myquickacc

Will my DREAM PC work?

So far, I agree with Tantryl.

Spending other people's money may be fun, but staying at the front of the performance game is for reviewers and unemployed millionaires.

I just built a machine for 2 grand, which happily does everything I ask of it. If you include the SSDs and the Monitor I did not buy, it would be 3K.

It'll last me at least another 2 years, with minor upgrades.. probably 3-4 is there is no serious infrastructure changes.

I agree with you aswell VannA, but this guy seems pretty set on some of the parts already and he wants to spend 5k

Shit, I just spent $2,500 on an entire system

i7 860 cpu

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4

XFX ATI Radeon 5770

Corsair 4GB kit @ 1333 MHz

OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD for the OS

WD Caviar Black 500GB for games and junk

Corsair 750Watt PSU

Samsung 23" P2350 Crystal Black Screen

Coolmaster HAF 932 Case

Pioneer DVD RW

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

8 Way Surge Power board

Logitech X-530 surround

G15 keyboard

G7 mouse

And it fast, quiet, cool and does everything I want. I'm thinking of doing Xfire 5770's this christmas just to finish it off

Thanks Negotiator, that's the type of advice I want:

Dont bother with the 5970 (HOT AND LOUD) just get the 5870 and if its not enough get a second one or wait and see what Nvidia bring out[.]

Stay with that motherboard.

I've made some changes to the current list now:

Central Processing Unit (CPU): Intel Core i7 920 (I'll see what new features Intel Core i9 has before I'll make up my mind)

Motherboard: GA-X58A-UD7

Enclosure: Antec Twelve Hundred

Random Access Memory: Corsair TR3XG1866C9DF 6GB

Graphic*s Processing Unit (GPU): ATI HD5870

Keyboard: My old Microsoft Keyboard

Mouse: Microsoft Sidewinder X8 Mouse

Cooling System: Noctua NH-U12P SE2

Power Supply Unit (PSU): -- (I'll ask for help on this after I figure out what parts I'm buying)

Hard Drive(HDD)/Solid State Drive(SSD): --- (The best one out there, please tell me what it is - 128GB please but if it's 256GB, I'll take it)

Optical Drive: My old LG optical drive

Audio Card: Motherboard's onboard audio card

Headset: Plantronics Gamecon 777

Speakers: My old Altec Lansing speakers

Monitor: Asus VK266H 26inch

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

IMPORTANT

CPU fan: Do I need a CPU fan? Isn't the Noctua NH U12P SE2 sufficient?

If it helps, I'll get one (please suggest a good one)

*Subtotal DOESN'T include: CPU, Keyboard, PSU, Optical Drive,Speakers and the CPU fan.*

SUBTOTAL:$2012.03

So please comment on the HDD/SSD and CPU fan.

Thanks!

Edited by myquickacc

As far as cooling goes, Noctua U12P SE2 will do fine, as to weather you need one or not depends I on a few things like how hot your system runs, how much air flow your case has, ambient room temperature, if you want to over clock or not. Personally I like to run an after market cooler and I would do so even if i didn't over clock. The good thing about them is if its a good cooler you can use it on your next rig..

Thanks Bundywow!

I'll wait for more tips to come and see what

the others think about the CPU fan.

Nonetheless,

please still post any GOOD SSD's or CPU fans

that you know of.

Thanks!

So when "Negotiator" and "Bundywow" suggest you change a component of your "Dream Machine" it's all good hey ? But now I am confused, because others like "nesquick" and "tantryl" have suggested the same thing for several of your parts to improve your "dream machine" but their advice changes your "dream machine" from what you are determined to buy.

Not much point asking for advice then when it is given, you dismiss it all, right up to the last couple of posts. It's hard to help people with builds when they have already made up their minds on what they are going to buy.

So all this is either a waste of time for all concerned, or you have more money than sense, and are determined to throw said money away. Sorry if this sounds harsh but it's how it comes across.

Edited by bowiee

So when "Negotiator" and "Bundywow" suggest you change a component of your "Dream Machine" it's all good hey ? But now I am confused, because others like "nesquick" and "tantryl" have suggested the same thing for several of your parts to improve your "dream machine" but their advice changes your "dream machine" from what you are determined to buy.

Not much point asking for advice then when it is given, you dismiss it all, right up to the last couple of posts. It's hard to help people with builds when they have already made up their minds on what they are going to buy.

