Jeff Spicoli

What Are You Cooking?

Yesterday, I was meant to make some yo-yos (the biscuits, aka melting moments in some places).

I thought they were called melting moments everywhere, where are they usually called yo-yos?

On the upside I discovered I have a lemon tree - seem to recall they take a while to fruit but heck, been here a decade and more.

Either way, once I heal up, plenty of things you can do with lemons :)

Cheers

Lemonade? The little lemon trees bred for pots fruit a lot faster in my experience. I need to buy another one of those, most of my old garden was potted but I still had to leave it all behind when I moved house last year. Only just started replacing my herb garden recently, but today we did get on with restarting our vegie garden, and filled it with vegies I don't like. :-(

As for tonight's dinner I'm tossing up between making a pizza capricciosa or Neapolitan ragu with tofu instead of beef or maybe just being lazy and pan frying the tofu. Dessert in any case will be chocolate brownies.

By the way, I keep forgetting I don't have a pizza stone at the moment. What would be the best substitute til I remember to go out and buy one?

Maybe it's a Victorian thing, I only started to hear them called 'melting moments' about five years ago.

If you have anything cast iron, that'll probably work as a fake pizza stone. At work we just use thin stainless steel trays, but I guess our ovens tend to reheat quicker after opening/closing the door.

Maybe it's a Victorian thing, I only started to hear them called 'melting moments' about five years ago.

If you have anything cast iron, that'll probably work as a fake pizza stone. At work we just use thin stainless steel trays, but I guess our ovens tend to reheat quicker after opening/closing the door.

Thanks Nich, I'll have a look in cupboards when I get home... My housemates were flooded out last year so most things in the kitchen were donated and it's quite a mish mash of things...

Pork belly.

I've got the spit going (actual timber, not Heat Beads) and I'm about to start cooking a rolled pork belly. Haven't done much too it aside from roll and truss it. Just spread a half-arsed paste of parsley, olive oil, salt and pepper on the fleshy side.

Rice... so much rice... We're cooking for an event. And I hate the smell of cooking rice.

:)

Well lemonade yes Grey, although probably not enough fruit this year but a squeeze of fresh lemon juice lifts most anything as it will in the garlic prawns I plan for tonight.

I agree with you on rice and in an open plan house the smell goes everywhere but my wife has a way with it that is done in the microwave with saffron, doesn't take long, the saffron changes the aroma considerably and I think I've mentioned before me and rice never seem to come out right, no idea why, apart from rice pudding and anyone can cook that so it's good that she has the knack :)

I'm busy dreaming up how the prawns will be, onion, yogurt, lots of garlic of course, it was on special yesterday, $2 for a decent sized bag of good firm bulbs, lots of milk, I prefer them rather liquidy otherwise the rice soaks up too much and all the usual herb and spices suspects, some cream, squeeze of lemon, some chili I think, see how it comes together )

Cheers

Today I made some chocolate and cherry fudge. Waiting 'til morning/tomorrow afternoon to see if it comes out with a nice texture like my last (white chocolate and macadamia) batch.

All I had on hand were glace cherries. I was pondering using some Griottines, but I ran out of time and was worried about how they'd hold up in the fudge, and if the kirsch would fuck with it setting.

I am thinking of perhaps doing rum and raisin for the next batch. And depending on how I go for time this coming week, I'm thinking about doing some 'almond' flavoured macarons, with amaretto ganache.

Random thing with Osso bucco.

I've just diced the osso bucco, and chucked in a lil baking pot with onions, garlic, thyme, a few other hearbs, and drowned it all in red wine. Just going to leave in the oven at 100C for two hours and see what happens.

Would be interested in knowing how your wife does the rice with saffron Chrisg. Normally I only like rice if it's in the form of risotto. Not big on mashed potatoes either but the way my ex cooked them with saffron made them yummy, so I think I'd like the rice that way too.

Made Finnish macaroni casserole tonight with tuna instead of the traditional beef, will probably cook it tomorrow with tempeh instead.

Made satay... though with ground fresh green chillies, ground peanuts, grated galangal, coriander powder, garlic powder, tamarind paste, also added some grated lime rind and soy and raw sugar. Is good.

Every time I walk into a butcher with an intended purchase and see rib eye for sale i'm lost.

I never realised saffron was meant to have a taste. I thought it was just a ridiculously priced 'natural' colouring agent.

Fudge came out, IMO, great, tho' someone commented that it could be a little bit firmer/boil the sugar a littler hotter next time. Scones seemed to come out ok, too - tender, not-dry, fine crumb - tho' like with the fudge I don't eat it often enough to know what I do/don't want in the end product :\

I never realised saffron was meant to have a taste. I thought it was just a ridiculously priced 'natural' colouring agent.

For realsies? Wow.

Another batch of stroganoff: beef stroganoff, carrot and mushroom pieces, sour cream, pepper and diced onion with Jasmine rice.

