Sign in to follow this  
Athiril

(I wish I hadn't forgotten you can't swear in thread titles) Optus

Wankers.

Keep getting calls from 03 9937 7700 to upsell me to a plan to get me off prepaid, since I dont 'use' international or data stuff much, well I dont use them because they have no value in them in the first place, making them worse value to some to some kind of 'benefit' by getting to call other optus users more is not going to help that.

Called me to offer me some lame 'deal' for being with optus for so long and had my details there ready to go and 'upgrade'.

The seller was bloody annoying as, I just "yeah" to everything he said for about 15 minutes, then said "I'll think about it" whether to switch to a billed plan or whatever, but he kept asking to confirm it, bloody annoying, they've rang me like 10 times now since then (about a week ago), and I havent't answered.

Can anyone suggest something to switch to? I've never switched all these year out of it being inconvenient, but now I'm annoyed enough to do it.

I would like to use data/net stuff a lot more, but the plans and prepaid rate models were all shit when I looked so never bothered.

And international text or calls irregularly.

I dont give a shit about "same network calls super deals!" or "top 5 xtelco for free" shit, actually I dont give a shit about most of the stuff I see on these ridiculous convoluted plans that make calculating real cost more complicated, they just make the interesting things I would like more expensive.

An what is with that "$150 value for $30 recharge!" way to try and hide your actual costs on the plan to consumers... its not $150, its $30, you paid $30 and the txts are x cents and calls y cents per minute as opposed to 'traditional' plans of 5 or so years ago :P wankers.

Edited by Athiril

Can anyone suggest something to switch to? I've never switched all these year out of it being inconvenient, but now I'm annoyed enough to do it.

If you don't want a prepaid plan, don't fucking switch. If you're annoyed, tell them. If you don't want the plan, tell them! Don't waste their time and yours by being just gutless enough to say "I'll think about it.".

you know what I do with cold callers?

/click.

I dont even talk to them.

having said that, ive never got calls from optus like that.

and ive been on their prepaid for about 5 years or so.

guess they just love you :)

So if these arseclowns keep giving you the shits then lodge complaints with Optus directly, Dept of Fair Trading and the Telecommunications Ombudsman - that'll stuff them up... ;]

I've edited the thread title for this for obvious reasons (those being "Fucking Optus" for those that missed it).

Oh, and per this I've moved your thread.

Edited by iamthemaxx

We here (all four of us) are using TPG for $20.00 a month, no contract, you get $300.00 credit for calls,text,data. It does not get any better. :)

I'm on prepaid too. I've been considering going to a non-prepaid but I rarely use my phone. Mostly want to go off prepaid so I don't run out of time and have to get to a PC to recharge. Pain in the ass.

Any idea if you can carry across a prepaid phone number to one not on prepaid?

It's on my business cards. Heh.

If I ever get cold called, I just interupt them and say "Sorry, not interested, please don't ring again."

I'm sure I've missed some great deals! Heh.

If your happy with Optus coverage and network performance then you might like to give Virgin Mobile a try. Pretty decent rates, same network. Porting your number shouldn't take long at all since Virgin just resells Optus airtime.

Any idea if you can carry across a prepaid phone number to one not on prepaid?

You didn't specify your network (I'm assuming you're Optus, too?) but I don't see why you can't do this. I've successfully done it twice with Telstra, and I honestly don't think anyone else's billing system could possibly be any more byzantine.

"$300"?

49 cap saver? so the call rate and sms rate come off the "$300" so really its 1.69 cents an sms?

edit: virgin seems to have shitty data caps. 20MB.. wtf

Edited by Athiril

Athrill i get phone calls form that number too and another one about once every 2 or 3 days and im not on prepaid, im on a cap plan... It pisses me off..

"$300"?

49 cap saver? so the call rate and sms rate come off the "$300" so really its 1.69 cents an sms?

edit: virgin seems to have shitty data caps. 20MB.. wtf

You get $300.00 in credit which covers calls, text, and data. Yes it's called the 49 cap plan (beats me why) But it costs $20 a month no contract, so even if at some time in the future they put the price up and you don't like it, you can bail immediately.

