Sign in to follow this  
ch3ssnut

Wireless and standard internet on 1 modem & router

Ok so in my house, i have my desktop computer, and parents and sister have a laptop, so theres 2 laptops and we have a wireless setup. i had a WG311v2 netgear wireless card and recently upgraded to windows 7, only to find out that it doesnt work with windows 7. so i was wondering is there any way, with an adapter or something that i can have one ethernet cable coming out of the modem into my PC, and one into the wireless access point so i can have internet at the same time as everyone else in the house.

Cheers chessnut

What sort of modem/router do you have? I'd say it would work. Most likely your current problem is driver related issues. I had the same when I swapped to win7 - I have an outdated dlink wirless card which doesn't work with win7. Running a fuck off long cable to my room fixed the problem though :p

Cheers

What's the router and modem dude? Make and model.

If the setup has been done properly re the modem and router then connecting direct to the modem should not give you internet as the modem should be in bridge mode. That is the router should be doing the connection stuff.

If there is spare network ports on the wireless router then just plug an ethernet cable in to it and you will be off.

if the modem is still in normal mode then connecting to a spare ethernet port on the modem will give you internet access.

This means the wireless rout is in either AP mode (basically like a switch) or those who connect to it are double natting, which is a very very good way to have a fucked up internet connection.

i didnt set it up so im not sure how it all works adn everything. but there is a few cords coming out of the for phone and internet o fcourse. the internet one goes into the modem (Siemens SpeedStream 4200) then a yellow cord coming out of that and into the wireless access point (Netgear Wg602 v3). and no the access point doesn't have any other ethernet cable sockets.

i didnt set it up so im not sure how it all works adn everything. but there is a few cords coming out of the for phone and internet o fcourse. the internet one goes into the modem (Siemens SpeedStream 4200) then a yellow cord coming out of that and into the wireless access point (Netgear Wg602 v3). and no the access point doesn't have any other ethernet cable sockets.

As the Netgear appears to be just an AP then the modem is working like a normal modem. So you could fit a 4, 5 or 8 port switch between the Speedstream and the Netgear.

Quickest way to check the modem is to disconnect the Netgear AP and plug a computer straight in to the modem with an ethernet cable and see if you still get internet access.

So with a switch it would be network cable from modem to switch then another network cable to the wireless AP. Plug other PCs directly in to the spare ports on the switch when you need to.

Of course you could just buy a new wireless adaptor that is Win7 compatible.

My preference would be a whole new 4 port wireless modem router as it keeps the device count down and simplifies the network. The more devices the more likely there is to be a problem. Networks really are one of those things that benefits from the KIS principle.

I like my TP-Link TD-W8920G, seems to chug a way day in day out without a hiccup, however using a different model modem can mean your ISP support will not help with troubleshooting and setup so keep the SpeedStream handy for this.

Oh BTW I really hope you have at least WPA security on the Netgear AP, unless you want people stealing your internets.

If all this is beyond you then you need to either do some reading or get someone in who knows about this stuff. Preferably not the neighbours kid "who is good with those computery thingys".

Get the TP-Link. That secondhand one is an total unknown quantity and if it is too old may not do Auto MDI/MDIX which would be a pain.

So connect an ethernet cable from the modem to any port on the switch then another ethernet cable from another port on the switch to the Netgear AP port.

Any PCs that need wired connections can then be connected to the other 2 ports on the switch.