amphigory

Star Trek Online

I wasn't surprised about Klingons at all. It's how I saw Klingons would play. Don't know why everyone is up in arms about it all?

They've released some more details: http://startrekonline.com/node/777

Because it's an MMO.

And it effectively makes Klingons a 'monster' race. So the majority of people might try them as a novelty but that's all.

Why? Because people will have no 'attachment' to them.

That effectively kills your PvP as a serious part of the game too.

This makes STO more like a single player game with online content than an MMO.

It's a lot to do with understanding your target market (in this case MMO players) and Cryptic clearly don't.

Update on this title.

On MMORPG.com in the past couple of days there have been a couple of possible beta leaks.

Very minimal information - but both posters say this is not a good game with a lot of stuff still untested and / or not included yet.

An MMORPG.com staffer however claimed that one of those 'leaks' was wrong about some of the facts.

So, not sure what to believe at this point.

MMORPG.com say a more complete review will be available Wednesday (Thursday for us).

Watching with interest.

I don't like mmorpg.com, and not just because of the constant negativity on STO, but there has been similar negativity in other games throughout the years. It seems to attract the very vocal doomsayers who can post how a game is going to crash and burn.

On a different note, I got a response from Namco Bandai Australia saying that within a week or so Game, EB and JB Hifi will start doing some promo stuff on STO and that we are getting the Gold Edition of the Collectors Edition. And EB will be offering the Borg officer.

I don't like mmorpg.com, and not just because of the constant negativity on STO, but there has been similar negativity in other games throughout the years. It seems to attract the very vocal doomsayers who can post how a game is going to crash and burn.

That maybe so, but in many cases the posters there turn out to be right.

I think the thing about MMORPG.com is that it allows people to post 'negative' comments.

Some developer and many 'Fansites' do not. So of course they are more positive.

My own experiences with PotBS were that the fanbois made any criticism (pre-release) of the title on the developer boards impossible.

MMORPG.com kept things more balanced.

Besides which, if you look for positive comments on MMORPG.com you can easily find them too. There are posters there saying they will buy STO 'no matter what'.

On a different note, I got a response from Namco Bandai Australia saying that within a week or so Game, EB and JB Hifi will start doing some promo stuff on STO and that we are getting the Gold Edition of the Collectors Edition. And EB will be offering the Borg officer.

How is it exactly you are getting all this information from Namco Bandai?

I finally got into the beta (paid my CO sub preorder) and only have 2 partial days play so not extensive experience.

Curses confidentiallity.

Can say that have, of course, run into a few of the expected bugs but nothing catastrophic. Play is O.K. and the look is good but since I am running on a not fully up to spec laptop things will look much better for higher range machines.

There are a fair few missions available but more should be available later. No rat hunting for exp but a lot of variation of rinse repeat missions. But that's just the same as any MMO. Slightly cramped universe initially but more will be more available as you play. Nothing you can't guess at out of game i.e., more worlds & space missions and other quadrants.

If you liked the old paper/models "Star Fleet Battles" game you will love this, especially if you get into the PvP. Have not tried same but the PvE space battles are fun and against real people in the other ships it could become nicely hair raising. Ship movement is in 3D and it and the modelling looks good. You will be harrasing your engineers for more power to shields ... and weapons ... and engines! :{)

Some tweeking to go but it works fine as is and it's still beta of course.

It's true that you have plenty of oportunity to tweek your basic model ship with bought, awarded and salvaged parts as mentioned on the official site. You can make it look different or only install internal mods that pack a surprise into a stock looking ship.

BTW disintegrating clingalongs in ground combat with a phaser crit is fun. ;{D

Edited by Elfarch

How is it exactly you are getting all this information from Namco Bandai?

Easy - I emailed the marketing department of Namco Bandai through their website.

Easy - I emailed the marketing department of Namco Bandai through their website.

Fair enough. Unusual that they would tell an individual rather than do a press release or whatever - but I suppose it's good that they think "If a customer asks - we will answer!"

That's a big plus for them actually.

Fair enough. Unusual that they would tell an individual rather than do a press release or whatever - but I suppose it's good that they think "If a customer asks - we will answer!"

That's a big plus for them actually.

I was quite surprised that they did reply ;)

Star Trek is a big IP, and they would be silly to not promote it.