So all this is either a waste of time for all concerned, or you have more money than sense, and are determined to throw said money away. Sorry if this sounds harsh but it's how it comes across.

bowiee,

I wish myquickacc would listen to you, nesquick and tantryl as I'm new to this stuff. I only got into PC gaming 2 years ago and built my first PC 5 weeks ago so I'm hardly experienced like you guys are.

I only suggested to use or not use that stuff from what I have read (5970 / 5870). I can say to use the SSD as I do have one and DAMN they are seriously fast.

Cheers

bowiee,

I wish myquickacc would listen to you, nesquick and tantryl as I'm new to this stuff. I only got into PC gaming 2 years ago and built my first PC 5 weeks ago so I'm hardly experienced like you guys are.

I only suggested to use or not use that stuff from what I have read (5970 / 5870). I can say to use the SSD as I do have one and DAMN they are seriously fast.

Cheers

Please don't misunderstand me I did not mean to infer your advice was not valid in your previous post. Just that "myquickacc" seemed to be saying that your advice to change a particular part was acceptable, but at the same time when others suggest the same thing it is "not acceptable because you are changing my dream computer to something else" That's where I become confused :)

Well bowiee all we can do is offer up our thoughts on the parts, if said advice is not taken I am not going to lose sleep over it.

Ok, I'm sorry if I've offended you by any means,

BUT I SERIOUSLY LISTEN TO YOU GUYS.

I need this computer for:

Last me 3+ years

Gaming

All the casual stuff

But now I want you guys to say what's good

and bad about the build right now (Also post any good CPU fans or SSDs).

I all try to treat you equally with the same respect and I think I failed o.O

It's just because your builds. I don' know the parts that well.

I just want a bit more information on your builds. You know, pros and cons and why it has an advantage over my choice for that component.

You really helped when you explained about the cons about the Intel Core i7 965-Extreme and then

gave me another option (Intel Core i7 920)

Sure I can see you guys keeping the cost down but that's the only thing I see!

I want to know if it's better bang for buck then my choice ect.

I just feel guilty of wasting your time now.

I don't really know what to say...

(Thanks for setting me straight!)

Ok, just went through all the posts again.

Nesquick, can you please post the same PC build

from www.pccasegear.com.au with a bit more detail,

pros and cons please.

Edited by myquickacc

yep just give me a sec halfway through installing some drivers.

now lets break this build up.

System total $3430 from pccasegear.com.au

-i7 920 this one is a given as we have already established and from past experience (owned 3 i7 920's) the latest D0 stepping will allow you to overclock to about 4.0ghz on stock vcore which is pretty fast as we all know, so a good buy right there.

-EVGA SLI LE moboI have only ever heard good things about this motherboard, tried an asus P6T deluxe which the owner of now has problems with the memory channels functioning therefore I would avoid asus, Gigabyte are ok although sometimes they do some weird shit like constant post attempts at stock settings only removed via a reset of the cmos, as i said read any review the evga SLi LE is a very good board

-6gb OCZ 12800 platinum ramThis ram was the cheapest triple channel ram with a good compromise of timings and speed, OCZ is a good brand now days and you will be fine with these sticks over the way more expensive dominators

-2x HD5870's Well you could get a 5970 however since it is not a single core more powerful card in situations where crossfire cannot be used it will infact be slower than the 5870 due to the core design, also crossfire of them would be pointless as most modern GPU's plateu around 2 cores anyway in terms of performance so I think crossfire 5870's will give you many more benifets than a single or dual 5970. with the screen I suggested your also going to need some pretty powerful GPU's due to the ultra high resolution ie: a HD5770 or HD4770 ect would not cut it.

-Corsair HX850 PSUThis is one of the best PSU's out there (HX750 to) and is made of some pretty tough internal components plus corsair 7 year warranty so they stand behind their product and I have owned many corsair PSU's and cannot speak enough about how good they are.

-Gskill falcon SII 128 GB SSDThe falcon drives use the indilinix controller from memory which is one of the best in terms of SSD, the 128gb falcon is well priced in terms of $/GB and will serve you well.

