myquickacc

Will my DREAM PC work?

Hi, I'm a young PC Authority reader and hopefully an Atomican soon!

I've decided to bust my old PC which fails badly (made it the best I could with programs ect. but can't upgrade it).

These are the parts which I've decided to complete my DREAM PC:

Central Processing Unit: Intel Core i7 965-Extreme

Motherboard: GA-X58A-UD7

Enclosure: Antec Twelve Hundred

Random Access Memory: Corsair TR3XG1866C9DF 6GB

Graphic*s Processing Unit (GPU): ATI XFX 4770

Keyboard: Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard

Mouse: Microsoft Sidewinder X8 Mouse

Cooling System: Noctua NH-U12P SE2

Power Supply Unit: Antec TruePower Quattro 1200

Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB

Optical Drive: LGGGW-H2OL

Audio Card: Auzen X-FI Forte 7.1

Headset: Plantronics Gamecon 777

Monitor: Asus VK266H 26inch

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate

I'm probably going to have to get a full demagnetized computer building kit as well.

I'm wondering if my PSU has enough power to power my DREAM PC.

Also, I checked the requirements/specifications on the LG website and it says the LGGGW-H2OL isn't compatible with Windows 7 o.O

If you guys can just reply that we be very good!

Thanks!

Do not buy the 965-Extreme waste of money. i7 920 will be more then suffice.

Save alot of cash getting the cheaper CPU and get a 5870 over the 4770.

I'm Australian and I know that I can't buy all of them off Amazon.

-

I'll think about changing the CPU because I could wait until the 6 core Westmere Intel CPUs come out.

Also ATI/AMD might make a 5970X2 and then I would probably 3 way Crossfire it =p

Central Processing Unit: Intel Core i7 965-Extreme : Intel Core i7 920 Processor LGA1366 2.66GHz 8MB Cache CPU Internet Price: $385.00

Motherboard: GA-X58A-UD7 : Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 X58+ICH10R QPI 6.4GT/s DDR3 2000 Internet Price: $365.00

Enclosure: Antec Twelve Hundred

Random Access Memory: Corsair TR3XG1866C9DF 6GB : G Skill 6G(3x2G) DDR3 PC16000 Trident Internet Price: $229.00

Graphic*s Processing Unit (GPU): ATI XFX 4770 : XFX HD5870 1G DDR5 Dual DVI DL HDMI DP PCIEx16 w Game Coupon Internet Price: $570.00

Keyboard: Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard : Razer Lycosa Backlit Keyboard Mirror Ed Internet Price: $135.00

Mouse: Microsoft Sidewinder X8 Mouse : Razer DeathAdder V2 Infrared High Precision Gaming Mouse 3500DPI Internet Price: $88.00

Cooling System: Noctua NH-U12P SE2

Power Supply Unit: Antec TruePower Quattro 1200 " Corsair HX-750 ATX Power Supply, 140mm Fan Internet Price: $211.00

Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB : Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 SATA II 7200RPM 32M Internet Price: $105.00

Optical Drive: LGGGW-H2OL : Pioneer BDR-205BK 12X Blu-Ray Writer Drive SATA Black OEM Internet Price: $244.50 OR, Pioneer SATA DVR218L 22X DVD Black & Cyberlink Internet Price: $38.50

Audio Card: Auzen X-FI Forte 7.1

Headset: Plantronics Gamecon 777

Monitor: Asus VK266H 26inch

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate

And add, Leadtek PxDVR3200H Hybrid TV Tuner HDTV/AC3 PCI-E Internet Price: $95.00

That's my 2c worth off the top of my head :) (prices Umart)

Edited by bowiee

@llmoose It's just very unbalanced. This is what I'd get:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 - $389

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM (3x2GB) DDR3 - $219

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 - $359

GPU: 2 x PowerColor Radeon HD5770 - $398 (you could get three of these, but you'd have to overclock the CPU a fair bit)

Heatsink: Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme Heatsink Rev. C - $69

CPU fan: Scythe Ultra Kaze 120mm Fan 2000rpm - $22

SSD: 2 x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD - $678 (put these in RAID0 for your OS + apps)

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB WD1001FALS - $124

LCD: BenQ V2400ECO - $399 (I chose this because it was LED backlit, you'll have to look into it)

Case: SilverStone Raven RV02 - $195

PSU: Corsair HX-750 - $225

BD-RW: Pioneer BDR-205 - $295 (if you plan to read/write Blu-Ray discs)

Audio: ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe - $285

Headphones: Plantronics Gamecom 777 - $85

KB: Logitech G19 - $269

Mouse: Microsoft SideWinder X8 - $94

Total: $4234 @ PCCG

I put 2 x 5770 because there's no stock of any other card. That should last you a while anyway.

Do you really need the fancy audio card and keyboard? It'd save you a fair bit of money.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Thanks for the feedback!

I really appreciate you guys taking the time and effort to help me out!

Since you guys keep on saying to get the Intel Core i7 920, I'll wait for Westmere and make up my mind.

I'll also think about changing the motherboard because Westmere could have a different architecture.

But do I really need a CPU fan?

Because shouldn't the Antec Twelve Hundred be enough?

You guys really think that all I need is 750W?

