Sign in to follow this  
Greaver

Building a race sim cockpit

Hey everyone

Update 3

I will be building a fairly comprehensive setup over the next month or so similar to the pic at the bottom of the post, which will have an adjustable bucket seat, and will be painted black etc.

For now I have constructed a simple design for testing purposes, and so that I can start using my wheel properly now.

The main focus of this first project was making it as rigid as possible without sacrificing the ability to move it without castors.

I will be recording all my plans for the first project over the next few days and posting them in this thread for anyone that is interested, it will include all measurements, materials and angles.

I used copious amounts of PVA glue and recessed 4cm wood screws, and a shitload of sanding and planeing(?) on rather second hand wood due me wanting to keep all the new high quality truss timber lengths I got for the main project.

This little setup has been designed for me to use from my favourite armchair with my Logitech Driving Force GT which is due to arrive on Thursday.

The Driving Force GT only has Accelerator/Brake so the wider right hand 40degree platform is for that and the left hand 55degree platform is a foot rest, which will be carpeted.

Tomorrow I will be doing a little more sanding then coating the entire rig in that beautiful light brown timber stain often seen on expensive garage doors.

The Build

Heres the build pictures, gotta give a shout out to my grandad for his excellent help.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finished product awaiting further sanding and then the wood stain

Posted Image

The Wood Stain

Because I used three different types of wood I was a little apprehensive as to how it would turn out, and as it turns out I had every right to be in regards to the MDF, it just fucking eats the wood stain, and the stuff ain't cheap, $280 for 10 litres (My mom uses it on her garage door) so I am hoping that after a good day and a half to dry and absorb the stain it will be more receptive to another coat.

I used nice white panelled wood for the bottom which I am hoping to retain so that is being sealed off, and the crappy legs on the bottom are coming off a lot shorter so they will not be getting a good staining.

These pics are after the first coat on a few components

Posted Image

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/Rhys88/Race%20Cockpit/22122009088.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/Rhys88/Race%20Cockpit/22122009087.jpg

My second project will be a beast of similar nature to this....

I have full workplans done already and progress should commence on this after Christmas

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc26/SpaceHedgehog/G25Installed.jpg

All feedback is welcome, would love to hear what people think

Edited by TheGrEaVeR

you any good with an arc welder and steel tubes?

lol I wish mate, if I was I would knock one up easily, however I didn't do welding at school

its pretty easy with arc, you don't have to worry about the gas flow direction as with mig and you don't have to worry about the right temps of each metal as with oxy/acetalene, just don't look at it without protection, protection does not = stubbies, a singlet, double pluggers and sunnies :P

my friend got a Cigweld arcwelder for about $130 from bunnings although you could get all your steel ready and just hire one, its just since your a not a child sized man using it, metal would be the obvious choice with some killrust on the outside otherwise you will have it creaking if you use wood not to mention wood still needs a degree of skill to build with.

Am I crazy or did atomic do a racing car cockpit build tutorial a while back? For some reason I seem to remember seeing it in the mag.

Edited by discoInferno

Am I crazy or did atomic do a racing car cockpit build tutorial a while back? For some reason I seem to remember seeing it in the mag.

I remember a rig from an Atomic mag a while ago too, I'll let you know if I find it.

Yea this was in a couple of issues about a year back i think. My old mags are packed away but I'm sure someone could dig them up for you, it was pretty comprehensive.

Well I sure as fuck will NOT be using a Genius speed wheel 5

Picked one up today for $70 with the idea that if necessary I can take it back tomorrow and god does it suck, regardless of settings games do not pick up that the wheel has turned at all until it is at least 20 degrees from centre and when it snaps back to centre it rocks backwards and forwards multiple times, in general it just feels like shit

/rant

Has anyone used a Logitech Driving Force Pro GT? at this stage I will be going with this as a G27 is out of the question for now and the wheel gets good reviews.

Just won an auction for a new Driving Force Pro GT for $160nzd (130au) so I am dead chuffed.

Just finalising the plans I will use, starting with a wooden platform with seat, then I will improve and revise over time

the Logitech G25 is a very good wheel, if that's any help.....

lol Yes the G27 would be my wheel of choice, however the price tag leaves something of a gaping hole in my budget.

I have a controller. does that count?

when your done ill come round and break this for you. Oh I forgot you will have made it SUPER STRONG for when your using it.

when your done ill come round and break this for you. Oh I forgot you will have made it SUPER STRONG for when your using it.

Way to hang shit on him without actually saying anything, you big meany.

Way to hang shit on him without actually saying anything, you big meany.

Its all good, poor Gunny just has issues because hes short and fat whereas I'm rather tall and fat or well built if you choose to call it that, that's me in the photo near the top

He doesn't understand the allure of racing games with a steering wheel either so I can't put much on his words : D

I seem to be getting allot of double posts lately

Edited by TheGrEaVeR

Bit of an update, will post up the finished pics of the build above later.

Looking to start on the second Project (the shiny black one above) in a few weeks once I have everything I need

Awesome bloody start mate!!! on ya!!!

dont worry about the nay-sayers mate, i recon you rock! at least youve put your words into action are areactually building something.

looks pretty damm sturdy too..

good luck with the build. try supa cheap auto's to pick up a seat mate, they sometimes go for about $100 each on a clearance sale.

cheers

Looks cool man. I've always wanted to build something like this but have never had the funds available to start. I have a 4year old Logitech momo sitting in its box just waiting for me to start.

I don't think I would use the foot rest you have though as for some reason, when I use the wheel in games, my right foot is on the accelerator and my left foot is on the brake, working in unison. I don't know what i would do with a third peddle.

get on of those race car beds and a bit of modification your good to go

Edited by half-fix