bushi

Seagate or WD?

SG OR WD?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. SG OR WD?

• Seagate
    • Western Digital

Seagate gets my vote. I have one of the 500GB 7200.11's which wasn't affected by the bad firmware issue. Runs great. And they usually last me yonkers, unlike WD which have let me down. My second drive is a WD caviar 320GB... and when it seeks it sounds like a large drain. I would also put my approval on Hitachi. However Samsung I've also had big failure rates with them.

I repair computers for a large OEM desktop and notebook manufacturer. Most of our HDD's are either Seagate or WD, and we generally repair computers up to 3 years old. Each tech in our RC replaces an average 3-4 HDD's a day. So I've got a broader view on this subjects than someone who's bought 5 yum cha branded HDD's in the past 10 years that all still work perfectly.

One thing all techs in the RC agree on is that overall, most brands are exactly the same. Each company releases solid reliable drives that will happily run for a few years with no problem. Each company also releases the very occasional POS model that should've never made it to production.

When drives do fail we use the warranty that comes with them and get our money back. HDD manufacturers make no money by cutting costs and producing unreliable drives. It's in their best interests to make their drives as reliable as possible.

If you're looking to buy a HDD get one based on the specifications you're after. Brand names are meaningless.

Seagate gets my vote. I have one of the 500GB 7200.11's which wasn't affected by the bad firmware issue. Runs great. And they usually last me yonkers, unlike WD which have let me down. My second drive is a WD caviar 320GB... and when it seeks it sounds like a large drain. I would also put my approval on Hitachi. However Samsung I've also had big failure rates with them.

See, I've had the opposite experience - one Seagate 7200.9 failed on me, since then had nothing but WD drives and never had one fail. Basically you'll be fine with either - but when you have one die on you it'll change your mind permanently.

See, I've had the opposite experience - one Seagate 7200.9 failed on me, since then had nothing but WD drives and never had one fail. Basically you'll be fine with either - but when you have one die on you it'll change your mind permanently.

They all can make the odd lemon, but what makes a persons mind up is if they get one or not.

But I will stick with Seagate, as they have never put me wrong... and somehow, that gives me comfort.