Jeff Spicoli

What Are You Cooking?

Those who are into making the more... well something that requires more than boiling water, any chance of some recepies being posted that even a cooking illiterate geek like my self could follow?

Those who are into making the more... well something that requires more than boiling water, any chance of some recepies being posted that even a cooking illiterate geek like my self could follow?

Sure thing, when I get home. But, if you give me some ideas for what you've got on hand, or things you'd like to try, I can suggest you something that will suit you more.

:)

It's been a bit crazy busy here the past few weeks so less cooking time, but we've been doing ok.

Last night was a sort of bolognaise, onion and garlic cooked in butter with some rosemary and oregano then good mince cooked slowly with it and a can of Italian tomatoes, some tomatoa paste, pepper and salt and a cup of water before letting it simmer for a goodly while. then finally added some fresh broccolli and cooked until that was done.

Served it all mixed in with bowtie pasta and parmesan - no one complained, and enough left over that I don't need to cook tonight :)

I have my butcher ageing a beef girello for me for the next couple of weeks, then I'm throwing a dinner party and cooking a wellington, so I guess I'd better make some pate :)

Cheers

Sure thing, when I get home. But, if you give me some ideas for what you've got on hand, or things you'd like to try, I can suggest you something that will suit you more.

I'm happy to try anything new, that I can whip together easy. :)

Breakfast burrtios appartnely

Hi jeff!!! So good to see you again!!

This is not tantryl by the way. It's hi cat. Who is a really coordinated tperyr...

Im having beer battered chicken wedges, and little creatures beer

Sounds damn good. Give 'Wicked Elf Pale' by The Little Brewery a try. It's a fantastic craft brewery brewed ale - tastes better than the Little Creatures too. Nom!

I had leftover roast chicken boob on brown bread. This is one of my latest speciality dishes.

Wrap chicken breast, cheese (recommend a strong cheddar, or swiss) and seeded mustard in bacon. Bake in a medium oven for about half an hour - 40 minutes (I cut the breast to check before removing it). Done. If you want to put some veg in at about the 20 minute mark go for it. I use sweet potato, carrot, capsicum and onion (with a dob of golden syrup to make it go all caramally).

Bloody beautiful meal if I do say so myself. Impresses the olds too - especially served up with a baked rolls (I cheat and use the 5 minute 'bake at home' ones and just brush them with olive oil and mixed herbs before baking to make them look like I did it all myself. =)

About 5-10 minutes prep time in all, and you have a meal to impress the parents / girlfriend / random friends with.

my daughter cooked tonight.... some mince/pasta dish with enough curry powder to heat up the entire east side of Esperance :P The custard she just handed me is pretty damned good though.

Tonight was to be the holy trinity of canned goods.

Borlotti beans, Italian tomatos and sardines in a saucepan of garlic, olive oil and onion.

Sweet cans.

Alas, my mate came over and it ended up being kebabs.

Careful Jeff...you'll forget how to cook.

1kg mince

1 finely diced onion

tspn garlic

2 eggs

about 5 cups of bread crumbs

hmmmm

500g pork mince

500g beef mince

2 handfulls breadcrumbs (I use two fresh breadrolls[white knotted] put through the blender for a few seconds)

2 tbsp dried oregano

1 tbsp fresh rosemary (chopped)

1/2tsp cumin seed, 1 tsp corriander seed (pan fry and grind yourself!)

3-4 small red chilli, deseeded & chopped

fresh ground pepper & some seasalt (or murray river inland salt flakes!)

1 egg

Mix, drool at the smell and cook with a bit of olive oil and a few extra sprigs of rosemary when there 3/4 done.

I use them in spaghetti but they would go well in a number of situations. If using in spaghetti, use the thick variety and throw in with the meatballs and rosemary once you have boiled and drained it.

As for tonight: potato and lentil croquetes.

500g potato, cooked & mashed

400g can chickpeas, drained & mashed

1/2 cup lentils, boiled & drained

fry:

2 rashes bacon, chopped

3 spring onions, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

3 small red chilli, deseeded, chopped

when the bacon is browned add all of the above and mix with 2 tbsp chopped corriander.

roll into 1-1.5cm diameter sticks about 5 cm long and coat in breadcrumbs or crushed cornflakes (I want to try spiced breadcrumbs)

bake in oven until crumbs start to brown.

serve with dip - lime mayo? grabb a quantity of whole egg mayo and add lime juice/rind to taste. The tang complements the chilli nicely.

