accordingly regarding games, at this point any CPU exceeding 4.5ghz will not gain increase in performance. (even Crysis)

for xfire 4.0ghz would be desirable, not maintaining the CPU at this level means that your 920 (stock) @ xfire would not be fully utilize (graphics card bottle necking the CPU).

Well its your lucky day index680i are a few of us are doing overclocking tutorials

& 3.6-4ghz would be good.

Well even if the 5850 runs much cooler, I'd rather have the extra performance becuase if I wanted to get roughly 5870 speeds or a bit over then you would need a second 5850 card (I suspect anyways) Might just get 2x 5870 in CF.

With 2 5850s in crossfire, performance is MUCH better than a single card index.

They're honestly not that far apart at stock, factor in a second card and an overclock, and 2 5850s are very, very powerful.

Of course dude, any two cards is more powerful than just one on its own ;)

Then why did you say this:

Well even if the 5850 runs much cooler, I'd rather have the extra performance becuase if I wanted to get roughly 5870 speeds or a bit over then you would need a second 5850 card (I suspect anyways) Might just get 2x 5870 in CF.

Look at the benchmarks man, the 5850 really isnt that far behind the 5870.

Does anyone know what the heating temperatures of the 5970, 5870 or the 5750 are or a link to a website that says it?

It's best for you to look at the reviews of those cards.

the 58xx and 59xx are all in the high 80's the 57xx are in the low 70's

In games?

Mine barely reach 80 in furmark and struggle to hit 70 in games. Thats at 24% fan speed.

Alot cooler than the 4xxx series.

Only biased people will say that one completely is better than the other. as far as I can tell it's damn nice comptetition between the two, especially when nvidia pulls out their directx 11 cards.

is 24% auto?

since I don't own one I have to go off what benchmarks say.

Yeah, 24% is auto at idle, doesnt move much off that ingame though, according to afterburner.

Of Course At The Moment It's ATI With There New HD 5800 Radeon Series. The Stats For Them Are:

ATI Radeon HD 5870:

Video Memory: 1GB GDDR5

Engine Clock: 850Mhz

Video Clock: 1200Mhz (4.8Gbps)

Memory Interface: 256bit

DirectX Support: 11

Output: Dual DVI + HDMI + Display Port

Price: RRP $500 (Give Or Take A Bit)

ATI Radeon HD 5850:

Engine Clock: 725Mhz

Video Clock: 1000Mhz (4.0 Gbps)

Price: RRP $400 (Give Or Take A Bit)

Of Course At The Moment It's ATI With There New HD 5800 Radeon Series. The Stats For Them Are:

ATI Radeon HD 5870:

Engine Clock: 850Mhz

Video Clock: 1200Mhz (4.8Gbps)

Price: RRP $500 (Give Or Take A Bit)

ATI Radeon HD 5850:

Engine Clock: 725Mhz

Video Clock: 1000Mhz (4.0 Gbps)

Price: RRP $400 (Give Or Take A Bit)

so basically the engine and video clock are better, btw thxs for the comparsion chris, does anyone hav that info to put up for the 5970?

Radeon 5970

Manufacturer: ATi

Series: Radeon HD 5k

GPU: RV870 x 2

Release Date: 2009-11-18

Interface: PCI-E 2.0 x16

Core Clock: 725 MHz

Memory Clock: 2000 MHz (4000 DDR)

Memory Bandwidth: 256 GB/sec

Shader Operations: 2320000 MOperations/sec

Pixel Fill Rate: 46400 MPixels/sec

Texture Fill Rate: 116000 MTexels/sec

Vertex Operations: ? MVertices/sec

Max Power Draw: 300 W

Noise Level: Loud

Framebuffer: 2048 MB

Memory Type: GDDR5

Memory Bus Type: 64x4 (256 bit)

DirectX Compliance: 11.0

OpenGL Compliance: 3.2

PS/VS Version: 5.0/5.0

Process: 40 nm

Fragment Pipelines: 3200 (1600)

Vertex Pipelines: 0

Texture Units: 160 (80)

Raster Operators 64 (32)

WIN!

Radeon 5970

Manufacturer: ATi

Series: Radeon HD 5k

GPU: RV870 x 2

Release Date: 2009-11-18

Interface: PCI-E 2.0 x16

Core Clock: 725 MHz

Memory Clock: 2000 MHz (4000 DDR)

Memory Bandwidth: 256 GB/sec

Shader Operations: 2320000 MOperations/sec

Pixel Fill Rate: 46400 MPixels/sec

Texture Fill Rate: 116000 MTexels/sec

Vertex Operations: ? MVertices/sec

Max Power Draw: 300 W

Noise Level: Loud

Framebuffer: 2048 MB

Memory Type: GDDR5

Memory Bus Type: 64x4 (256 bit)

DirectX Compliance: 11.0

OpenGL Compliance: 3.2

PS/VS Version: 5.0/5.0

Process: 40 nm

Fragment Pipelines: 3200 (1600)

Vertex Pipelines: 0

Texture Units: 160 (80)

Raster Operators 64 (32)

WIN!

Interesting, wat site did u get that from raradawg and does this card hav 2 cards in it rather than 1? And how much video memory does it hav?

Just to confirm, wat does everybody think r the main differences between the 5870 and 5970?

As cyber said, its 2 5870s, with a lower clock.

725/1000 vs 850/1200 I believe.

Seriously guys... It's more like 2x 5850s but the 5850s have locked TMUs @ 72 rather than 80 which is on the RV870... but implemented on the 5870 and 5970 and not the 5850...

Same thing with "Fragment Pipelines"...meant to be 1600, but locked at 1440 on the 5850. These pipelines are unlockable. ^^

They're honestly not that far apart at stock, factor in a second card and an overclock, and 2 5850s are very, very powerful.

