amphigory

Star Trek Online

So was wondering who is keen on Star Trek Online?

I emailed Namco Bandai Australia to find out if they are going to start special preorder deals here in Australia like in the States (e.g. Amazon is offering a Borg female officer, EB Games/GameStop is offering a Classic TOS Enterprise ship).

I got a curious response from Namco Bandai. Apparently you guys (Atomic Magazine) will be writing a feature on Star Trek Online and it will also be the front cover for the magazine. Is this true?

As you know, the US date is 2nd of Feb. The Euro date is 5th of Feb. Games tend to come out on a Thursday here in Australia, so I think it's safe to guess the 4th of Feb for Australia.

Here are some links:

http://kotaku.com/5420881/cryptic-gives-us...tar-trek-online

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,700972/...shots/Practice/ (they do some benchmarks with STO)

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/77687

http://au.pc.ign.com/dor/objects/14270158/...sb1ns8o?show=hi

(1st part) http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?game=35...3780&bhcp=1 (2nd part) http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?game=35...3792&bhcp=1

The collectors edition has a bunch of stuff:

Posted Image

# Deluxe Packaging: Futuristic 3dX holography set in a high quality brushed aluminum finish. Heavy duty construction with magnetic closures and nested compartments for all components.

# Deluxe Manual: High end, hardbound, art book, manual, and disc case in a single, elegant package. “HD Printing” on over 40 glossy pages of exclusive art from the Star Trek Online Universe.

# Communicator Badge: High quality cast metal design based on the in-game badge model. Fully 3d Sculpted with recessed burst and curved contours.

# Guest Passes: Credit card style buddy passes to invite three of your friends for a ten day trial of Star Trek Online.

# Red Matter Capacitor: A unique item that charges up and delivers extra energy to all of your ship’s equipment for a short time. A device that, when used, gives you a small bump in energy, has a long recharge.

# Next Generation Uniform: Uniform Options from and the Next Generation. The timeless look worn by Picard, Data and Riker.

# “Deep Space Nine” Uniform: Uniform Options from the “Deep Space Nine” Series. Grey shoulders, on a black uniform, just like Sisko, Worf and Dax.

I just thought I should provide some info for the people not aware :)

Okay... but what do we actually know about this title?

Gameplay?

Sorry, but buyers should really beware of a game that markets so hard before we have anything solid on it.

The little we know suggests it could well be another Champions Online (even with the same engine)?

That might actually work for STO (starship battles) but we really don't know.

It could also result in another CO type game that is fun for about a month and then you are 'done'?

Wait and see...

... but I would hold off on those pre-orders until you know what you are buying.

Open Beta starts on the 12th Jan.

They are currently in Closed Beta.

If you wanted to you could try go for the Open Beta to get an idea.

From what I've read and seen, and Ive spoken to some closed beta people, it is not Champions Online.

Granted it uses the same "engine", but that's where the similarities end. You have the space combat part which takes up most of the game (they demoed at the Penny Arcade Expo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epIQPBC5fBA). You can also go exploring new areas as a way of "ranking up" (there aren't any levels in the usual sense). There is also ground combat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQpiOVRisko), though I'm not sure how it plays now, since the demos were made months ago, before closed beta started.

In any case, I'm hoping interest starts early to make Namco Bandai start releasing more info here in Australia as at the moment there is zilch. There are only vague preorders on offer, but nothing else.

And I'd like to ask the Atomic guys, are you doing an article on the game? (according to Namco Bamdai you are)

Open Beta starts on the 12th Jan.

They are currently in Closed Beta.

If you wanted to you could try go for the Open Beta to get an idea.

Could you post the link to apply for the open beta. I wouldn't mind trying this out.

At the moment there is only Closed Beta (http://www.startrekonline.com)

Open Beta I believe is a preorder perk currently offered in the States.

This is why I want Namco Bandai to get its act together and start promoting the game here in Australia.

DAM YOU AMERICA!!!!

ah well....if the time comes for open Australian Beta, I'll be there =D

EDIT: I'm currently on the waiting list for the Heroes of Newerth open beta too, seeing I haven't been able to find a closed beta key.

Edited by redemption

Just so you know, Cryptic is using single server methodology.