EDIT: Oh and you can, of course, port your number.

Edited by bowiee

"Data

(WAP over GPRS and Wireless Internet) $0.05 Per 10KB session"

Im assuming thats 0.05c off the "$300" not the $19.99.

So its 60MB... seems kinda.. lousy (if I were to soley use it for data).

Im assuming "wireless internet" is 3G, cause WAP/GPRS sucks.

I'd like to use a 3G phone as a model as well on the move.

All these plans hide the fact they suck :P

Edited by Athiril

"Data

(WAP over GPRS and Wireless Internet) $0.05 Per 10KB session"

Im assuming thats 0.05c off the "$300" not the $19.99.

So its 60MB... seems kinda.. lousy (if I were to soley use it for data).

Im assuming "wireless internet" is 3G, cause WAP/GPRS sucks.

I'd like to use a 3G phone as a model as well on the move.

All these plans hide the fact they suck :P

Yes it is 5c off the $300 it is all off the $300.00,calls,text,data 3G depends on if your phone is 3g capable. I don't use it for data usually I use it mainly for calls and text because I have a lappy for out and about. However IMHO if you can complain about getting $300.00 worth of credit for a lousy $20.00, then you will never be satisfied :D Edited by bowiee

its only 60MB... Im not complaining about text and calls.. i wont ever use that much... 3G dedicated modem rates are a rip off as it is... gah! :(

I want a decent data plan!

Might be cheaper for me to move to Asia I think :(

Vodafone just started offering $4.95 a month for 200MB of data 12 month contract) on top of call caps.

It all depends on how much you want to spend, SIM only caps start at $20 with a 6 month contract.

They have also released a $99 unlimited Cap, unlimited calls in Australia, unlimited SMS and MMS (including international), 1.5GB of data, a 32GB iPhone 3GS is free on this plan.

I use a company called Astron for international calls, I dial a local number first, it recognises my phone and I dial the international number, then receive a separate bill at home, it's the same as using a calling card but a lot easier.

Voda.

If you like prepaid, they're good. If you want a cap, they're also good. Been on a plan/cap for aaages, and have only been hassled twice - and even then they were doing surveys rather than trying to upsell me.

IMHO plans are the most convenient way to get a new handset also.

Edited by thesorehead

However IMHO if you can complain about getting $300.00 worth of credit for a lousy $20.00, then you will never be satisfied :D

It's not $300 worth of credit though, it's $20.

It's false value, they've simple scaled the cost of calls with the 'credit' to obfuscate the true value. For it to be $300 worth of value, they'd need to have a plan where you only get what you pay for. I checked, they don't.

I wonder how long it's going to be till $20 gets you $1000 worth of credit. Surely that'll be better than the competitors who are only offering $500 worth of credit for the same price!

However IMHO if you can complain about getting $300.00 worth of credit for a lousy $20.00, then you will never be satisfied :D

It's not $300 worth of credit though, it's $20.

It's false value, they've simple scaled the cost of calls with the 'credit' to obfuscate the true value. For it to be $300 worth of value, they'd need to have a plan where you only get what you pay for. I checked, they don't.

I wonder how long it's going to be till $20 gets you $1000 worth of credit. Surely that'll be better than the competitors who are only offering $500 worth of credit for the same price!

I would have to say you have the wrong end of the stick there, I used to be on a plan with optus which cost $20.00 with $15.00 worth of included calls (plans they don't seem to have anymore it's all caps now) and I regularly ran up a bill of $70.00 or more. Now with TPG the call costs are almost the same as the optus plan I was on, as are the text costs, but I am lucky to use $100.00 of my cap despite using my mobile more than I ever did. but if I use the $300.00 with say optus it would cost a hell of a lot more that $20.00.

