Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Waltish

An anecdotal post on HDD for PS3.

Not long after I got my PS3 I replaced he HD with a Segate Momentus 7200 rpm been using that for nearly a year and a half .

It did get hotter than the original and the fan in the PS3 spun faster to make up for it, I didn't really notice much else different I suppose its because I didn't use the PS3 much before I replaced the drive.

I didn't choose the 7200 drive for any particular reason it was just what they had on hand at my local OEM/tech place and it was 160GB.

I have recently put in an OEM Segate Momentus 500GB 5400rpm ST9500325AS.. This one http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/Review/153922,...ntus-500gb.aspx.

I have notice some things , In Oblivion the load time are insignificantly slower than with the faster drive , but Oblivion runs noticeably smoother, I think that is because the PS3 is running substantially cooler and maybe also because the HDD controller in the PS3 is more able to deal with the way the slower drive sends the data .

They are both sata 2.0 and I had them both without the jumper so they both ran at the full 3GB/s but it think the 7200 had a stronger burst speed capability , I am guessing this from the way the load progress bars in Oblivion ran, with the fast drive the bar would zip along then pause then zip again , with the slower drive they progress slower but more continuously.

Rather than blathering on for Ages I will get to the point of this thread , IMHO I think the 5400 rpm drives are better for the PS3 than the 7200 rpm drives , any speed gain is insignificant , even when I backed up 80GB to the fast drive then restored to the slow drive (back up device was an external HDD in a USB 2.0 caddy) they took the the same time to complete (within 2 mins of each other).

But the slower drive is cooler thus the PS3 is quieter and I think runs better, I went with the 500GB drive in prep for getting PlayTV ... If I have any dramas with the ST9500325AS re: PlayTV recording/playback I will post about it.

Seriously at this time I don't recommend wasting bucks on a higher RPM drive.

Interesting. I picked up oblivion a little while ago and was wondering if the poor frame rate was acceptable back when it was released. I have also swapped out my drive, so maybe its not normal/

However, I doubt the framerate (which I guess is what you are reffering to as smoothness) would not be affected by heat - when components get hot they dont slow down. They work or they dont - but the burst read speed makes sense if you are referring to when it pops up the "loading area" prompt, however I hardly get that myself. Did oblivion do a hdd install at all? I cant remember, but I thought it was thrashing the blu ray drive more than anything.

Interesting. I picked up oblivion a little while ago and was wondering if the poor frame rate was acceptable back when it was released. I have also swapped out my drive, so maybe its not normal/

However, I doubt the framerate (which I guess is what you are reffering to as smoothness) would not be affected by heat - when components get hot they dont slow down. They work or they dont - but the burst read speed makes sense if you are referring to when it pops up the "loading area" prompt, however I hardly get that myself. Did oblivion do a hdd install at all? I cant remember, but I thought it was thrashing the blu ray drive more than anything.

Oblivion doesn't say its doing an install but it does , just over five gigs worth.

If the processor has some kind of heat mitigation, something like thermal throttling it would slow down when too hot.. I don't know if the PS3 Cell does that, but frame rate is not what I mean with running smoother.

When you run a long way up a road or through the bush you get the loading area rigmarole ... with the faster drive this was noticeably more jerky and happened more frequently than with the slower drive, maybe heat maybe the drive controller, I don't know.

This is not an empirical backed by test results post, its just me saying what I observed through my own experience of having gone from using a faster drive for over a year to a slower one, which I don't think many folks have done, If it helps someone with their decision on which sort of drive to get, that would be a good thing {:)

Edited by Waltish

Right, got it. If I wasnt so lazy I would put my old hdd back in to test, but I really havent noticed any stuttering on the loading area bits on mine yet anyway.

Could also be fragmentation of the data on the drive, considering your new one is fresh, maybe that has something to do with it?

Yeah, I swapped out my drive last year, from 40GB to 250GB...

Went with 5400RPM, because of there was reportedly little speed improvement, and haven't had a problem.

-A-

I have heard that 7200RPM drives did not make a difference to the HDD access of the PS3's hard drive at all. So a SSD might be the same. Time will tell though.

I have heard that 7200RPM drives did not make a difference to the HDD access of the PS3's hard drive at all. So a SSD might be the same. Time will tell though.

That would be an interesting thing to find out , SSD might not get too hot {:)

I just went and had a look around found this report on putting an SSD into a PS3 slim http://au.gamespot.com/features/6192258/index.html

And a utube review of SSD V HDD

{:)

Edited by Waltish

Pretty clearly the PS3 bottlenecks at the optical drive for disk-to-drive installs, and and is less affected by network-to-drive installs, where the SSD sees benefit. Loading from local saves does see improvement, but not really a $ value propisition.