Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Mac Dude

Fuels ain't fuels Sol...

Quick, shoot some spray grease through the clutch boot!

It might save it for a while!

Yeah, well, I'm changing the whole clutch anyway...............

I use only BP ultimate. But both my cars are intended to use it. Also both run shithouse on anything less. (I'd say the biggest factor being high compression)

edit: Oh I use premium in the raptor 660 bike

I service car #1 every 2,000 kms. (Purpose built race car til I got it, so I need to keep up the maintainance :S)

And the other one I would do every 10,000?

Edited by morgoth

Might try some higher stuff and see how it goes.

What, in the Morrie? Have you given it an engine built in the last 40 years, then?
Mate, the Morrie already gets the good stuff, heh. 98 Premium all the way. Along with nice leaded-replacement additive.
You what? That thing only has a compression ratio of 8.5:1...

Have not read the whole thread but I will let you know on my findings.

Mobil 8000 = BP Ultimate > caltex > Shell

All fuels I use are 98 octane.

I find that I receive the best fuel economy from Mobil and BP fuels. Caltex is so so and Shell, well, lets just say my coles vouchers get thrown out.

Not to discount Shell, their fuel I find provides the best punch to my engine although at a much higher fuel consumption.

As an example, here are my average figures from my spreadsheet

Mobil = avg 9.23l/100

BP = avg 9.42l/100

Caltex = avg 10.1l/100

Shell = avg 12.2l/100

Car is a Honda accord Euro cl9

Rob

Could I get a diesel powered car for, say...$1500?

Sure.

Ebay item numbers:

plus many more

But anything in that price range will be usually 4WDs or ute's. Only recently have small cars been getting diesel engines in them afaik, and sedans with them aren't old enough to be that cheap yet I think.

Are all diesel fuels the same across brands? I heard somewhere that there's only 1 refinery for diesel in Aus. Does it matter where you get it?

Could I get a diesel powered car for, say...$1500?

Sure.

Ebay item numbers:

plus many more

Good find, but I doubt any of those three would be better than my rolla. And the rolla would certainly be more economical than a 60 series cruiser.

Only recently have small cars been getting diesel engines in them afaik, and sedans with them aren't old enough to be that cheap yet I think.

Au contraire.

How much are those mercedes benz sedan diesels like the ones you used to see evil dictators drive around in, last I checked you could get diesel ones for around $2000 and they were pretty luxurious inside.

Edited by nesquick

I said that you can't go wrong with high octane, not put low octane fuel in high compressione engines. I know what octane is.

Yeah, you can go wrong: paying for octane rating you don't need.

She's an old engine and pings a bit too easily on the lower stuff.

Most sidevalve owners use the 98 stuff.

Oh yeah, awful combustion chamber design is a factor... but I thought the fuel back in the Morrie's day wasn't much chop anyway?

Interesting stuff Macca. We just bought a new Cruze (Great car) and been running it on BP because the service manager at work said to.

Might start watching some figues I think :)

Registering my disdain to the idea you can make a general feeling judgement on the different efficiencies of fuel.

Carry on.

*EDIT* Also, even though I know it's ludicrous, I want one of these.

Edited by tantryl

When I had a petrol EFI car, 95/96 was the most economical.

Now I have a mechanically injected diesel and I'm running 200:1 non-synthetic 2T oil with it which has taken approximately 2L/100kms off my consumption. So 1L of 2T oil = $9.50. 70L @ 200:1 = 335ml. So an additional $3.19 worth of 2T oil in a 70L tank gives me a net saving of approximately $8.75 per tank (diesel @ $1.27/L).

Read more about that here: http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=76845

When I had a petrol EFI car, 95/96 was the most economical.

Now I have a mechanically injected diesel and I'm running 200:1 non-synthetic 2T oil with it which has taken approximately 2L/100kms off my consumption. So 1L of 2T oil = $9.50. 70L @ 200:1 = 335ml. So an additional $3.19 worth of 2T oil in a 70L tank gives me a net saving of approximately $8.75 per tank (diesel @ $1.27/L).

Read more about that here: http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=76845

How would that go on a common rail diesel? I was planning on getting a DP power chip and mandrel bent exhaust for mine (nissan YD25) to get a bit better fuel economy but you say oil helps, interesting...

How would that go on a common rail diesel? I was planning on getting a DP power chip and mandrel bent exhaust for mine (nissan YD25) to get a bit better fuel economy but you say oil helps, interesting...

As I understand it, the 2T oil acts as a catalyst to the burning process in the combustion chamber, helping you get a more complete burn. A bit like the way Diesel-Gas systems work but no major increase in power.

Another advantage is that it keeps your fuel pump (not sure about common rail) well lubricated, combating the age of low sulfur diesel.

Edited by RenascentMisanthropy

I still have a standard fuel pump but to my knowledge (basic) thats where the similarities in fuel delivery between old style diesels and new ones end, I would just be worried about the fuel delivery from the common rail since its apparently much more precise than the older direct injection and can be adversely affected by minute changes in the fuel but I agree from reading what you linked to it seems to have only positive outcomes and helps with the longevity of the engine.

If I had the older ZD30 direct injection diesel in the older navara I would go and try it tomorrow but I am undecided, might quiz my mechanic next time I am there.

Edited by nesquick

We use E10 most of the time in our old rolla and if I can't get that good ole 91 either from Caltex or Mobil.

For the bike I use 91. I see no differance at all if I use anything higher than 91.