So it is one giant server that everyone connects to. You no longer have to worry about connecting to the wrong server to meet up with friends ;)

Should be good! I much prefer one giant server rather than half a dozen servers or so. It works fairly well with Champions Online. The lag I've seen ranges from just over 300ms to 500ms, so its pretty normal (WoW is usually worse than that).

Will be interesting to see if any tunneling services pop up.

This is why I want Namco Bandai to get its act together and start promoting the game here in Australia.

DAM YOU AMERICA!!!!

ah well....if the time comes for open Australian Beta, I'll be there =D

EDIT: I'm currently on the waiting list for the Heroes of Newerth open beta too, seeing I haven't been able to find a closed beta key.

Oh it still doesn't mean you can't get it!

A lot of the US retailers will allow international orders. So you can order from those retailers and get their preorder bonuses (including open beta), like Amazon.

Yep latest mag has this featured on the cover and has a preview article or something on it. Haven't read it yet. Think it's a two or four page article.

Nothing about PvP in any of those articles so I'm guessing it's going to be another PvE yawnfest.

Okay, at this point I really have to cry "FOUL!"

For someone who knows so much about the game I find it hard to believe you do not know the details here?

The 'Closed Beta' is being 'sold' as a cross promotion for buying a six month sub in Champions Online.

This deal has already caused many to feel 'ripped off' because of the way Cryptic has handled it.

Jon Wood of MMORPG.com covered it here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/load...ure/3723/page/1

He said:

Star Trek Online

First, there's an issue that's been plaguing Cryptic and Star Trek Online ever since they started their closed beta. You see, back when they were trying to sell Champions Online as quickly and heavily as possible, the powers that be over at Cryptic decided to offer a $199 lifetime subscription to the game. We'll ignore the part where they were asking people to buy a lifetime subscription to a game that wouldn't be released for at least another month and move right along to the part that really gets my goat: The Champions Online lifetime (or six month) subscription's big selling point was that buyers would get access to the closed beta test for Star Trek Online.

"But Jon," you may ask. "The beta access was only one of the things the lifetime sub offered, why would you say it was the big selling point?"

To you, my hypothetical friend, I say that this would be acceptable if the STO beta access hadn't been the very first thing listed in the promotion. I would concede your point, perhaps, if the offer had been made at the bottom, and a Star Trek Online logo hasn't appeared on the ad (there was no Champions logo at all).

I can not stress enough the fact that selling access to your game's closed beta is a hideous mistake and sets a precedent for more hideous mistakes to be made in the future. I've written before about the fact that developers have, over time, eroded way at the usefulness of the beta process in MMOs. I've written before that by promoting both closed and open betas as though they are showcases or free trials for the game will result in participants not so much being interested in trying to help you fix the issues with your game, which is the purpose of beta, as giving the game an early try and complaining bitterly about its lack of polish and general crappyness to anyone they come across.

Now, when I said those things, I was just talking about times when developers over-hype their beta process. I have to say though that it goes double or even triple when you've essentially charged your customers money to participate. You thought they unreasonably expected a polished gameplay experience before? Well, now that they've ponied up the dough those expectations are going to be high and they're going to rightfully complain when the game that they get to play is, you know, still in testing.

Really, that should have been the end of my rant about this issue. I mean, sure I don't like the fact that some of the people in the closed beta are going to be there with expectations based on the fact that they shelled out to be there, but hey, it's not the end of the world. The thing is though, that according to reports, these paid for beta slots weren't the first ones given out. When closed beta started on October 22nd, there were many complaints from CO lifetime subscription holders that they had not been invited to participate, at least not right away.

Now, I know that nothing in the advertisement stated that purchasers of the lifetime membership would be given any kind of priority in closed beta invites. The thing is though, and here's where that pesky charging them for access thing starts to come back and bite you... You set up that expectation, even without explicitly stating it, once money got involved.

Look, I really want to see Star Trek Online succeed. I've been a lifelong fan of Star Trek and have been over the moon excited to see what Cryptic comes up with. I'm not even one of those people who disagrees with the premise of the game's design. I just hope that these very silly promotional mistakes won't end up hurting the game experience in the long run.

Jon Wood (Stradden), MMORPG.com, 12 November, 2009.