80% of that is 600W.

I believe I should still get the Antec TruePower Quattro 1200W.

THE ARE LOTS OF GUIDES ON THE INTERNET ON HOW TO BUILD A COMPUTER BUT THEY ONLY COVER THE MAIN PARTS LIKE

THE CPU, MOTHERBOARD, RAM, OS AND THE FINAL TEST OF WILL IT WORK. NO PSU, CABLES, OPTICAL DRIVE ECT..

I would just like to get a cheap hard drive, a SSD was my first choice but I only used about 30GB

on my old computer, PC Authority has this on its A-List as a second choice (1st choice: Seagate Barracude 7200.12 (1TB)

It's just hard drives are cheaper..

I would like to buy the Microsoft Sidewinder X8 Mouse, but I'll think about changing the Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard

to a Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Keyboard..

G-Skill RAM looks like a high performance RAM company as you say but both Atomic KitLogs have Corsair RAM in the Dream PC section. I want the best RAM.

Are you sure the Asus audio card will be good enough for the headset? Or is the integrated onboard Realtek audio card sufficient for the

Plantronics Gamecon 777?

I only need just a basic bang for buck CD-ROM player (don't know how to install it tho but we'll discuss that later) for the installation cds.

I don't even know how to burn and I don't watch movies.

I want Windows 7 Ultimate for my OS. BitLocker and XP Mode I need!

I reckon the 4770 is a good bang for buck GPU because the 5970 is $649 on Amazon but the 4770 is $114.14 but Windows 7 can use DirectX 11.

I think I saw a over-clocking guide on the forums here so I'll check that out soon.

The Asus VK266H I have to say is a bit far but I can spend it. I definitely want a 24inch+ monitor and to have 2ms grey to grey response time.

and of course with good picture quality

I'll definitely try to over-clock the CPU if I can and if I have good cooling.

I would try to get liquid cooling but I have no idea how to install that and I don't think much people do either except for the people like you =p

Edited by myquickacc

If I was given $5K heres what I would buy.

System total $3430 from pccasegear.com.au

-i7 920

-EVGA SLI LE mobo

-6gb OCZ 12800 platinum ram

-2x HD5870's

-Corsair HX850 PSU

-Gskill falcon SII 128 GB SSD

-WD black 1 TB

-Lian Li PC-50WB case

-Corsair H50 all in one cpu cooler

-Logitech X540 speakers

-Win 7 home premium 64bit

get yourself a beutiful screen like a dell 3008wfp don't pay that retail price though, wait till they are on special for $1800 then use the racq 15% off voucher to make it $1540ish

http://www1.ap.dell.com/au/en/home/monitor...s&cs=audhs1

Let me giuve you some advice though, a $2000 machine will do exactly what you want also ;)

Edited by nesquick

1.Gulftown will work in current X58 boards. Stock cooler will do unless your overclocking.

2. 750 watts will be fine my current rig in my specs runs of a 750watt PSU

3. dunno what your on about

4. HDD of choice would either be the Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 SATA II 7200RPM or the WD 1tb Black edition.

5. Whats wrong with the good old g15?

6. Corsair ram is great but you dont need to spend that much on ram for good performance currently G-Skill is making some of the best stuff around ( I do question atomics kitlog sometimes too)

7. Integrated will be fine for a headset like that I would get the Xonar if I was spending over $200 on headphones.

8. Any DVD ROM will do just pick one up LG/Poineer/ASUS all around $60

9. If you want Ultimate so be it make sure you dont fuck up with bitlocker other wise your fucked XP mode is meh what do you need to run?

10. With a PC and budget like this your wasting your time looking at a 4770 get a 5870 or 5970 as we suggested.

11. The Asus VK266H is a great screen I want one myself

12. You dont want water cooling if you dont know how to build a PC then dont even bother looking at it. Air is more then ample.

Edit: Fuck you nesquick :P

I just build the exact same PC and you posted it!

Edited by mudg3

Guys, I can't find a optical drive for all my installation cds which is compatible with Windows 7!

Can someone help?

I don't need it to play dvds, blu-rays or burn them, I just need a optical drive for all my hardwares installation cds!

Guys, I can't find a optical drive for all my installation cds which is compatible with Windows 7!

Can someone help?

I don't need it to play dvds, blu-rays or burn them, I just need a optical drive for all my hardwares installation cds!

then what you need is any old dvd\bluray drive

Can someone help?

WTF arnt they compatible with windows 7?

What did you buy?

Can someone help?

You should not be spending more than $1500 on a computer.

I know I could get my old optical drive which will do what I need but:

IT ISN'T COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS 7 AND I CAN'T FIND ANY OTHER OPTICAL DRIVES

WHICH WORK WITH WINDOWS 7, DOES ANYONE KNOW ANY OPTICAL DRIVES WHICH

WORK WITH WINDOWS 7?

Thanks!

It's an optical drive. It doesn't need any drivers. It's compatible with any version of Windows.

Tantryl speaks the truth.

OMG!

THANK YOU!

I'll make a post tomorrow on my updated list of the components of my DREAM PC.

Thanks to everyone and people yet to post to taking the time and effort to help me

or even read this =p

Thanks dude(s)!