I'm hoping that what they told me is true, and that within a week or so, Game, EB and JBHifi will start promoting Star Trek Online.

I like the sound of the Gold Edition :) I think someone posted some pics of the stuff that will be inside (I believe the Euro version contains similar items) - postcards, maps and tshirt, including the Collectors Ed stuff. I'm also hoping that there'll be some good prices, though I'm not holding my breath on that :(

The official STO site has explainations of what comes with each stores special offers and links to their sites to see the offerings.

Edited by Elfarch

As promised MMORPG.com have published a more complete review here http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/352/feature/3866

It is a good article.

The BIG WTF!? from the article is that you can PAUSE this game??

Will be interesting to see how this works in practice?

Other than that - sounds good.

Still wont pre-order though. Need to see it first. Champions was fun too as was AoC apparently - but 20 hours is still honeymoon time period.

The test will be - is the game long term fun?

I hope ATOMIC get a better look at it too.

Wait and see I guess.

Got another couple of hours in and blasted lots of Orions, wheee!

Next beta session is next thursday morning our time so am feeling a tad frustrated here. :{)

Ed: spelling

Edited by Elfarch

Im in the closed beta and to tell you the truth , i am finding it dull and boring . Nothing really makes me want to play this game .

Well that sucked, in a majorly bad manner.

I'd been waiting for a week for the next short beta section, a couple of hours before work I checked and found no updates, goodoh. Off to work and as soon as I get back home login again, 1/3 of the way through the session time. 4gig update, oh oh. 5 hours later I'm all up to speed but the session is over. Lovely organisation guys. :{(

Edited by Elfarch

Part 3 of the MMORPG.com review.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/352/feature/3877

The more I read about this title the more 'potential' I see... but then again it is Star Trek with godknowshowmanyspinoffsandmoiesnow.

So, of course it has 'potential'.

But, I remain unconvinced about the game. You find some people who say it's great and some who say boring.

The Beta has only allowed people short play sessions too - so I doubt too many people have had a chance to decide if the game is 'long term fun' yet (which is what you need for an MMO). Although I did stumble on some Youtube Beta Leaks and TBH after 9 minutes I was bored watching.

My advice is to do what I do and wait a month or two to read real (not fanboi) reviews. The game will still be there if it's good. If not - you saved your money.

Yes, the last 2 sessions have only been for 5 hrs each. See above.

I did get up to sart at 0400 for the weekend one and didn't have to do any extra downloads, praise the lord and pass the phasers.

Plenty of room for expansion in the game but I can see why some would find it boring.

OTOH if your into 3D space combat especially once the PvP starts then you will be happy. And you will not have to worry about finances like you do in Eve.

Good Gravey!!

Got into my first seriously major STO fleet battles today. Wall to wall and floor to ceiling enemies all trying to vaporize me.

Thank the Grand Nagus there were other fedrats to act as ablative armour for poor little me. :{)

Not bad if you keep up the situational awareness and do not overpenetrate the ememy swarm and get englobed, or fail to notice if too many of your side start to explode leaving you stranded.

Fortunetly had some reasonable officers on my side and managed concentrated fire most of the time.

Dammit.

Here I am waiting for my client to patch :\

Though they have just announced that there'll be a session tomorrow, too.

Has there been any sort of official word on Collector's Editions or Pre Order key/items from AU retailers? I've seen mention in a couple of places that Namco Bandai said EB, JB Hifi, etc would have details up 'in the next week', and that was back in early/mid December if i recall. :(

And you will not have to worry about finances like you do in Eve.

What do you lose and gain by pvp then? If there is no tangible lose or gain the pvp becomes meaningless. Meaningless pvp is bad mkay. The fact that you lose your ship+items and have to buy a new one is a facet that makes Eve pvp so strong.

Can you fight over resources? Can I go kill people doing pve?

Can you fight over resources? Can I go kill people doing pve?

I see your point but as it isn't implemented yet can't give a definite answer. I "suspect" that you don't kill...they get a respawn like halo etc.

Resource wise there is loot from debris like eve and you can sell it to buy upgrades for your ship/s or actually plug it into your ship as a module.

Loss wise I have no clue apart from lesser skill upgrades that you would have gotten for success.

A Shadowrun MMO would just be full of Trolls with Panther assault cannons!

(but still cool)