Nuke what it boils down to is, the better performance with what ever budget your set on.

If 5850 is not that far behind than its still not as good as the 5870 in benchmarks regardless of it being a little behind, while if your buying a budget system or graphics card, then yes doing a 5850 in CF would work effectively with the budget and performance. However it is still not on top of the 5870 in CF but we all know the 5970 is current king so if you have those babies in Quadfire then all of what we say about the 5850 VS 5870 is useless in any way shape or form :P

Plus if some of those who have a 5850 in CF or 5870 in CF it also boils down to making sure that your satisfied with the performance of your machine/ games so you would be pretty happy in any way you head towards.

Edited by index680i

Nuke what it boils down to is, the better performance with what ever budget your set on.

If 5850 is not that far behind than its still not as good as the 5870 in benchmarks regardless of it being a little behind, while if your buying a budget system or graphics card, then yes doing a 5850 in CF would work effectively with the budget and performance. However it is still not on top of the 5870 in CF but we all know the 5970 is current king so if you have those babies in Quadfire then all of what we say about the 5850 VS 5870 is useless in any way shape or form :P

Performance you wont even use.

Might not be performance that you do not use but can be beneficial in some games such as GTA IV for example.

In the long run your trying to buy a graphics card that will last you, so having extra un used performance is rather a good thing, it kinda reminds me of buying a graphics card that I know that will last me a long time before my next upgrade, but if your the kind of person who is a upgrader for every graphics card released, then yes I would consider the budget line graphics cards or if you have the money to splurge out on :P

Seriously guys... It's more like 2x 5850s but the 5850s have locked TMUs @ 72 rather than 80 which is on the RV870... but implemented on the 5870 and 5970 and not the 5850...

Same thing with "Fragment Pipelines"...meant to be 1600, but locked at 1440 on the 5850. These pipelines are unlockable. ^^

Got any links as to how to do this?

Plus if some of those who have a 5850 in CF or 5870 in CF it also boils down to making sure that your satisfied with the performance of your machine/ games so you would be pretty happy in any way you head towards.

What it boils down to is you getting defensive over your card because its been bought to your attention that a card nearly half the price of the the 5870 is only 10% slower. Noone is saying you made a bad choice index, as a matter of fact, I would love 2 5870s, although there was no way I was going to pay 700 dollars each for them, when it cost me a little over 700 to get 5850s. Price vs Performance, the 5850 is a clear winner. However, I'm not here to pimp how awesome my cards are, nor should you be. Yes, We all know that your cards are faster, and noone here is arguing that. Secondly, read your sentences before you post, let me know if you can understand what you wrote, because I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say, sounds like you're just defending your card (when as I said, noone is saying you made a bad choice)

Might not be performance that you do not use but can be beneficial in some games such as GTA IV for example.

In the long run your trying to buy a graphics card that will last you, so having extra un used performance is rather a good thing, it kinda reminds me of buying a graphics card that I know that will last me a long time before my next upgrade, but if your the kind of person who is a upgrader for every graphics card released, then yes I would consider the budget line graphics cards or if you have the money to splurge out on :P

The point is hardly whether you're "an upgrader for every graphics card ever released" or if you're someone who "has the money to splurge out on" simply put, its where the real value is.

If you cant honestly tell me that a 5870 isnt worth the extra 300 dollars (nearly double the price!) over the price of a 5850, then you're more dillusional than I though.

Once again, not pimping my purchase here, I couldnt care less what you bought and what you plan on buying in the future, but dont try to tell me, or anyone else, that 5fps is worth 300 dollars. Because it isnt, and it never will be.

Use your brain for once and just admit where the smart money is.

Got any links as to how to do this?

What it boils down to is you getting defensive over your card because its been bought to your attention that a card nearly half the price of the the 5870 is only 10% slower. Noone is saying you made a bad choice index, as a matter of fact, I would love 2 5870s, although there was no way I was going to pay 700 dollars each for them, when it cost me a little over 700 to get 5850s. Price vs Performance, the 5850 is a clear winner. However, I'm not here to pimp how awesome my cards are, nor should you be. Yes, We all know that your cards are faster, and noone here is arguing that. Secondly, read your sentences before you post, let me know if you can understand what you wrote, because I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say, sounds like you're just defending your card (when as I said, noone is saying you made a bad choice)

The point is hardly whether you're "an upgrader for every graphics card ever released" or if you're someone who "has the money to splurge out on" simply put, its where the real value is.

If you cant honestly tell me that a 5870 isnt worth the extra 300 dollars (nearly double the price!) over the price of a 5850, then you're more dillusional than I though.

Once again, not pimping my purchase here, I couldnt care less what you bought and what you plan on buying in the future, but dont try to tell me, or anyone else, that 5fps is worth 300 dollars. Because it isnt, and it never will be.

Use your brain for once and just admit where the smart money is.

I paid $585 for the 5870 its only gone up in price due to the importing problems (I think)

No I am not getting defensive at all Nuke, I am just implying the simple fact that yes okay it is value 'now' because the 5870 is like around the $689 mark and the 5850 is like around the $400 - $450.

5850 is good value for money and performance in what it does best, yes. But I simply saying that even though its a little behind, still makes the 5870 on top ;) That's all I was saying but i don't mean that in a defensive way, I mean that in a factual way and I would agree that if I was to buy a graphics card at this point in time I probably would have went for a 5850 because of the price, or if I wanted a CF setup for a new build I would absolutely get two 5850's.

For some of us we jumped in at the right time for when the 5870's where low in price and I suspect it eventually will go back down in price and will be back as the value card for 'High End' builds.

Edited by index680i