bushi

Seagate or WD?

SG OR WD?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. SG OR WD?

• Seagate
    • Western Digital

So I think I'll have to send my drive away probably so need a new one.

I'm gonna get a 1.5TB but apparently WD is good a quality as Seagate these days. Or seagate's losing quality?

Pretty much, just want to know what I should be getting as my next drive in terms of lifespan.

Thanks.

Edited by bushi

Dosent really matter. But you should get a 1tb black edition WD drive very nice and fast!

All they have at umart for WD 1.5s is the Western Digital 1.5TB SATAII HDD 32M Cache Green Power

Can't see any Blacks. Is that the one?

I would get neither one of them. Instead I would get a Samsung drive I have been using them exclusively for awhile now and they are quiet, fast, and cheap. $133.00 from umart.

But if I have to pick between Seagate and WD, I would pick Seagate as I used them before my switch to Samsung and I found Seagate to be more reliable (at the time) than WD.

Edited by bowiee

I think the quality between Seagate, Samsung and WD are pretty much the same, and each have a range of sizes and speeds for whatever application you have.

My home server has all three brands.

I've had nothing but trouble with my WD drives. Although my mate swears by them and doesn't touch seagate. Its just personal preference.

Sweet as thanks for the replies.

Going by the posts and votes, I'm gonna stick with Seagate.

Have just ordered myself 2x 1.5TB drives from umart.

I've really learned my lesson with not backing my stuff up. Luckily it's not important stuff. Just media and shite.

Gonna keep one in the PC and the other one is gonna be a backup drive that I'll hook up every few months and clone across. I'll also backup with DVDs every 6 months or so.

The Hitachi 2TB drive looks solid. Only 400GB per platter instead of the nice fast 500GB per platter drives, but great value nonetheless.

I consider Seagate and WD to be the two leading brands of HDD. Both are of the highest quality and come with 5 year warranties.

Other brands such as Samsung seem to be competitive on price and performance, but don't have the track record to match.

As to your question go for which is cheaper, you won't be going wrong with either brand.

I consider Seagate and WD to be the two leading brands of HDD. Both are of the highest quality and come with 5 year warranties.

Other brands such as Samsung seem to be competitive on price and performance, but don't have the track record to match.

As to your question go for which is cheaper, you won't be going wrong with either brand.

Why is it then that alot of people seem to recommend the Samsung Spinpoint drives for new PC builds?

Everyone has their favourite brand, and will say they've "never had one fail".

WD, Seagate, Samsung, etc etc etc. They've all had their ups and downs, they all make decent drives, just get whichever your store has in stock.

There really isn't a difference.

...but back in the day man, Quantum was the shit. :P

Why is it then that alot of people seem to recommend the Samsung Spinpoint drives for new PC builds?

Because they seem fine.

I didn't say they were worse, just that they didn't have the same track record as Seagate and WD do, since both of those companies have been making harddrives for far, far longer.

I have two WD drives here, each less than a month old (going by the factory manufacture date on the label) and one is perfectly fine, the other is dodgy.

I have had both brands fail on me but have had much better success with the Seagate drives. That said I recently bought 2 of the WD Raid drives that are rated for 24/7 use..... So no real preference :) Just be aware that whatever drive you buy will fail at some point so make sure you have a backup of your important stuff :)

I've only ever had WD and Seagate drivers. I've had both fail, so TBH; same shit, different smell.

I now use WD Caviar Black drives and am very happy.

another vote for samsung. Several reasons:

1. Ive never had one FAIL, bad sectors once or twice, but never fail.

2. A year or so ago there was a big survey on drives, samsung came back with the shortest warranty, but longest life span and cheapest cost

(id prefer to have them NOT break then have a long waranty)

3. They run on average 7 degrees cooler than any of the other brands

4. They havent had any major firmware issues (unlike seagate, just google around ><) nor 'bad batches' (look up WD last year) in the last few years

5. They make a 'low power' 'eco friendly' and 'cool' drive, that IS NOT crippled like the WD GREEN.

another vote for samsung. Several reasons:

1. Ive never had one FAIL, bad sectors once or twice, but never fail.

2. A year or so ago there was a big survey on drives, samsung came back with the shortest warranty, but longest life span and cheapest cost

(id prefer to have them NOT break then have a long waranty)

3. They run on average 7 degrees cooler than any of the other brands

4. They havent had any major firmware issues (unlike seagate, just google around ><) nor 'bad batches' (look up WD last year) in the last few years

5. They make a 'low power' 'eco friendly' and 'cool' drive, that IS NOT crippled like the WD GREEN.

id disagree with u on point 4.

long version:

Back when i was in highschool around 2003/4, i was a assistant for the school techs for a few months (punishment for a mishap that involved everyone getting unlimited print credit..... novell netware: most insure way to run a windows network!), but mainly i help'd them fix the holes in the network, but did do some hardware installs/upgrades), when we upgraded the servers, the school got a really great offer on heap of samsung 20gb hdd's (perfect for client pc's, and the techs wanted a bunch to play around with Raid on the servers), out of 210 drives, 140 where sent back after 3 weeks. No bad sectors on the drive, just the controller/firmware kept dieing.

around 1.5 /2 years ago, i bought a few samsung spinpoint 60g/120g drives (which where all the rage around that time), both died after 3months usuage, problem was controller board again, different supplier, same brand, different model drives.

i have 4x 200gb pata 100mb/s Western digital drives sitting in my 2 pc's here, and another 4 sitting in my sisters pc in adelaide, all 8 drives have been in use for well over 5 years (warranty was for 3years), i can say with 95% confidence, they have been run for atleast 12hrs of a day or more, everyday since i bought them, and the S.M.A.R.T stats show the drives at 99% health (due to spin up time out, was load testing a PSU with 10 hdds, 4 dvdburners, heavily overclocked cpu+gpu when it happened :P).

i also have 6x 200gb seagate pata 100mb/s models, that i bought at the same time as the western digital ones, all are still running in my home server box, S.M.A.R.T stats show 3/6 drives have 2 bad sectors at the end of the drive, but everything else is perfect. im pretty happy with how my WD/seagate drives has performed and lasted.

short version:

+1 seagate/western digital, both top brands. personally, i wouldnt touch another samsung, based on the ones ive previously used either at home, at work, and lastly the ones back in highschool

WD, Seagate, Samsung, etc etc etc. They've all had their ups and downs, they all make decent drives, just get whichever your store has in stock.

we have a winner!

currently i would go with samsung f3 for performance\silence\value or wd black 1tb for the 5 year warranty and fast seeks

if its just a storage drive go with whatever is best $ per gb and as with any drive make sure you have a backup

I graduated 05 and worked at the school as a tech myself for 03/04/05 and yeah, we used samsungs too and didnt have issues.

Hell, out quantum fireballs still worked, lol.

Ive used both brands never had a problem with either :) so as dasa said go for cheapest per gb :) just my 2 cents worth

All my Quantum drives still work, some will be almost 20 years old soon.

yeah, 500MB!

heh

People used to rubbish Maxtor too

yet I had a 120GB Maxtor drive in an external case for many years, it suffered a lot of abuse being thrown about over the years, yet it still works.