On the TPG plan I can send approximately 1,200 text messages, or make about 350 calls. I know I am an old slow dino, but I also know you cannot do all that for $20.00 which you claim is the true value of the plan.

TPG call costs: $19.99 $300 Per Month - (call rate 40¢ per 30sec) (flag fall 35¢) (sms 25.3¢)

Optus: $19.00 up to $100 per month (call rate 92c per 60sec) (flag fall 35c) (sms 25c)

Edited by bowiee

I would have to say you have the wrong end of the stick there, I used to be on a plan with optus which cost $20.00 with $15.00 worth of included calls (plans they don't seem to have anymore it's all caps now) and I regularly ran up a bill of $70.00 or more. Now with TPG the call costs are almost the same as the optus plan I was on, as are the text costs, but I am lucky to use $100.00 of my cap despite using my mobile more than I ever did. but if I use the $300.00 with say optus it would cost a hell of a lot more that $20.00.

On the TPG plan I can send approximately 1,200 text messages, or make about 350 calls. I know I am an old slow dino, but I also know you cannot do all that for $20.00 which you claim is the true value of the plan.

TPG call costs: $19.99 $300 Per Month - (call rate 40¢ per 30sec) (flag fall 35¢) (sms 25.3¢)

Optus: $19.00 up to $100 per month (call rate 92c per 60sec) (flag fall 35c) (sms 25c)

It's an effective marketing ploy, exploiting the the fact that we tend to judge things on face value. If you were actually getting $300 worth of products for $20, TPG would be out of business.

What's actually happening is that communication costs have come down significantly (those Optus figures are way out of date by the way), so carriers have been able to pass savings onto consumers. But instead of simply reducing call rate figures, they're keeping them the same or even increasing them, and then telling you that you're getting much more value in order to charge more for excess usage. It's true that you're getting better value in some sense, but it's also quite deceptive.

For starters, the word cap no longer applies. If you exceed your allowance, you have to pay more.

Your $20 is actually getting you these rates:

2.6¢ per 30 seconds

2.3¢ flag fall

1.7¢ SMS

Which means you get approximately 350 minutes of talk time each month. For simplicities sake, I've calculated the time in 5 minutes calls. The difference in excess usage between selling it to you with actual values, and selling it to you as a cap plan with an attractive $300 'value' tag, is that if you were to talk for 400 minutes, it would cost you:

Honest plan: extra 10 x 5 minutes calls = $2.83

'Cap' Plan: extra 10 x 5 minutes calls = $43.50

See what I'm getting at? The larger the arbitrary 'value' figure compared to the actual price, the more you're paying for excess usage. It also completely obscures the true cost of calls/SMSs etc.

At the end of the day, the plans are still extremely good value compared to what they used to be. It just pisses me off is that they've found a way to charge ridiculous excess usage rates, under a misleading 'Capped' plan that is not capped at all, and everyone is fooled into thinking that they're getting significantly more than they pay for. It makes it unnecessarily difficult to compare different plans, and make an informed choice.

Edited by tastywheat

I see what you are getting at, and those amounts may well be what the telco is paying/should be charging, but the real world we live in is that all telcos charge the inflated amounts I quoted, regardless of what it actually costs. So in the real world we have to live with that and get the best value we can.

It's no good us sitting there and saying this is how it should be because it's not, and probably never will be. deceptive ? for sure, will it change ? I doubt it.

BTW with TPG they keep $20.00 aside in case you blow your cap so there are no over the top excess charges. (the optus figures were taken from their current plans)

I do not think that telcos will ever just charge you those rates with out the opportunity to make it look like they are doing you a favour. But does it really matter if they say "this is what $20 buys you" "or $20 gets you $300 in credit" it works out the same except for the deception.

We may not like it but it's the reality of the situation. :)

Edited by bowiee

I've actually moved over to a plan on Optus from those guys who call.

I'm paying $38/mnth. $300 in calls/text $150 optus to optus. 200mB + free youtube/some new site.

Just say that you're paying that much currently and you want a better deal.

They want your business.