And with a little searching on MMORPG.com you can find threads started by people who signed up and regretted it.

The Open Beta info is here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thre...-Announced.html

Since you have used MMORPG.com links in your OP I would expect you to know this?

Edit: the Gamestop Pre Order link http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/sto/default.aspx

Note the contents of the Collectors Edition include "3 Cards to invite your friends to experience a FREE 10 day Star Trek Online trial"

@amphigory, I do know where you are coming from on this. If you look back (probably in the archives I think) you will find I started a thread on Pirates of the Burning Sea and tried to keep Atomic up to date on that title pre release. But, you have to post the good with the bad. Otherwise you look like (and indeed are) a shill. (In fact, I was accused of that despite posting the bad as well!)

I would like Atomic to cover this as well, but ONLY if they can do a proper job. If they don't get shown anything aside from the standard preview videos and press releases (which don't reveal the stuff gamers NEED TO SEE to make an informed decision) then I hope Atomic has the integrity to actually say so.

This is a great IP. But so were Age of Conan and Warhammer (WAR). We need to know a lot more (and be honest about any shortfalls) before we can say if the game will live up to the expectations of the IP.

Edited by gyrus

I know of the beta offer with Champions, but that is actually no longer being offered. That was being offered in the first week or so of Champions starting.

On the one hand I do agree it was a bad marketing ploy, and can build a negative image towards Cryptic, but on the other it's a way to support Cryptic. I got a 6 month sub with Champs.

So far I haven't gotten in. But they did say that all Champs subs will be in by the end of Dec (it's in the STO forums).

mmorpg.com has lost some credibility with me. Those 2 articles I linked were probably the only positive articles I've read. The forums are full of negativity (they make the WOW forums look like rainbows). I mean you can write about what you don't like etc in a constructive way, but outright whining and bagging out, and saying "STO will fail cos it doesn't have feature X or interiors" is just not the way to do it. And the way a beta leak was handled by mmorpg.com also put me off the site even more.

With regards to Atomic, I am only asking Atomic about it because I have an email from Namco Bandai Australia saying that Atomic will be doing a feature on STO. I would like some confirmation on that.

If I come across as a shill, oh well. I'm just excited about the game. The videos that are available on Youtube should be enough for now to give you an impression on how well the game looks, but of course, you can't make a 100% judgement on it until you play it yourself. I'm sure Cryptic will lift the NDA by the end of December (my guess), and then there will be more first hand accounts of the game getting released.

Another thing I should mention for the Klingon fans out there: the Klingons will be a special faction that you "unlock" after you complete the common tutorial stage of the game. Once you've reached that point, you will then be able to create a Klingon and play the Klingon side. The Klingon side has the larger PVP focus, and less PVE. There will also be Klingon House vs House PVP (a House being a "guild"). There will also be the Neutral Zone and other areas where PVP can occur.

The Fed side has the heavier PVE focus.

Fair enough.

I know of the beta offer with Champions, but that is actually no longer being offered. That was being offered in the first week or so of Champions starting.

On the one hand I do agree it was a bad marketing ploy, and can build a negative image towards Cryptic, but on the other it's a way to support Cryptic. I got a 6 month sub with Champs.

So far I haven't gotten in. But they did say that all Champs subs will be in by the end of Dec (it's in the STO forums).

Good luck to you. Hopefully you can give us a full report early Jan then?

My only other comment on this though would be: Why is it MMORPG gamers seem to feel the need to 'support' Developers with their money?

Cryptic is a business.

If they make good games - they will do fine.

mmorpg.com has lost some credibility with me. Those 2 articles I linked were probably the only positive articles I've read. The forums are full of negativity (they make the WOW forums look like rainbows). I mean you can write about what you don't like etc in a constructive way, but outright whining and bagging out, and saying "STO will fail cos it doesn't have feature X or interiors" is just not the way to do it. And the way a beta leak was handled by mmorpg.com also put me off the site even more.

I think the problem is that Cryptic (and Bill Roper) have a history which is not always good. Not to mention that CO isn't really an MMO?

It's an online game - sure. But MMO?

