Sign in to follow this  
pandemonium

Windows Device Manager

Been getting a few random crashes with Win7 64 where my PC freezes, mostly when I go to watch flash clips like youtube. It also has a buzzing sound coming through the speakers when it freezes that keeps buzzing until I reboot.

So I was checking event manager (no luck there) besides being told my PC unexpectedly shut down ....

Had a look in Device Manager and found I had one of those little yellow ! in Storage Controllers.

AVEFODEC IDE Controller.

WTF?

First thing I did was a google search and it comes up with nothing. Zip, zero not a thing on this one.

Funny thing is, all my drives are SATA, I don't have any IDE drives anyways ....

So what does someone do in a situation like this?

Post it on Atomic :P

LOL if anyone out there knows what the hell AVEFODEC IDE Controller is about, I'd appreciate the info.

Cheers.

Well, what you think is SATA or IDE, and what the mobo reports as IDE might be different.

Messing with settings in your BIOS can set SATA modes to legacy IDE etc and that might cause the mobo to put an entry into the device pool.

Did you funk around with any SATA BIOS settings recently?

OK, that's a new one. You have your hard drives in SATA(AHCI) or IDE/PATA mode? - which is set in the BIOS. You don't have any weird IDE RAID cards?

one of your devices is borked - I've had strange things appear in Device Manager like that, it's generally been a peripheral, like a shorted audio lead.

you may have to update the BIOS as well as remove the dodgey device, to actually remove it from in Device Manager