Saffron is rather expensive, understandable, the production is tedious but no, it does add a lot of flavor Nich, and a little goes a long way.

I will bow to you in anything on the desert side, and to my wife when it comes to saffron rice, anything savory I hold my own :)

My father, who was a consummate gardener, was always going to grow it for us, quite tedious apparently, he never did get to do it, but no, it adds both flavor and colour, very subtle but makes a huge difference to rice in particular.

I'm actually not sure I've ever used it in much else, maybe a soup or two, and yeah, I shudder at the price every time, but its only every couple of months :)

It is, by weight, the most expensive spice on earth, but if you read up on it you can understand why.

The pizza by the way was.... ok... think I'll just make my own next time, just need to be in the mood but more likely calzone, beats pizza hands down in my view with a bolognaise sauce poured over. Not in the least bit healthy but now and again, who cares? :)

Fish tonight, it is Friday after all, and have some delicious basa fillets waiting, plus broccoli and potatoes, will just need to dream up a caper based sauce.

No, I'm not catholic but for some reason fish almost always features on a Friday :)

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

Saffron is rather expensive, understandable, the production is tedious but no, it does add a lot of flavor Nich, and a little goes a long way.

True, that's why I'm getting a crocus plant.

I spent yesterday making a lemon tart. Mismeasured the lemon juice right into the egg and sugar mix for the curd, and so had to double the batch size I was planning on making. Which maybe kind of worked out, because when sealing some of the curd in the vacuum chamber, I didn't take out some blocks and lower the time extracting air and the curd sort of boiled and exploded out everywhere.

Cooking curd in a water bath at 81 degrees is nice and trivial, but I only had medium sized bags on hand so I felt like I wasted a bunch of time pouting it into bags and sealing them and pouring it back out when cooked through to mix in the zest. Still, no lumps of coagulated egg. The next time I make it, I'll pay more attention to straining out pieces of pith and seed so that all I need to do is remove the vanilla beans to finish it.

I did up a batch of lemon confit, and thought I'd cheat by using the slicing machine set to 2mm slices. Yay for consistancy, but boo for making them too thin. By the time the sugar syrup began turning a pale toffee colour, the flesh inside the lemons had sissolved out, only leaving candied rind. Which still worked for what I wanted to do, and made the syrup an extra nice glaze to seal the rest of the tart with, but next time I might making 3-4mm slices so that I can cover the tart with actual whole lemon slices.

I probably need to make more macarons on Saturday. I'd still like to try making almond flavoured ones, but outside of amaretto in the ganache I'm not sure what else I can do.

Ginger and orange dahl, and lots of it (for a fundraiser). Lucky lentils are cheap. (Does anyone else always associate lentils with The Young Ones?)

And lots of rice *sigh*

And tomorrow I will make the cakes: one chocolate butter cake, one vanilla butter cake that will be gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan-friendly.

I haven't made cakes in years, my kids always loved them but they've fled the nest now.

We've been mining it up with Spag Bog, with extra chili zing, fried basa fillets, garlic prawns tonight I think, and some chicken over the weekend although we did have some great steaks earlier in the week - my wife is not a fan of red meat but her son who is staying with us for a few days is.

I have everything except time to get an osso bucco together may do that next week.

Found some swordfish yesterday, kinda rare here, have some ideas.

Cheers

What're you making your gf/df/vf cake with?

The idea was to use gf self raising flour, margarine designed for baking, and egg substitute. But I couldn't find the margarine at any of my local shops and I didn't have time that morning to go further afield, and had to settle for a packet cake. It was ok though, packet mixes for allergy-friendly cakes tend to be quite tasty compared to packet mixes for regular cakes. I don't often make cakes for myself so I don't always have all the ingredients on hand.

Edited by greycat

In celebration of Queenies birthday ( cause she's British and that ) I'm making an English feast for dinner. Curry, rice and naan.

In celebration of Queenies birthday ( cause she's British and that ) I'm making an English feast for dinner. Curry, rice and naan.

In today's world you are probably right Dis - I was going to do some roast beef, until I remembered my wife doesn't like red meat much, so, peri chicken I think.

Cheers

More cakes: plain chocolate butter cake, coffee chocolate cake, and an orange chocolate cake. All for a fundraiser tonight.

My friend came round and made spinach smoothies, all I could think about was the tale of the green slushy...

Saffron is cheap as fucking chips in bali... if its real saffron...

Currently experimenting with a slow cooker rabbit stew. Im not sure how its going to turn out but we shall see I spose.

Yeah,

I recall that Mojo, not sure it would be ok to bring it in though, I'd say its cheap in the way so much in Bali is cheap, labour cost, and if I recall correctly the source plant grows easily there.

T bone steaks for step-son and I tonight, fish for the wife, dunno what to put with them yet will have to check the chiller etc.

Cheers