Smoke Salmon and pasta.

In any form, I love pasta and smoke salmon.

be it in chives and cream/butter sauce or english rockets, lemon juice and cream/butter sauce. with lots of cracked peppers. YUMMY!!

Steam ginger and shallot fish, (chinese style).

BBQ Lamb cutlets with olive oil and rosemary marinate. pinch of sea salt and fresh cracked peppers, served with angel hair and pasto. and salad.

and my favourite of them all, TAKEAWAY!!, lol

Migoreng.... 3 years since the first taste and I still love it.

Though tonight I had ravioli with bacon cabonara sauce.

I made a ridiculously good dinner last week and it was dead easy. Got the recipe from a website.

Steak with caramelised onions in red wine jus and sweet potato mash

4 steaks (whichever you want, I went with scotch fillet)

2 brown onions

6 sweet potatoes

100ml of red wine

Rocket (or any other leafy salad)

shaved parmesan

butter

milk

Mash

Peel the sweet potatoes and and place them into a saucepan of water. Add a bit of salt, then bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain water, add a bit of milk (and cream if you wish) and salt then mash.

Steak

Heat a pan and place a good chunk of butter on it. Once melted, add the steak and cook to taste on medium to high heat (I usually go 2 or 3 minutes each side). Remove.

Once all the steaks are done, add more butter and sliced onion to the pan and mix with the residue. Add the red wine and allow to sit until it has reduced slightly.

Get a large round plate and spoon the mash in the centre. Add the steak on top of the mash, then add caramelised onions on top of steak. Pour the wine jus over the steak, then top with rocket/salad and a few slices of parmesan.

Serves 4.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c339/mtechong/Image053.jpg

I made a ridiculously good dinner last week and it was dead easy. Got the recipe from a website.

Steak with caramelised onions in red wine jus and sweet potato mash

4 steaks (whichever you want, I went with scotch fillet)

2 brown onions

6 sweet potatoes

100ml of red wine

Rocket (or any other leafy salad)

shaved parmesan

butter

milk

Mash

Peel the sweet potatoes and and place them into a saucepan of water. Add a bit of salt, then bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain water, add a bit of milk (and cream if you wish) and salt then mash.

Steak

Heat a pan and place a good chunk of butter on it. Once melted, add the steak and cook to taste on medium to high heat (I usually go 2 or 3 minutes each side). Remove.

Once all the steaks are done, add more butter and sliced onion to the pan and mix with the residue. Add the red wine and allow to sit until it has reduced slightly.

Get a large round plate and spoon the mash in the centre. Add the steak on top of the mash, then add caramelised onions on top of steak. Pour the wine jus over the steak, then top with rocket/salad and a few slices of parmesan.

Serves 4.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c339/mtechong/Image053.jpg

Mmmmmmm orgasms :P

That sounds absolutely delightful.

I'm just learning to cook, doing it once a week at home so I was absolutely stoked with how well it turned out!! And it was sooo easy too.

Judging from that pic, you're doing dam well mate. Even stacking and all!

You've just inspired me to try some new stuff.

Lately I've only been using my head and not my cookbooks.

I had my first go @ home made minestrone last week, & fugg me if it wasn't the tastiest thing i've done....

= http://www.users.on.net/~ralfi/IMG_0874_1.JPG

More pics! I'm so stoked about people that photograph their own food.

I used to do it but stopped for some reason.

One day I was cleaning out my photo folder and I discovered all the photos I took. It was like a visual diary. I didn't even remember a quarter of the things about my learning curve that those photos told me.

They are some real classy Minestrone contents. Now, just for comparison...I dare you to go and buy a can of Minestrone off the shelf.

Sit down, eat it...and pat yourself on the back for being just plain awesome.

Lamb shank in Minestrone? Too good.

Now, just for comparison...I dare you to go and buy a can of Minestrone off the shelf.

Oh, i've got tins of the stuff in the pantry, Jeff - always loved my minestrone, so if I can't be stuffed cooking anything, I heat up a tin of Country Ladle. I'm finding i'm using them less these days, which is a good sign I guess

More pics? Haven't really taken much else, apart from a pasta al forne I did + meatballs. I'll find it later...