Sign in to follow this  
mohawk

R18+ Classification for Computer Games - Public Consultation

I think there are 'interest groups' who have been trying to sabotage this from the very beginning. Any excuse will do.

Edited by gyrus

Basically, we're getting R18. It's pretty much what I said back in May. Brendan O'connor, receiving no "no" votes during the discussion will be introducing the R18 classification on a Federal level by the end of the year, this means it will be up to the states to adopt the classification guidelines as presented by the Feds (8 of 9 states have said yet) or regulate it independantly under these guidelines (NSW). If NSW descides to back out and say no R18... well pretty much tough shit to em and good luck enforcing it, because the rest of the states will have it and we dont screen domestic mail.

Yes, I'd wager, however, that the R18+ category being planned is watered down rubbish:

“At the moment the most popular adult themed games that are played only lawfully by adults around the world are played by 15 year-olds here," he said. "That will change as a result of the introduction of the R18 [classification].”

“And we'll still keep out violent, very violent, sexually violent games. They'll be prohibited from access lawfully in this country." - Brendan

The new R18+ category could simply be MA15+ re-badged. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised because the Australian Christian Lobby claimed that they supported the R18+ decision recently. Stupid politicians!