.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

The Atomic Overclocking Guide - EOI, ideas and management

presently here is what I have at home that I can use as example machines for any overclocking.

-Phenom II 550 BE (so can do an area on unlocked multi's and unlocked cores)

-Gigabyte MA 770T UD3P

-4gb DDR3

-Q8400

-Gigabyte ep43T UD3L

-2gb DDR3

-E6750

-G31MS2L mobo

-2gb DDR2

So I could do some bits on socket 775 but the bios opions on those last 2 boards are fairly limited but its still do able.

i consider my self to be king of Photoshop, if i can make any contribution towards your project just let me know.

Just to let you guys know I'm a newbie at computers and I think this is a super duper awesome idea to learn more. I don't really see any other way where a person could learn the things you guys always help people with unless it's a profession. Will it be a while before it comes out?

Here's a brief outline of what needs to be done: http://cyb3rglitch.com/Atomic%20Overclocking%20Guide.doc

Feel free to add to this outline, there's much more that should be covered.

If you want to start writing you may. But let me know what parts you're doing. I also need recommendations for collaborating all the work we've done.

Cheers.

OK, I've assigned some writing to the people who volunteered:

Electr0: You can work on that glossary you mentioned. That'd be a great addition to the tutorial.

Fat_Bodybuilder: You've had experience with the Core 2 range of CPUs, so perhaps start with the specifics of overclocking that platform. Start with the theory for now.

Nesquick: Working on the specifics of AM2+/3 platform would be great. Just the theory for now.

mudg3: If you're willing to work with Nesquick to get the AMD side done, that'd be great. Otherwise you can work with Fat_Bodybuilder on the 775 stuff. Or both, if you're eager. :P

We'll work on the practical methodology section later. It's important that we get the theory down pat first. I'll read, check and edit the work that you guys produce. As for submitting work (complete or otherwise), I've started a Wave that we can use.

You'll have to add me to Google Wave so I can add you to the Wave we'll be using: cyb3rglitch@googlewave.com

Just add your section to the Wave.

If you don't have a Wave account, let me know. Cheers!

Who is doing nehalem?

I think he wants to use his Article that was in the magazine?

So what exactly would you like me to write about?, like a guide to overclocking the AM2/3 or just write about the jargon used in the bios?

oh and when does it have to be done by? I am having my first holiday in 18months on monday so won't be back for about a week.

I've got a spare Celeron D and a Dual Core at home... I've also overclocked an E8500 but that was a while ago. But seriously, there isn't much of a difference besides the Celeron having like a 22 multiplier and a dual having having around half of that.

I'll help out. I'll do proof reading and maybe editing possibly some writing. See what happens.

If we're getting the skeleton down first, some thoughts on Cybers word doc:

Is this about CPU overclocking only? Would be a good chance to throw in GPU's as well!.

Intro:

- Perhaps talk about power consumption and heat increases somewhere? Don't think it fits under a "risks" heading. Maybe rename to drawbacks/risks?

- Feel free to use my GPU power usage graphs from my sticky to illustrate GPU OCing power increases :) Or I could knock up a custom graph from my spread sheet if you'd like to include.

Universal Theory

- This whole category might be better subdivided into CPU, Northbridge/MCH, RAM and GPU sections?

- Cooling can add RAM and GPUs if we're doing that.

- Possibly rename "Cooling" to "Cooling types", list the various cooling solutions and perhaps say in the subheading what component(s) it's suitable for?

- Voltages can add MCH/Northbridge and GPU vcore and vmem if doing that

- This either goes in this section or the practical section, but we need mention of the software side of things. IE BIOS, software used for stability checking, checking voltages/frequencies, fan speeds etc. Possibly a whole section by itself.

- Each subsection for CPU/GPUs needs mention of temperatures. What is acceptable or dangerous etc for each.

Practical

- Overclocking will need sub sections for each CPU/GPU type, memory possibly as a different section

- Stability testing could probably be a section by itself and still be able to cover all CPU/GPU types by keeping it sort of general in nature.

- Benchmarking. Be sure to link to the various highscore threads around the forums here :P

So what exactly would you like me to write about?, like a guide to overclocking the AM2/3 or just write about the jargon used in the bios?

oh and when does it have to be done by? I am having my first holiday in 18months on monday so won't be back for about a week.

A guide basically. Explaining the jargon is the bulk of it, because the reader needs to understand what particular terms mean, and how they influence their overclock. You don't have to be very specific because that's left to the practical section. If you're not sure, you could use this as a guide: http://www.cyb3rglitch.com/tutorials/Overclock-CPUs-RAM/

But there's some inaccuracies in there, so just look at the layout rather than copying information. Having a holiday shouldn't be an issue, I can sort that out. Just post what you have on the Wave.

mark84, those additions to the intro sound great! Feel free to add them to the Wave. I agree with the rest of your points too, but I'll have to work out how to implement temperature cut-offs. Every model CPU tends to have a different heat tolerance, so it may be easier to just make 65c the universal max. temperature, and refer people to the Intel site. Also, feel free to add GPUs to the guide. I left it at CPU because I didn't want to make the guide too difficult to complete. But if you're willing to do it, I'm all for it.

In the end, if I feel that something is out of place, I can always re-arrange it. So don't feel constrained when writing the guide. Just focus on teaching complete beginners how to overclock, and everything will flow naturally. :)

Also, if people could PM me their Wave addresses, I think it'd be easier if I add you. Otherwise I don't think you show up in my contact list. Cheers.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Okay I'll get my Wave account going. I'm on holidays atm so I've been afk though I did end up taking screen shots and doing a guide with a build I did after christmas for i7 i thought it would be good as an addition though everyone else can be the judge of it.

Hey guys just wondering how the tutorial's coming along?

I worked on abit and did a few pages. But this really never cool off.