Sign in to follow this  
llmoose

What is raid

I have absolutely no idea what raid is apart from a way to set up your HDDs. I am building a PC that will be doing ALOT of downloading. Usually 20-30gb a night so I will be getting 1tb drives and adding them as needed. Should I look into a raid setup?

RAID is a way of setting up multiple drives in series or parallel so that you can either improve redundancy or performance (or both).

A lot of gamers/performance enthusiasts will use RAID0 which basically means getting two or more drives so that whenever you save data it saves half on one disk and half on the other (striping) so that when you read (and write) it it is quicker.

However if one of your drives fails or has an error, you lose all of your data, and the speed you gain is not generally considered worth the effort.

If you want a fast HDD I suggest buying a decent SSD and putting your OS/programs on it and having your data elsewhere.

For more information about the other flavours of RAID: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Edited by turro

What exactly are you going to be downloading? Important documents or birthday gifts from Uncle Torrence? RAID0 has always been untrustworthy in my mind, and unless the stuff you're going to be downloading is really important, RAID doesn't seem like the path you should be going down.

if the purpose of the drives is to download, I wouldn't bother raiding them. but mr turro summed up what raid 0 (the most common form of raid) is pretty well.

raid is something you do in wow.

lol

Edited by slickgrunt

the raid you wann look at is Raid5.

without going into technical terms, you sacrifice 1 drive out of 3, and if one of those 3 fails, no data is lost.

So far I have found windows server RAID to be the best.

Hardware raid is expensive (needs an ad-on card), linux software raid has a bunch of 'things to consider', but Win server can be hot swapped, is hardware independant, and ever so reliable.

The only down side I can say is, after a power out it takes about 2 days to resync the drives, (2TB, made of 3 1TB hdd's).

In reality the answer is: does mechanical HDD failure scare you?

If so, RAID5 is a good idea, if not, you're wasting money on peace of mind you dont need however you are vulerable if a drive dies. Raid 1 or 5 are all you wanna look at for storage though, google is your friend.

Interesting. Uncle utorrence passed away recently so I have been seeing alot more of Auntie Usenetty. We seem to have really developed a bond.

...20-30gb a night so I will be getting 1tb drives and adding them as needed...

That's a LOT of hard drive installations per night! :P

You better believe it! AAPT give me unlimited 8-8 internet so I make sure I god damn use it!

Interesting. Uncle utorrence passed away recently so I have been seeing alot more of Auntie Usenetty. We seem to have really developed a bond.

You had sex with your Auntie !! WTF !

I don't think you need to worry about raid at all. Just add drives as you need them - keep it simple.