Seagate or WD?

SG OR WD?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. SG OR WD?

• Seagate
    • Western Digital

heh

People used to rubbish Maxtor too

yet I had a 120GB Maxtor drive in an external case for many years, it suffered a lot of abuse being thrown about over the years, yet it still works.

They used to rubbish Maxtor drives for a good reason, they were crap.

All the modern drives should just be seagates now though so I doubt there is much difference.

Go with whichever is cheaper at the time/store you buy tbh. Personally I've had WD drives for the last 10 years, they've always been fine, but I'm sure if I'd had Seagates for the last 10 years I could boast of similar success. The 80GB IDE I bought yonks ago is still running strong in my little brother's A64 machine. I just bought a 1TB black and it seems a little noisy when seeking although I didn't have any grommits handy when I mounted it up, so I'll grab some when I can and see if that fixes it.

At the end of the day both Samsung, WD, SG all make wonderfull hard drives. They will all fail at some point so I try to decide on a drive to suit my purpose, and make sense of things that we've learned with our time using these drives. IMO: 1. Backup your important/irreplaceable data. 2. If you want it to last or be reliable go for a drive with cool temps and/or a large warranty. 3. For large storage (ISOs, movies, video, music, etc.) find a drive with lower power usage and a good dollar per gigabyte ratio. 4. For gaming/operating system drive/high performance find a faster drive.

I've always had Seagate but have just gone with a WD1000FALS (Cavier Black 1TB) drive for my OS and games. It has one of the best read speeds for a normal 7200rpm hard drive without using excess power or being overly expensive ($199 @ PCCG).

I've bought around 10 hard drives in the last few years, mostly in capacities of over 500GB. The only one that has failed has been a 500GB WD, manufactured in May 2006 I think it said. Of course this was the one drive I really needed for my everyday uses, containing all my documents, music, pictures, etc. Basically everything that isn't video. Thankfully, I had the forethought to have most of this fairly recently backed up.

The rest of my disks are Samsung and Seagate. The two 1TB Seagates I bought about a year ago are the fastest I've ever used, I think they transfer at over 100MB/s or so, to each other. I think the model number has something like 133KS in it or something...

Since the death of that 500, I want to replace it with preferably a 2TB, but probably a 1.5TB for price. I've never used a Hitachi before, but have no problems giving one a go.

I've used most of the major brands over the years. I used to be a fan of Seagate but I got stuffed around with firmware issues on a few drives so I've been opting for WD drives ever since.

WD gets my vote.

samsung get my vote entirely. Great drives. When i pick one up they feel much more solid than a WD drive. I might still consider buying a seagate, but i'd never go a WD.

heh

People used to rubbish Maxtor too

yet I had a 120GB Maxtor drive in an external case for many years, it suffered a lot of abuse being thrown about over the years, yet it still works.

They used to rubbish Maxtor drives for a good reason, they were crap.

All the modern drives should just be seagates now though so I doubt there is much difference.

Quantum's HDD division got eaten by Maxtor, which then got eaten by Seagate.

The first few models after the Quantum/Maxtor merger were pretty clearly Quantum Fireball ST family HDDs with Maxtor logos on em.

My Maxtor 120GB drive is siting on the shelf now cos I swapped it for a 400GB one. It outlived it's useful life.

Man I'm so fuckin' lazy.

Still haven't put in a warranty job for this yet......

Drives are cheap and we are lazy!

They certainly are cheap when you realise what's in 'em. I took apart my dead WD 500 the other day, and was astounded at the level of engineering you can get for ~$50. I was particularly impressed with the arm/head component, all cut from a single chunk of aluminium.

Hitachi are a big name in hard drives. Significantly bigger than WD.

I'd give 'em a shot.

I've got Hitachi's ATM, I've got nothing to complain about.

my 6 x 200gb hitachi served me for 3 years. They spent maybe... 1 week off, in that time.

my 6 x 200gb hitachi served me for 3 years. They spent maybe... 1 week off, in that time.

Maybe that's why they've lasted? Staying constantly at 7200rpm or whatever might be better for them than spinning up and down every day?

I just bourght an WD hard drive and its great, and WD also have a great cloning program (on their website) which was the only cloning programe that actually worked for me :)

I'm a fan of the new model WD 1Tb Black drives. I'm glad I got mine.

Shit I'm still running two 74gb raptors in raid0 :P

I like WD, but had no issues with seagate either, I own few drives from both.

I prefer both over maxtor or samsung though.

I prefer hard drives to floppy drives.

Well said good sir.

I still have two WD Raptor X's in RAID0 . . . haven't died in about 3 years of constant use :P

Need to get some drives for my movies though - methinks I might go for a few WD Green drives because they seem to have better $/GB at the moment - I'm not overly bothered if my movies and television go if they fail, considering if I wanted to watch them again I could just download them - all my important stuff is in external storage (there isn't much).

I'm a seagate man myself. Although i do use WD externals. I haven't used a Seagate external but i have never had a WD one fail on me. All HDD's are a loyalty thing to me. I've always used Seagates, they've never let me down.

Plus it also looks good if you've got all of one brand in your system. simply looks neat

Both are quite good but I have always used WD drives and not a one has died on me...running 4 in RAID 0 atm so I'm depending on that XD