Jeff Spicoli

What Are You Cooking?

:)

My cooking today consisted of going to the supermarket and buying cooked chicken and salad, it's too damned hot for anything else and neither of us are spectacularly well.

It will do :)

Cheers.

I normally won't touch premade pizza bases with a barge pole, preferring to save money by using lebonese bread.

But Saturday arvo, shopping for some for dinner @ Aldi, none to be seen but they had some "Casa Barelli" stone-fired bases with imbedded olive oil, herbs and spices.

About 4 bucks for a 2-pack, medium density. I did the first one by giving it a minute in the BBQ on my pizza stone before taking out and adding the ingredients but end result was a bit over crisp.

So tonight, did it straight up. Used some actual pizza sauce from squeezy bottle instead of my usual BBQ sauce.

Gotta say, pretty good bases, I'll be back for more.

I'm prepping to do one of the more polarising dishes, you love it or you hate it - liver and bacon casserole in onion gravy with a potato crust.

We love it but don't have it too often, It's a bit of a chore to prep : :)

Cheers

NFI on that one. I'd try some but wouldn't go out of my way to create one myself.

I'd guess I do it twice a tear, it's a bit tedious but very tasty.

At the moment, doing it in easy stages because ir is damned hot here, I'm about three quarters of the way through _a bit of veg and gravy prep then assembly next.

Cheers

Feeling a bit lazy, might "cook" some Subway tonight.

liver and bacon casserole in onion gravy with a potato crust.

So... Shepherd's Pie but with offal. I think that may be a bit much for me.

liver and bacon casserole in onion gravy with a potato crust.

So... Shepherd's Pie but with offal. I think that may be a bit much for me.

All casseroles sort of have that base, the flavours change immensely depending upon the core deign and key meat however.

This is definitely not one for everyone, we just happen to love it :)

Cheers

Posted (edited)

^^^ please explain, please ? ... I get it's some sort of biscuit with lumpy stuff with what could be nutmeg sprinkled ... but there's a deeper yellowy shade in that lumpy stuff that could be butter or ... I was gonna say banana, but have changed my mind, so I won't say banana

edit: we just had some pan cooked pork chops, no frills re flavours cos they didn't need it. Served along with it was sauteed vegies with a relish finish on steamed spuds ... no pic, cos it's gone already

Edited by eveln

Choc chip biscuits - milk, white and dark chocolate shards, and the biscuit itself is mostly that colour from using only dark brown sugar in the batter.

Rice pudding has cinnamon dusted over the top.  The yellow bit may be some lemon zest but is more likely to be some cream that congealed into a skin, before I scooped it into the bowl.

I almost bought a leg of lamb and some corned beef to cook up while in town today, but the fridge is pretty full atm.

Posted (edited)

I'm liking your idea of choc-chip biscuits.

Edited by eveln

biscuits look good

pudding looks like liposuction fat stirred into cottage cheese, so it might be good

both together....WHY? 

is the pudding hot or cold?

• Haha 1

And here's me thinking I'd been a bit abrupt . Liposuction ! Just the thing to really tempt one. hahaha

I am still not drooling 😛 for the biscuits however I'definitely finish those for you

Posted (edited)

Rice pudding is good - I've not done one in a few years.  The tinned stuff e.g. Aldi makes the meal so easy though the quality is nowhere near a good homemade job.

Generally I put normal milk + condensed milk in.  Boil the rice in water first for a little bit beforehand.

Another nice addition is sliced peaches and pears.

Edited by Rybags

Never did like the stuff, now I know why 🙂

Cheers

49 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

er... not sure whats so funny eveln.  

i thought everyone knew this?

news to me mate !!

same for tapioca and junket * shudders with revolt * hurl material

Posted (edited)

🙂

Not top of my hit parade either Ev, would not have have been decades...  🙂

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

41 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Never did like the stuff, now I know why 🙂

Cheers

I'm surprised they even let you anywhere near BBQ forums, with that attitude.

• Haha 1

🙂

Apart from the fact that I basically created, with help , a nice healthy BBQ forum, I'd have to take a straw poll but I think we tend to the savory over rice mush...

No offense, the biscuits actually do look nice, I just do not have your sweet tooth.

Cheers

i like it.  but its got to be served HOT!

scandinavian style — like a hot dessert porridge, with cinnamon, sugar, a dash of milk, and a small knob of butter. 

Posted (edited)

you've almost won me there @thehung, but sadly the porridge analogy stopped me from teetering over ...I've had countless serves of hot porridge, sadly only one or two fit for time honoured remembrance

Edited by eveln

9 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

i like it.  but its got to be served HOT!

scandinavian style — like a hot dessert porridge, with cinnamon, sugar, a dash of milk, and a small knob of butter. 

'A dash of milk'. 
3L of cream, 5L of milk, 1kg of rice, and 500g of sugar.  A random assortment of lemon zest, vanilla, star anise, and cinnamon.
I think the milk part may be covered, good sir 😉

13 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Apart from the fact that I basically created, with help , a nice healthy BBQ forum, I'd have to take a straw poll but I think we tend to the savory over rice mush...

'I don't like that rice stuff it looks like fat and yuck'
'I helped make and love healthy BBQ, where a whole heap of flavour comes from slowly rendering the fat, it's so yum'

🤷‍♀️

2 minutes ago, Nich... said:

'A dash of milk'. 
3L of cream, 5L of milk, 1kg of rice, and 500g of sugar.  A random assortment of lemon zest, vanilla, star anise, and cinnamon.
I think the milk part may be covered, good sir 😉

'I don't like that rice stuff it looks like fat and yuck'
'I helped make and love healthy BBQ, where a whole heap of flavour comes from slowly rendering the fat, it's so yum'

🤷‍♀️

🙂

There may be hope for you yet   🙂

Cheers