amphigory

Star Trek Online

The first 4GB of the client download was speedy fast - then you think you're all good, and the patching starts... 4GB of S L O W patching. Took me all day to do it.

And it took a L O N G time to get it to work on my system. It hates 4870 X2's, apparently, Got it going, though, and finally had about an hour with it this morning... not bad. Bit cartoony, but it seems to have a lot of cool stuff. And ship combat is just about right.

The first 4GB of the client download was speedy fast - then you think you're all good, and the patching starts... 4GB of S L O W patching. Took me all day to do it.

And it took a L O N G time to get it to work on my system. It hates 4870 X2's, apparently, Got it going, though, and finally had about an hour with it this morning... not bad. Bit cartoony, but it seems to have a lot of cool stuff. And ship combat is just about right.

What sort of problems did you have to get with the 4870x2?, I've got that card too so any tips on getting it going would be awesome.

Lots of nasty screen tearing. Ended up completely re-installing drivers, and that made things worse! Rolled back drivers - game wouldn't start!

But then, finally, re-installed DirectX and things are fine - works really well now.

A Shadowrun MMO would just be full of Trolls with Panther assault cannons!

(but still cool)

Anything would be better than the god aweful last fps effort. The original rpg 8-bit version was more fun.

sigh finally finished patching and it says I can't connect to servers now 8^(

I'm very sad

/edit looks like the next playtest starts around 3am on sunday

Edited by Azawrath

Gah! Just finished downloading, then unzipping, then installing the game... Haven't done any patches yet...

Can't authenticate :(

No fair!

Well, I'm patching now, and I couldn't even do that before, so this is better than nothing. So even if I can't actually play the game right now, I'll be ready to play when I can :)

... finally had about an hour with it this morning... not bad. Bit cartoony, but it seems to have a lot of cool stuff. And ship combat is just about right.

Beware the 'honeymoon' period hawkeye.

Could you play it long term? I found about 20 minutes of leaked beta footage on Youtube and got bored after 10 minutes of watching the same combat.... I hope it was an early leak I saw and it has improved?

Bah 10 GB + Patches downloaded today and I finally have all the files and dun-dun-DUUUHHH "You are not allowed to access the server at this time".

Its already a waste of time and effort...

Oh and SNG FTW!

At last! A 3 day run starting 0400 Sunday EST our time. See you around the universe guys.

Apart from the fact I happen to be tied up for a lot of that time. :{( Still, yay!

I got another 800mb (ish) patch this morning and while waiting for it to DL I found a nice little tip,

In the Options menu upto the top left of the patcher if you change the proxy part to US or EU instead of NONE and restart the client the speed seems to pickup. I tried it and it does look to work.

Problem is tho there looks to be an issue connecting to the actual server while the proxy is set ATM so be sure to change it back to none after patching.

I got another 800mb (ish) patch this morning and while waiting for it to DL I found a nice little tip,

In the Options menu upto the top left of the patcher if you change the proxy part to US or EU instead of NONE and restart the client the speed seems to pickup. I tried it and it does look to work.

Problem is tho there looks to be an issue connecting to the actual server while the proxy is set ATM so be sure to change it back to none after patching.

I WANT YOUR BABY!

Cheersthis has made my patching increase from 1% after many moons to a reasonable speed. I still dont know what a patching system that is soooo slow does not retry the connection if it drops off.

feel free to add Azash @ azawrath to your friends lists anyone thats playing ^_^

looks liek chat is set like <char name> @ <forum name> so the 2nd name would persist over all ya chars.

Well, I got in for about .. damn, nearly an hour there :D (Before the server dropped out...)

I really enjoyed it! Plenty of bugs to be worked out.... The Lag was atrocious, causing me to re-enter at least 1 room nearly 10 times, after pulling me back, before the mission officers would activate...

Spaceflight was relatively easy, and fun. Very different to Eve... I liked the "hold both mouse buttons to fly the ship" feature, and being able to spin the ship on it's axis with an a or d key was handy in battle. Though I do think an "orbit" button would be nice, and docking back at the space station was a bit annoying having practically no context information, just having to fly towards it till it activated the Docking option...

Definitely keen for some more :)

Taaret @ dysorder here, U.S.S. Resolute

Loving it so far. Just need to play a bit more to make sure it's going to be great, and then I'm pre-ordering.