Cryptic seems to be following the trend of developing games that play like Single Player Games that you need to be online to play? That's fine, if that's what you like to do (and a lot of players do like that type of thing) but it's being marketed as an MMO. MMOs suggest 'world'. Many players who like to play MMOs are looking for a 'world' - a game they can immerse themselves in, grow with, become part of (like EvE). What many companies are now offering is a 'story'. I like stories - nothing wrong with that - but if I am being sold a game that simply offers a story (as opposed to a world) then I would like to know. It's about expectation.

The other issue is the 'rights'. If a game is simply a 'story' as opposed to an online world it effectively blocks anyone else creating that world because the rights are tied up.

So if Cryptic is simply creating a story - I would prefer it as done as an offline single player game.

Anyway, we will have to wait and see which way this one has gone... roll on January!

Nothing about PvP in any of those articles so I'm guessing it's going to be another PvE yawnfest.

Klingons represent the major PVP content in the game. At the moment very little has been released about Klingons, but they're (Cryptic) hoping to release Klingon stuff very soon.

Though "soon" seems to be the same type of soon that Blizzard uses.

Champions Online was pretty bad IMO, I hope this game is better. Otherwise I'll just hang out for Knights of the Old Republic.

They need to make a Shadowrun MMO. Fraggers.

Yeah... it just arrived in the mail...reading now. ;-D

Okay... looks like it was based on info supplied by Cryptic and not hands on.

The last line is "If it 'feels' right and plays as solidly as Cryptic claims, Star Trek Online is definitely (wait for it...) set to stun."

Magazine feedback is the place to take this for more info from David Hollingworth and Seamus Byrne.

Yeah... it just arrived in the mail...reading now. ;-D

Okay... looks like it was based on info supplied by Cryptic and not hands on.

The last line is "If it 'feels' right and plays as solidly as Cryptic claims, Star Trek Online is definitely (wait for it...) set to stun."

Magazine feedback is the place to take this for more info from David Hollingworth and Seamus Byrne.

Is that magazine out now? Or is it out in January? It's a little confusing.

Champions Online was pretty bad IMO, I hope this game is better. Otherwise I'll just hang out for Knights of the Old Republic.

Heh heh ... missed this post before....

Waiting for SW:KOTOR?

You are just not going to have a good year are you?

;-)

Well, the answer is "no". Atomic did not get any hands on time with the game.

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?s...mp;#entry507092

"As to STO, no, no hands on time yet, though I am fairly drooling to get some. Sadly the closed beta is very limited, only opening up for a few awkward hours at a time. Being centered around North American users, we kind of get the short end of the stick here."

-hawkeye

So, we are pretty much where we started.

I find it concerning though that a title due for release in 3 months is still on closed beta with limited access?

Edit: Cross thread link: http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?s...=25117&st=0

Edited by gyrus

Klingons represent the major PVP content in the game. At the moment very little has been released about Klingons, but they're (Cryptic) hoping to release Klingon stuff very soon.

Though "soon" seems to be the same type of soon that Blizzard uses.

Yeah I read that after I posted. The way it sounds, it's almost guaranteed to be meaningless, risk free pvp. aka shit pvp. I want to take my guild/clan/whatever and go blow up some feds while they are stroking some tribbles. I bet I wont be able to do that.

Edited by supam

Just FYI Atomic:

MMORPG.com apparently got a 3 hour play session with STO - and it sounds like the game is pretty good?

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/35...ure/3846/page/1

Well, maybe.

"It was three hours. A more complex hands-on preview should follow next week. Up until now we've had very short windows to play."

Because the article concludes with this:

"If City of Heroes and Pirates of the Burning Sea had a baby, it would be Star Trek Online."

As one of the MMORPG.com posters said in reply: "I just threw up."

Another said:

"we got - "that was fun" "this is instanced" "that isn't instanced"

so are you or are you not allowed to give any details - - - as this article stands, at least for me, it is worthless"

Good? or Bad? We really, really, really need to get a proper decent hands on with this game. No-one seems to actually be able to tell us gamers (remember us? the people who will end up paying for the game?) anything we can take to the bank.

Maybe I have become a complete cynic but - this close to release - the fact that so little real information is available gives me a very uneasy feeling.

(cross posted to issue 108 feedback - thread linked in posts above)

!EDIT!

AND...

Klingons are PvP ONLY.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thre...s-PvP-Only.html

Edited by gyrus