like. You failed at something.

AFAIK, GFWL works offline as well if you've saved your account settings.

GTA 4 doesn't save online either. It saves games somewhere in App Data under a special folder with meta information in the save games relating to your account - so if you want to play the save games on a different account, you need to grab out a hex editor.

lol you really need a beer.

Yes I do.

Might grab a carton of Carlton Mid =D

-Edit-

How do I get GTA IV to save offline?

Cause you see I work out where I can't get internet and then come home on my days off and as you notice I have internet.

Edited by index680i

How do I get GTA IV to save offline?

Cause you see I work out where I can't get internet and then come home on my days off and as you notice I have internet.

Create a windows live account on your computer. Once you've created and logged in once, then you're done. Set it to log-in automatically and you won't even need to remember your password.

ha, I was wondering why my bro was going on about GTAIV, when he kept telling me it was his mates copy, but he used his own GFWL login.

He was going to buy his own copy so he could give his mate's copy back.

This thread needs more nerd rage.

Firstly, GFWL does not require you to be online to sign in, if you're so unhappy with it, make an OFFLINE PROFILE to save to.

Secondly, GTA4s activation is handled through securom, so GFWL does nothing other than give you achievements and help you connect to other players if you choose to play online.

sick of seeing stupid threads like this pop up all over the internet, people whinge because they think they're getting a raw deal with certain programs/products, or because they dislike having to sign in, so they cry about it, and tell people how bad it is.

The reason I find it so funny is, because after using GFWL since its inception in GOW, I've had NO Problems with it at all, its a good way of deterring piracy as some games require you input your CD key through GFWL, I've done it with several games countless times and never had a problem.

You're the same as the early steam adopters, most didnt have a problem, a certain few didnt like change, so they ragged on Steam saying it was bad, when most of the population didnt have that much of a problem with it.

This is what turned me off for Street Fighter 4, I sometimes couldnt log on to the Windows Live Server, so I couldnt play offline with my unlocked characters.

And as soon as it connected me online, sometime during my Versus match, I get disconnected and it gets counted as a loss when I reconnect. (Luckily this was only just a non-ranked match so I was happy, but constant disconnections wasnt exactly fun for me).

I'm not sure if its GFWL or SF4, but most of my problems was mainly connecting to the server, not the gameplay of SF4 ( though the online versus mode coulda been designed better ).

I ALSO had the same problem with Fallout 3 as well. I had to restart Fallout 3 10 or 20 times before it connects me.

====================================

I never had a problem like this with Steam this is why I dont mind steam. What I do mind is that GFWL doesnt seem to allow me to store my online profile on my local PC, I shouldn't need to have 2 different profiles do I? (Or am I doing this wrong in the first place?) I'm not even sure if it can sync between online and offline achievements neither :(.

I just liked the bit when no one could get GTA4 running properly, and Rockstar's helpful suggestion was to close all unecessary applications. I loled.

Meh. GFWL integrates with my hotmail so I didn't have a big issue setting it up, which was a plus.

I had to jump through a hoop getting to work with DoW2 but nothing major.

The biggest impact GFWL has had on me so far is giving me kudos every time I beat a mission at DoW2, so not really that big a deal...

So, I guess I'm not seeing the grief you are... sorry...

I don't like GFWL either.

What's the point of it?

Does it provide some anti piracy protection or something?

Only thing it does for me is tell me when I've unlocked an achievement which I couldn't give a toss about.

I notice there's some IM/message system inbuilt, but not having an Xbox I don't use it and don't care to. I get all those features with steam where I likely got the game from.

For me its just another thing you have to sign into just to play the damn game.

And yeah, having to sign in to do anything or save a game is ridiculous. If the saved games were uploaded to my profile then yeah I could see the point of it, but I don't think it does and is thus pointless.

Admittedly if there was some kind of GFWL "Cloud" setup like steam, it would make more sense.

However, it works really well with most console ports, if you have a GFWL game, atleast you know your Xbox control is supported, and that Peer to Peer gameplay (coop etc.) Is easy to get into, when we dont get the option of dedicated servers.

Having to login well, once again, I've had no problems there, its not like you have to login for each game, your profile carries across multiple game installs, so long as you havent reinstalled windows.

Not to mention the fact that GFWL is a simple install, just like Steam, I fail to see the problem with logging in.

Nuke.

I don't see a major problem with the idea of Windows Live login however for a few people it can be very annoying at times.

I rather be using steam than using Windows Live, for sure. At least with steam you can go offline mode without have to worry about saving the game using a mandatory internet connection.

Just because you don't have a problem with Live, can not mean other people experience the same thing, we all bump into problems on other machines.

LOL Index, the one thing you're complaining about is completely possible!

If GFWL doesnt detect an internet connection, it will log you in in offline mode on your online account, wow!

If GFWL doesnt detect an internet connection, it will log you in in offline mode on your online account, wow!

Really? I never seen this work on Fallout 3 and Street Fighter 4. Does this mean certain games allow you to do this then or something?

Really? I never seen this work on Fallout 3 and Street Fighter 4. Does this mean certain games allow you to do this then or something?

All of them do, I have a fair few GFWL games on steam, and after a reinstall of windows, I have to put my GFWL profile in again, then if I go to play another GFWL game and it needs a CD Key, and I DONT enter it, it will log in me in, offline.

What is more annoying, is buying a game over Steam (yes I'm looking at you Section 8) only to have Windows Live included and required to play as well. All I need is two bloody overlays.

What is more annoying, is buying a game over Steam (yes I'm looking at you Section 8) only to have Windows Live included and required to play as well. All I need is two bloody overlays.

Yep, it's balls.

Hotmail/Live still sucks no matter how value added they get....

All of them do, I have a fair few GFWL games on steam, and after a reinstall of windows, I have to put my GFWL profile in again, then if I go to play another GFWL game and it needs a CD Key, and I DONT enter it, it will log in me in, offline.

So as long as I dont provide the CD Key for a GFWL game, I can play my the game using my online profile offline... Sounds a bit of a workaround.

Would I still be able to get the achievements for my online profile?

Yes, because its still your profile, you dont have to log in to use it, you only need to log in to play the games online. Its still essentially the same profile, the only difference is, one way it accesses the internet, and the other way it cant.

For similar reasons, I don't really like Steam too much either tbh, I just miss the old days you just install the game and play straight away, without the need for an internet connection. Piracy make legitimate users suffer as well.

My main problem is that a lot of games these days (all?) 'require online activation'. Even solely single player games. This is a problem for me because I don't have a net connection at home. So I can't play any PC games these days.

Although in some ways, it's good. Saves me spending $100 on a few hours of ho-hum gameplay.