Jeff Spicoli

What Are You Cooking?

1 minute ago, Nich... said:

'A dash of milk'. 
3L of cream, 5L of milk, 1kg of rice, and 500g of sugar.  A random assortment of lemon zest, vanilla, star anise, and cinnamon.
I think the milk part may be covered, good sir 😉

oh no no no!   as you know, theres different versions of rice pudding all over the world, and yours just happens to be from somewhere that has it all wrong :P

there should be ZERO added cream.  just pre-boiled rice simmered in milk to a fairly dense consistency.  then an extra dash of milk when serving (so the milk around the edges of the bowl is coldish while the middle of pudding is still hot enough to peel the skin off the roof of your mouth)  + sugar  + cinnamon (or any chai / pumpkin spice) + butter.  vanilla, maybe.  but certainly none of that zest nonsense! :D

It needs the zest, given how much fat is in there - the rice is basically confit'd 😛

I've seen people do... something, with this recipe, such that it has the consistency of baked rice pudding, and that definitely needs some milk to loosen it up.

37 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

oh no no no!   as you know, theres different versions of rice pudding all over the world, and yours just happens to be from somewhere that has it all wrong :P

hahahahahahahahahhaaha

... and then Nich has the nerve to talk about something that comes out like a baked monstrosity ! lol ... and talk about milk loosening it up ... pass the bucket please ?!

3:1:1 (SR flour, cream, lemonade) is indeed a quick and easy scone recipe, but I'm not particularly happy with the results.

Also quite unhappy at the dearth of recipes online for yeast-risen scones.

37 minutes ago, Nich... said:

3:1:1 (SR flour, cream, lemonade) is indeed a quick and easy scone recipe, but I'm not particularly happy with the results.

Also quite unhappy at the dearth of recipes online for yeast-risen scones.

how the did the taste/texture fall short?

why the interest in using yeast? 

9 hours ago, @~thehung said:

how the did the taste/texture fall short?

why the interest in using yeast? 

Yeast gives a better flavour profile, rather than tasting vaguely of unreacted baking powder in the flour.

Fresh from the oven the crumb was fine but maybe too dense.  Bland as in, maybe more salt, and more sugar.

I get scones are meant to be a delivery vehicle for, say, jam or butter or cream, but I feel like they should be perfectly edible and satisfying on their own, in a way that damper isn't.

🙂

Didn't even bother to look at the video.

I don't really take much notice of cream differences in most recipes, unless it explicitly says thickened or clotted, I'd just go with what she says in the video.

I do have a copy of the CWA cookbook somewhere though, pretty practical about such things as in "use what you have." 🙂

Cheers

52 minutes ago, Nich... said:

I get scones are meant to be a delivery vehicle for, say, jam or butter or cream, but I feel like they should be perfectly edible and satisfying on their own, in a way that damper isn't.

Yeah, maybe, but ultimately, nup 😉

If you look at the history of scones ( and damper ) though, doesn't it make sense that they be the result of needs must moments ? What's left in supplies at home and on droving or paddock runs . I mean if you want to make something that doesn't necessarily require cream, jam, butter then you make a cake ... which sorta means you have more supplies on hand, yes ?

( I recall not liking the end result of tackiness in my mouth from too many scones, and that'd be from the unreacted baking powder in the flour as you say above.)

I've not looked at the links, but it's bloody news to me to see them made with lemonade

Edited by eveln

🙂

As I said, I rarely make them but my reaction to Lemonade scones was much the same Ev.

My mother came across it decades ago in the CWA cookbook, tried it and the family members that are regular scone makes have been doing it ever since.

(The next question is going to be regular or diet ? 🙂 )

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

1 hour ago, Nich... said:

I feel like they should be perfectly edible and satisfying on their own, in a way that damper isn't.

Pumpkin scones!

4 minutes ago, twinair said:

Pumpkin scones!

* vomits * ... actually more like * gags * cos they wouldn't make it to a full swallow for me

32 minutes ago, chrisg said:

I don't really take much notice of cream differences in most recipes, unless it explicitly says thickened or clotted, I'd just go with what she says in the video.

Yeah, what's a difference of 20-30% fat between friends.

2 minutes ago, eveln said:

* vomits * ... actually more like * gags * cos they wouldn't make it to a full swallow for me

I love pumpkin!

2 minutes ago, Nich... said:

Yeah, what's a difference of 20-30% fat between friends.

🙂

Less than you might think probably, given the quantities, but does cream really vary by that much ? I've never looked, other than that I pretty much never buy single cream, might as well use full cream milk. Here in S.A. we do enjoy superb cream right on our doorstep with the hills farmers so close. W.A. wasn't bad but S.A. is far better.

No,  I'm not mad on pumpkin scones either, but, to each their own.

Cheers

3 hours ago, twinair said:

I love pumpkin!

nevermind, we all have our issues ;)

🙂

I guess their rep was permanently scarred by Lady Jo's recipe (not that I ever made it) the joke of political society back in the day  🙂

Cheers

Not cooking per se - but I've waited 200 days for this beauty!  My home made Coppa

E3F99942-11EF-4E59-A48C-10B87D24CE45.jpg.10079159ffc86152794782177ef118c6.jpg

• Like 1

Holy Hannah Dev !!

Brilliant !!!

Let the boys know, they will be rapt 🙂

Cheers

• Like 1

Have done!  I sadly lost a fair bit of the 2nd batch through black mould spores - from hanging too close to the brine tank in the coolroom and some *ahem* males not being careful enough with the hot water hose, letting steam & condensation rise.  Lesson learnt - I'll not hang them that close again haha.  I've got one more to finalise drying - my Lomo Di Cerdo - that one has another 65 days to go 😕

• Sad 1

I'm ignorant. Had to google that coppa stuff. 200 days . mmmmmmmm how, or what will you serve it with DEVERE ? It sounds like it requires an entrance to any table

22 hours ago, Nich... said:

Yeast gives a better flavour profile, rather than tasting vaguely of unreacted baking powder in the flour.

Fresh from the oven the crumb was fine but maybe too dense.  Bland as in, maybe more salt, and more sugar.

ive never been sure what scones are meant to be.  had them once or twice as a kid, and once or twice as part of Devonshire Tea. never really sought them out, because they always seemed like improbably glorified damper to me. 

question is, assuming yeast is non-standard, how far can you go before youre not making a scone any more, but something else that already has a different name?

personally, i prefer something like pulla (yep, more scandinavian shit :D) which is yeast based, and that dough without the cinnamon/cardamom and maybe a bit less sugar could work.