-WD black 1 TB you need a decent mass storage drive, this is probably hands down the best mechanical drive on the market at the moment so you should grab it in case you get some steam games you want to back up ect

-Lian Li PC-50WB caseThis is my favorite case, change it to what you want as its not really important

-Corsair H50 all in one cpu coolerA good all in one liquid cooling system thats fairly cheap for its performance to (a few degrees worse than the TRUE and noctua coolers) however it will be quieter and won't as adversly affected by dust or corrosion, an air cooler would also be fine however such as the noctua U12P

-Logitech X540 speakersjust an ok set of speakers to help immerse you into the game, if you want headphones though ignor this

-Win 7 home premium 64bit A must, don't bother with vista anymore, and make sure you get 64bit so as to use all your ram not just 4gb

Dell 3008WFP 30inch LCD monitor@2560x1600 honestly this is one of the best monitors you can buyseconding that would be maybe the new Dell 2410 24inch LCD, don't bother withn the 1920x1080 ones they are no good for gaming although you will love me when you unbox the 3008 ;) everyone loves them,

don't pay that retail price though, wait till they are on special for $1800 then use the racq 15% off voucher to make it $1540ish

http://www1.ap.dell.com/au/en/home/monitor...s&cs=audhs1

well hope that helps

Edited by nesquick

Thanks man!

I'll probably won't get the:

1.Hard drive (Don't need it)

2.The monitor (my dad will take it for himself XD - I'll get the Asus VK266H 26inch)

3.The case, Antec Twelve Hundred I think is the best looking =P

4.OS-I got to get Ultimate

Thanks dude, I'll wait until Core i9 comes and the Nvidia (nVidia?) GT 300 series come out.

I mean, now I see. THANK YOU!

I can vouch for the OCZ ram, i7 920, Corsair HX psu, HD 5870 and WD black HDD (I have all of them) and 1080p monitors suck unless all you do on it is watch HD TV content/DVDs. There's no reason to sacrifice the extra vertical resolution if you play any games at all, it's too wide and thin. I mean, come on, the $300 CRT I had 6 years ago had 1024 vertical res?

Basically +1 nesquick.

edit: also I would think twice about getting Ultimate, I can see why people would want professional over home premium (domain networking among other things) but meh Ultimate. Anyway it's up to you I guess

Edited by turro

Thanks for the feedback!

I really appreciate you guys taking the time and effort to help me out!

Since you guys keep on saying to get the Intel Core i7 920, I'll wait for Westmere and make up my mind.

I'll also think about changing the motherboard because Westmere could have a different architecture.

But do I really need a CPU fan?

Because shouldn't the Antec Twelve Hundred be enough?

shame to spoil such a nice setup with a case like that, i would get a nice silver stone or lian li

You guys really think that all I need is 750W?

80% of that is 600W.

I believe I should still get the Antec TruePower Quattro 1200W.

your wasting your money, i run 7 HDD + a q6700 + 2x 8800gt all over clocked and i dont even max out my 850 watt antex quattro ( also it has yellow racing stripes)

THE ARE LOTS OF GUIDES ON THE INTERNET ON HOW TO BUILD A COMPUTER BUT THEY ONLY COVER THE MAIN PARTS LIKE

THE CPU, MOTHERBOARD, RAM, OS AND THE FINAL TEST OF WILL IT WORK. NO PSU, CABLES, OPTICAL DRIVE ECT..

most of the time, providing your not an idiot it will work, just as long as you dont mix up amdcpu with intel mobo or get the wrong graded ram, so take it it will work but your system is only as good as its slowest component

I would just like to get a cheap hard drive, a SSD was my first choice but I only used about 30GB

on my old computer, PC Authority has this on its A-List as a second choice (1st choice: Seagate Barracude 7200.12 (1TB)

It's just hard drives are cheaper..

I having used ssd, wd raptor and regulars, ssd is great for portable use but its not fiscally viable getting them for pc ( for me any way) due to all my photography, video, cad and engineering work i keep on my main computer, i used regular 7200 rpm hdds and with ouot it nociabbly effecting my game play.

I would like to buy the Microsoft Sidewinder X8 Mouse, but I'll think about changing the Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard

to a Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Keyboard..

I use a microsoft intelli mouse

G-Skill RAM looks like a high performance RAM company as you say but both Atomic KitLogs have Corsair RAM in the Dream PC section. I want the best RAM.

get mushkin in that case

Are you sure the Asus audio card will be good enough for the headset? Or is the integrated onboard Realtek audio card sufficient for the

Plantronics Gamecon 777?

if you get a soundcard it should be an emu 1616 propper refference shit, they are PLANTRONIC EARPHONES not senhiser hd850's, also onboard sound is pretty good especially on cd's, i wouldnt bother with a soundcard unless it was going to my hifi system and amp ( custom built speakers)

I only need just a basic bang for buck CD-ROM player (don't know how to install it tho but we'll discuss that later) for the installation cds.

I don't even know how to burn and I don't watch movies.

no offence but if your just gaming why dont you get a console and an epic tv, would be cheaper and seem less of a waste

I want Windows 7 Ultimate for my OS. BitLocker and XP Mode I need!

I reckon the 4770 is a good bang for buck GPU because the 5970 is $649 on Amazon but the 4770 is $114.14 but Windows 7 can use DirectX 11.

I think I saw a over-clocking guide on the forums here so I'll check that out soon.

The Asus VK266H I have to say is a bit far but I can spend it. I definitely want a 24inch+ monitor and to have 2ms grey to grey response time.

and of course with good picture quality

response time is a load of baloney, i used to game highly competitivly, e.g. high on the ga ladder for many years in all sorts of games using an 8ms acer screen i got second hand, the image quality was average but its stupid and overhyped l

I'll definitely try to over-clock the CPU if I can and if I have good cooling.

I would try to get liquid cooling but I have no idea how to install that and I don't think much people do either except for the people like you =p

Well the Asus VK266H has a web camera, integrated speakers and an integrated microphone.

Now time for the PSU.

I'm probably most likely going to get the Intel Core i7 920 CPU and over-clock it

so I think I'll keep the Antec TruePower Quattro 1200W PSU, because I

want to overclock just the once ATI 5870 and my RAM.

But will this G.SKILL RAM work on my GA-X58A-UD7 motherboard?

G.SKILL RAM Link: http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=251

Gigabyte motherboard link: http://www.gigabyte.com.au/Products/Mother...ame=GA-X58A-UD7

Also, can anyone tell me the tools I need to build it (I know I need to get special demagnitized tools and an anti-ground something) but I need a full all-in-one set, my dad is pestering me.

Thanks!

Edited by myquickacc

true power quattro's are getting old, you would be much better off with a corsair HX850, the rig you plan would be hard pressed drawing over 500w in normal conditions.

Demagnetised tools ? All I use is a magnetised phillips head screw driver it holds the screws in place while screwing down the mobo. I have some precision screw drivers but hardly ever use them. As for static I just touch the case each time before touch anything else in the computer. Never killed one yet. :)

+1 to nesquick, that PSU is over kill, but you have your heart set on it so meh.

Demagnetised tools ? All I use is a magnetised phillips head screw driver it holds the screws in place while screwing down the mobo. I have some precision screw drivers but hardly ever use them. As for static I just touch the case each time before touch anything else in the computer. Never killed one yet. :)

yep I just use a normal phillips head screwdriver and a leatherman (multi tool, pliers come in handy) to do any builds, same with the static just touch the case and don't rub your feet on the carpet and you will be fine.

So I can touch the CPU with my bare hands after I touch the case?

And I keep the strict rule of touching the case before I touch anything else and don't step on carpet.

Also, I can just use the existing tools I have right?

I'll check in the morning tomorrow to see if I have any pliers.

I just hope you can buy them at Bunnings.

I also need help taking apart my old computer.

My dad said he will only buy me the DREAM PC if I show him

that I can take apart my old PC and then put it back together

and make it work.

I can't pull it apart tho, the top and one side have these screws that

have circle holes in them. So my ordinary screwdrivers can't unscrew them.

Is their any tool I can to unscrew it?

I need to get to the other side of the case to unscrew the screws on the other side.

I think I broke one of the power pins on the motherboard

and I touched the motherboard without touching the case first

a few times. (I've touched the case sometimes)

I don't know if the computer will work now o.O

I think I'll take the Corsair HX 1000 instead of the Corsair HX 850 because I'm going to try and overclock.

I want to definetly overclock the Intel Core i7-920 to 4ghz

and I'll try to overclock the ATI Radeon HD 5870 and the RAM.

But first, do you know if that G-Skill RAM will work the GA-X58A-UD7?

The links in my last post are the specifications on the manufracturers websites.

I'm near the final stages =p

Thanks!

let me get this straight, so your dad is letting you build a 5k machine and you don't even know how to remove a disk drive properly? best of luck mate your gonna need it.